Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Immortal Campaign

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Immortal Campaign

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I first got the idea from Deities and demigods, a supplement to the D&D roll playing game, and I was wondering how to go about it. a party of immortal(near) beings, and there adventures. weather fighting off the endless armys of hell or bringing a temporary peace to the holy land, a campain were the players are like normal players,+ one or two godly effects.

I would like to here the thoughts and opinion's of GM's and players, to see if any of these sound fun.

My first idea was for the players to be the guardian deities of a small village, there job is to have the village thrive, prosper, and grow, they live as long as the village lives, and if slain, will be reborn soon, the only way to truly die is to have the village "die", or to have them eaten or destroyed by a Immortal far more powerful then themselves.

Advantages I See:
    binds the party together, even with different alignments they can get along, so what if the CE barb god wants the people to be like the Huns of the ancient world and the LG paladin god wants them to embark on a crusade, threw divine metallings, near anything is possible.

disadvantages I See: you cant really leave the village and constantly in the same place might be boring

My Second was for each player to be a quasi God, the son of a god, or a mortal that became one, and they must spread there pantheon(the party) religion around the world, threw the use of profits and minions, they must survive the test of time, holy wars, and all manor of catastrophe to see if they can become a great religion, or die trying ^.^

Advantages I See: for players who love to make characters, they can make several in depth profits, as well as curses and your own dogma with monsters, kinda like being a mini GM.

disadvantages I See: you cant really use your god character all that much, and making a bunch of profits can be hard.

Side note:
    am very sure i used the wrong spelling of profits, but am a book keeper, so its all I know

My third idea would probably be the essayist to make and that is gods water boy, your a henchmen for the gods, if they got some misc task they need done, guess who's the luck son of a gun who gets to carry Kords golf clubs?

Advantages I See:
    Very similar to a normal campaign, except for that there would be a bit more contact with immortal beings.

disadvantages I See:the party gets pushed around a lot and that could very quickly get boring/annoying.

The last issue I need some help with is the all important "gods rule book" Ive been trying to draft some basic rules for immortals as to explain why there hardly around, and hardly do much. Also why when the demon army attacks they holy city, the god sends some lv 7 noob out instead of dusting off the old battle Axe. so far Ive been going with the whole "gods can not fettle in mortal affairs", but I think I need more meat, and most likely more then one law.

Can I count on you guys and gals for your help in getting this strait? or your opinion on the matter.

Thanks for your time

Downloads
    Uploads
    My old DM tried a game like this expect we were all kings of our own lands on a continent. It was great for about 3 weeks, then the cloaks were on and daggers came out. we were at each others throats pretty quickly once we realized we were each running low on resources.

I think to much control over things leads to everyone trying to gain more control.

It sounds like a really cool idea and with the right group and forward thinking it could be great.

although having the village eventually enter into civil war or break off with different areas for each god or something would be neat.
    "No amount of preparation can compare to pure dumb luck"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D expert has put out rules for playing immortals

http://www.retroroleplaying.com/cdnd...mortalsset.php

Whether you want to lift some stuff from that is up to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the link ill try to use it! thanks for all the comments, I think ill be able to use this information to help my campaign! but am wondering how I could keep the players from cutting each other down.

thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LordChicken View Post
    but am wondering how I could keep the players from cutting each other down.
    Give them a common enemy that together they can counter, individually they are no match.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevek View Post
    My old DM tried a game like this expect we were all kings of our own lands on a continent. It was great for about 3 weeks, then the cloaks were on and daggers came out. we were at each others throats pretty quickly once we realized we were each running low on resources.
    Interesting...

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my friend's campaign (3.5e homebrew world) did something like this.
    I helped him design a 20 Level breakdown of Divine Rank 0.
    Basically it accounts for the 20 Outsider HD each Diety has by breaking down the advancement of Divine Rank 0. Rather than making them all ultra-powerful immediately, they actually earn it via the RP experience. Gaining each of the abilities/powers gradually.
    It became the player's choice weather to advance their class or their DR status as they leveled up.
    We added in that the DR0 levels did not count towards 'Epic' when dealing with advancement of abilities.

Made for some intersting play.
    Bill
    The Yeti aka Magnus the Archmage
    ~"Henry Bowman lives within each and everyone of us, and it's time to start acting like it. "
    A Story Hour set in Valus by Funeris
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=97346
    My SH Set in Valus 20yrs after Funeris's Valus SH
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133211
    Bryon_Soulweaver - "Stupid nobles, hope Mangus blasts them (and I woundn't doubt if he could)."
    Funeris's 2nd SH(he isDM)
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=130328

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    as the village thrives it could expand, eventually becoming two or three villages... a thorp, maybe even a small town. so long as the 'believers' continue to expand, they could wind up governing a whole state, province, or country... that would certainly give you more scope to work with.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tie them into a town or group of villages with a common mythos of a small pantheon, as in they all worship a set of gods in everyday life. So and so for fertility, so and so for warlike activities, so and so for death , or healing, etc....

But stress that these people all believe strongly in all of them equally for different taska, but hold the faith with all. Old school nomadic barbarians, and alot of old paganism is based on the multi-god/demigod mythos.

Ride it for what ya can ge... lol

Also, it might be neat, to make them all Tiefling or Ghaele characters too. Just add in a little godlike control over the levels, and poof. Planetouched entry into demigod-hood.
    Last edited by Sneaksta; 01-22-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    A Rope IS too a weapon. Be Sneaky!
    I would ask a penny for my thoughts, but.... I don't have change...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can find it there is a Lizards book called "The Primal Order". It is the Ur document from which the D&D god rules were extracted. It describes exactly such a game.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have only ever inserted one god into a game - she's awesome and crops up when I DM from time to time.