Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
D&D Ask Wizards: 02/05/2008 (DDi Tools on Mac/Linux Platforms?)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Wizards: 02/05/2008 (DDi Tools on Mac/Linux Platforms?)

Downloads
    Uploads

Post [AD&D] Ask Wizards: 02/05/2008 (DDi Tools on Mac/Linux Platforms?)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Ask Wizards: 02/05/2008

Are we ever going to see Mac/Linux versions of the D&Di applications?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Mac/Linux OS share compared to Windows is pretty slim isn't it? Out of their respective shares, how many are going to be D&D software users/fans? Seems like a small target audience indeed. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they went with something browser-based, they wouldn't have to worry about cross-platform development at all. (Not sure if that's viable, though--depends on their requirements...)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Given the massive popularity of the service, which seems an absolute given to me, the bandwidth required for images and maps and things of that nature would probably be in the TB or higher, every single day. Not exactly cost effective. That would be ideal though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't deal with a lot of web-technologies but it seems like you could push that kind of stuff out for clients to cache to reduce bandwidth. It could even use a torrent under the hood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is quite true. They could have some files you download that would great reduce bandwidth and loading times. There are a ton of ways they could do it. However, I fear that the web is just too insecure in the end. The security risk, assuming it is a pay service, is monumental if their systems were ever breached.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw the job posting go up for the Lead Software Developer at Wizards and drooled. Too bad I couldn't apply due to real life.

According to what they needed for the job request, it looks like the applications will be pretty cool.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I saw the job posting go up for the Lead Software Developer at Wizards and drooled. Too bad I couldn't apply due to real life.

According to what they needed for the job request, it looks like the applications will be pretty cool.

Link for the lazy?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm.. I too was under the impression that this was going to be a web-based application utilizing AJAX type technology. Well, that is indeed interesting. I'd love to get a sneak peak of what their design plans are.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...news/20071213a

Not much as far as design insight, but they are using DirectX/C++/C#, which indicates a windows based application intense in graphics rather than a pure online project.

Of course that might be just one part of the application suite. They definitely will have online stuff too. Who knows how it'll turn out.
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-05-2008 at 01:20 PM.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    DirectX doesn't necessarily mean that it will be graphic intensive. I've played many a crappy and GUI simple game that utilized DirectX. Some memories you wish you could just erase

Downloads
    Uploads
    DirectX is a black art that few learn well enough to survive the big leagues. Those that do are hailed as saints in the computer gaming field, and all others fall by the wayside.

Fortunately, XNA is out, capable of writing for XBox360 or PC, pretty well designed in my estimation. Of course if it takes hold Linux/Mac fall further by the wayside.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads
    XNA is Microsofts AOL solution to game programming. Programming couldn't be more user friendly for gamers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Broswer based does not require the web. One can use a web broswer for local files as well.

And as for "falling by the wayside", Linuix has been steadly gaining share. I haven't used Windows for four years. I don't miss it either.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember seeing browser share stats recently but not OS usage. Anybody have any idea what those stats look like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast