Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: What Does Dark Future Mean To You?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question What Does Dark Future Mean To You?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have a general ideal of what Dark Future is. However, much like cyberpunk there is much room indeed as to what Dark Future encompasses and what is at the very heart of its definition. So what does Dark Future mean to you?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We had this discussion a little while back: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...ead.php?t=4410
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the definitive trait of a dark future is society in collapse. Which society and how it collapsed in the first place are the questions you must answer to get to specific sub-genres of the broad dark future category.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, a technologically advanced civilization that is now in a state of rapid decay. There is still technological equipment out there, but it's degrading quickly. There are small pockets of the old civilization, but they can't maintain their equilibrium of technology due to the crushing weight of plain survival and sustenance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are "Dark Future" and "Cyberpunk" generally the same thing? If not and Cyberpunk is merely one example of a Dark Future setting, what is one or more examples of a Dark Future setting(s)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, Dark Future can also apply to a fantasy setting as well. One of the core concepts behind a DF campaign is the grim-and-gritty feel of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much anything grim and gritty feels Dark Future. Just look at Warhammer FRP and our own Middle Ages. However, if it is in the past, it can't be considered a dark future could it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, certainly during and immediately after the Black Death I can imagine that those people alive thought of the future as dark.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A different dark future setting would be the Mad Max type. I don't know of English RPG in this genre, but in France we had Bitume created by Croc which was full of humor and toyed with stereotypes.

I remember a campaign run by a friend where we belonged to a tribe of Vikings who lost their drakkar (i.e. our big truck) in the very beginning of the campaign. The Vikkings define themselves as nomad and need a decent drakkar or they wouldn't go to Valhalla or sth like that. The next step of the adventure was when we discovered an old steam locomotive in the ruins of Saint Lazare railway station ! Happy happy joy joy ! We had our new drakkar and it didn't need oil ! Even Mad Max didn't think of that
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd include:

Cyberpunk

Conspiracy X, X Files, Painkiller Jane

Apocalyptic: Armageddon, Seventh Seal

Post-apocalyptic settings without kewl powerz mutants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't sure if post apocalyptic was considered dark future or a completely separate genre all together. Then again I guess Dark Future is a category and not really a genre.