Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniatures Painting Guides & Tips

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Miniatures Painting Guides & Tips

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anybody have any internet links, tips, otherwise miniature painting advice/feedback to offer? I myself am a miniature painting virgin . At least with something other than a... please god of miniature painting don't let me be stoned for this... other than a market *hangs head in shame*

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a whole bunch of links somewhere that have tutorials with terrain making/miniature painting tips that I'll post as I get time. Here are a couple...

Terrain Monster

Terra Genesis

Tabletop Terrain

Cool Mini or Not

The last one has pictures of minis and no tutorials that I know of, but the minis are inspirational!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Outstanding! I wish I could include some of the Games Workshop guides I received in lots purchased off of eBay. They are some of the most detailed guides I've come across

Downloads
    Uploads
    Games Workshop has great tutorials. Plus, their stores are filled with people who won't leave you alone, so if you give them a painting challenge, you can use their superpowers of +20 Customer Service for good.

They have good online stuff, with plenty of bright, high res pics. Once you have a few of the basics down, you'll see results right away.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    Games Workshop has great tutorials. Plus, their stores are filled with people who won't leave you alone, so if you give them a painting challenge, you can use their superpowers of +20 Customer Service for good.
    Sigh.... I use to enjoy hanging out at the GW store, even if I don't play the games. Use to. It's gone now.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I think of GW I always think of terrain. While they're far better known for miniatures, for good and bad reasons , I think they've had the terrain market cornered since they started producing guides. The best terrain I've ever seen has been in Warhammer games. Are there any other amazing miniature and terrain companies out there like GW?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    When I think of GW I always think of terrain. While they're far better known for miniatures, for good and bad reasons , I think they've had the terrain market cornered since they started producing guides. The best terrain I've ever seen has been in Warhammer games. Are there any other amazing miniature and terrain companies out there like GW?
    Well, while they take quite a bit more work on the individual's part, the following two companies produce products to make terrain.

Hirst Arts

World Works Games

I know I've posted about them before, but they do make products to make terrain with, so it kind of answers your question. Oh yeah, there's also, Woodland Scenics. While they're mostly a model railroad company, they do make things for building natural terrain.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Model Railroad companies produce some of the highest quality and most readily available terrain I've seen. There is quite a bit at the local Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I've been tempted to buy some several times but just don't have the money to buy enough. Unfortunately it proves to be quite expensive. Damn those rich men who love their trains

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't painted minis in a while, but I was asked for some tips, and threw together this page:

http://www.worldsedge.org/painting.html

I'd be curious to know what things I've gotten right, and what things could be done better-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My best tip is to buy as many minis as you can all the time. There is an old saying that goes, "One will live as long as they have minis."

Until I got married 20 years ago I would buy any mini I thought looked cool. When I got married I had several hundreds of them, most were cleaned and primed but I still had several hundred unpainted and maybe two hundred painted. Now days I only buy them when I need them for games I am running or plots that I see developing. I now have a lot more painted and even more that need paint, but I am quite sure I will still be buying more. Just last week I bought a box or GW Ronan fighter types and several female figures for a new female NPC I need to have on hand for when the party meets her. She could be pretty important in the coming weeks.

I also still have my Flames of War figures I need painted. Just last night one of the group came over to paint even though we were not going to play. (I thought we were going to give 4.0 a try but there was only the two of us and my son who was going to run it for us.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.kraken-editions.com/en/ar...dvd/index.html
    http://www.miniaturementor.com/

I've recently seen the tutorials from both of these sites, and all are worth the price. Prompted me to give my cheap craft paint to my terrain-maker buddy and invest in Reaper and GW paints.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mini-painter We are 3800+ members of all skill levels, and are the oldest active painting group on the internet. We have a bunch of tutorials in our files section, and are always willing to help new painters.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Been a member for years now and get a steady flow of ideas. Great place on the net.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Been a member for years now and get a steady flow of ideas. Great place on the net.
    Thanks. We do try! says the group owner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are helpful ideas!
    Chi-Halfling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast