Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Miniatures Box?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniatures Box?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Miniatures Box?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My old tackle box has finally given up the ghost. Any suggestions on a replacement?

I really don't even know what to look for. I've done some poking around and really didn't find much that interests me.

I have around 200 I guess and the weight was part of the problem with the box breaking. So I'm looking at two boxes to replace this one.

Thanks.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did some searching on google and the biggest case I could find supposedly held up to 80 mini's but they were decently small mini's. As far as official miniature containment goes the options are few, underpowered, and overly expensive. Are you looking for a stronger tackle box or types of containment or did you have your heart set on something more aesthetically pleasing? Since they've been in a tackle box all these years I figure aesthetics aren't that big of a deal but this being your first upgrade in a long time, I'd rather be safe than sorry before doing further rummaging

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have about 35 very old lead miniatures that are housed in a briefcase with foam inserts. All my other miniatures are the new plastic painted type that are just piled together in a cardboard box (rare,uncommon, and common alike). The old stuff doesn't see much use now that I have many of the new minis.
    If you are talking about 200+ old school lead minis, I would start looking into hard side luggage with wheels and use inserts to keep them nice.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Carpet padding and hot glue.

If you are willing to put in the time you can save a butt-load of cash by buying several yards of high quality carpet padding and making miniture inserts for sterlite containers. I store all my Ogre minis that way. I use craft foam for the bottom lift tray and the carpet foam to protect the minis. two inch ribbon is used as lifting handles.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Carpet padding and hot glue.
    I hot glue as much as I can around the house. I also have some extra carpet padding lying in the garage. Trying to imagine your case... . That has got to be the ugliest mini case of all time. Then again aesthetics are rare where security is involved. Any chance you could grace us with a picture?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heh, ok thanks. I don't have a problem making my own stuff so I'll check that option out too.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all for tackle boxes. With the configurable size compartment pieces you can organize your plastic minis pretty easy, and they are relatively cheap (20$ for a nice container that has 3 or 4 tackle boxes that come with it)

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I hot glue as much as I can around the house. I also have some extra carpet padding lying in the garage. Trying to imagine your case... . That has got to be the ugliest mini case of all time. Then again aesthetics are rare where security is involved. Any chance you could grace us with a picture?
    It's not winning any beauty contests. I'll drag it out of the basement in a bit.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I have a tackle box from Walmart. It is all plastic but it holds my 100 or so mini's quite well. The thing must be about 15 years old and still does its job.
    And Teseral. YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A MESS OF OGRE MINIS??? Hot dog, if you ever decide to get rid of them PLEASE let me know. KAY???

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Ogre box, with tray details.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Ogre box, with tray details.
    That looks nice enough. What did you do with the donut holes?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TAROT View Post
    That looks nice enough. What did you do with the donut holes?
    Trashed, those not stolen by the cat. I was finding them for weeks.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    How did you cut the holes? That is actually much more aesthetically pleasing than I thought it would be. The carpet padding I've got is multicolored. Probably recycled or something but its pretty awful. Looks awesome indeed

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a great way to store minis tesral, I didn't think about using those big storage bins. I store my minis in a big softside tackle box, the kind that you put the smaller plastic tackle boxes in. While it's great for seperating the minis, the bigger ones don't fit in it very well if they fit at all!

I don't remember the brand right now so it'll have to wait till I get home to look it up!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    How did you cut the holes? That is actually much more aesthetically pleasing than I thought it would be. The carpet padding I've got is multicolored. Probably recycled or something but its pretty awful. Looks awesome indeed
    Exacto knife, a very sharp one. Use a new blade.

The carpet padding was the highest quality pad the local carpet place had. The real preimum stuff. I bought it with the purpose of making miniture boxes.

It has been my experience that you can save a good deal of money by thinking outside the box and being willing to do a bit of work yourself. That box will hold about as many minis as a 70 dollar Warhammer box, and the total for the 6 square yards of foam (which got used for many such boxes) and the Rubbermaid locking box was about 30 bucks. Total for the single project including the craft foam and ribbon? Less than 20 dollars, and an evening of my time.

For larger minis you stack the foam. The ogres are at the bottom of the box in three to four layers of foam depending on size.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast