Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Terrain Supply Links: Could You Share Some?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Terrain Supply Links: Could You Share Some?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If you get your terrain creation supplies online or have a favorite brand you obtain from chain stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, please list it here. The info collected here will be put into a guide that will be stickied in the future for terrain newbies visiting the forum. All help, feedback, links, going into detail, etc... is highly appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads
    Games Workshop has massive amounts of supplies (pricey, most are quality) and articles (most using their products, but similar to many other companies):

http://us.games-workshop.com/

Though I don't play many of their games anymore, I gotta give them props for the terrain!! Poke around the site, there's DAYS of material.

Basic supplies (in big 'box' stores):

http://www.homedepot.com/

http://www.lowes.com/

Hardware stores have things like pink foamcore and Liquidnails, not to mention large amounts of mark down paint. Most can also 'color match' any sample of paint you want replicated.

I'm sure there's more, but here is a start.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Delicious ffclubhero .

Please post more links people. I'll take whatever and all that I can get. This is a subject that many would like to be involved in but just have no idea where to start. A quality guide full of links could change the gaming world forever for many of the users who visit Pen and Paper Games.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would add that GW has massive amounts of 'converting' articles on how to "Pimp" your minis. Coversions are simple (add a different weapon) to complex (make something from two spare arms and two part epoxy). Make sure to read the basic type articles ("How to Pin," "Hot Glue", etc.).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you know if they have any free web content on such topics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few of the places I go to get supplies, granted, they're online so you have to either find a store in your area to buy them from or do online orders, but I've always had good luck when ordering online from them.

Micromark - They're good for buying various tools and supplies like casting resins or mold making supplies.

Scenic Express - Great for landscape type terrains. They also make a great tree product, if you don't mind having to build the trees, it's called [url=http://www.scenicexpress.com/supertrees.html[/url]SuperTrees.

Finally, Woodland Scenics - Another great landscape terrain company, although any model train store should carry this companies products.

When I run across other companies that I use during my purchasing, I'll try and remember to list them here. I usually save the links on my browser, but I don't always file them where I can find them right away. LOL so I have to hunt for them where I think I've put them!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    GW online content is 100% FREE (with the exception of the core rules for their major games- they want you to buy those).

Just pick a theme (Lizardmen, Chaos, in whatever game) and that link will also bring up TONS of terrain articles and step by step walkthroughs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan on using Games Workshop free content up the wazoo when I put together my massive thread o' links . Many thanks for letting me know there was so much free content available from GW.

Downloads
    Uploads

Castlemolds

Not sure if this counts as "Terrain" for the purpose of this discussion, but I love these things:

Hirst Arts Castle Molds

They're rubber molds that you can use to cast gaming structures using cheap plaster of paris or slightly more expensive hydrocal (Trust me, you'll want to go with Hydrocal for reusable terrain- look for it at art stores). I make specific structures for specific games, and 1"x1"x4" or 1"x1"x6" blocks to rough out interior spaces quickly. I've found I can rough out a dungeon room much faster using blocks than I can using markers, and you get less marker on your hands that way.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a bridge made from the stuff. Acrylic paint will go a long way towards toughing any plaster bits. I do need to finish painting that thing.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Not sure if this counts as "Terrain" for the purpose of this discussion, but I love these things:

Hirst Arts Castle Molds

They're rubber molds that you can use to cast gaming structures using cheap plaster of paris or slightly more expensive hydrocal (Trust me, you'll want to go with Hydrocal for reusable terrain- look for it at art stores). I make specific structures for specific games, and 1"x1"x4" or 1"x1"x6" blocks to rough out interior spaces quickly. I've found I can rough out a dungeon room much faster using blocks than I can using markers, and you get less marker on your hands that way.
    I have quite a few of Bruce's molds and use a plaster called Merlin's Magic, which sets up much faster and is a whole lot stronger than regular plaster. Granted, no one sells it near me and it costs more than regular plaster but the speed of casting and strength you get from it more than justifies the cost.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    These guys do terrain, vehicles, and minis (and you can pay using Paypay):

http://www.armorcast.com/

From England, but have lots of "bitz" (spare parts for those not fluent in Gamesworkshopese). Nothing makes terrain more authentico then skulls and bells and... you get the idea.

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/

Downloads
    Uploads

Already posted what I had, if a mod could delete this, it would save me from further humiliation.
    Last edited by ffclubhero; 09-05-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: already posted listed company

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    This guy looks like he has some good terrain for cheap on E-bay.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/scuzim...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ