Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What I Would Wish For: Fourth Edition Wishes Revealed
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Would Wish For: Fourth Edition Wishes Revealed

Downloads
    Uploads

What I Would Wish For: Fourth Edition Wishes Revealed

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If you could wish for a one to a few things that you would definitely like to see in fourth edition, regardless of whether it has been confirmed they are included or not, what would they be? These could be changes to the game system, a heavier emphasis on role playing, or even replacing the recommended mini's with tokens. I for one would love to see more budget friendly tokens put out and promoted by WOTC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to see fewer elves. There are currently announced that there are 2.5 elves in the PHB alone. That is too many elves.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Arioch View Post
    I would like to see fewer elves. There are currently announced that there are 2.5 elves in the PHB alone. That is too many elves.
    2.5? Elves, Half-Elves, and what else? Thats 1.5. So what is left? Dark Elves?

If I could wish for one thing it would be an online learning center. There are actually a few people around here that I could probably get to pick up D&D if I could offer them more than just picking up the PHB, sitting down and watching a game played, or learn as they play. For those, like myself, who are rule lawyers by trade, the PHB can be quite daunting for those considering picking up the hobby (really a life style ).

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you kidding me? That demo is horrible. I actually came across it before I even looked at the PHB. I knew the book itself was extensive and had a good idea of what a game like this would require as far as learning is concerned. But to the unknowing pnp newbie, this demo is downright deception as far as the learning curve is considered. Not to mention the voice acting is so horrible that I couldn't imagine anybody getting excited over that demo lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think after watching part of that my eyes are bleeding...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know hardly anything about 4.0, as I haven't been following the breadcrumbs at all.

If I had a choice...

Simplify Turning Undead (and make it not suck)

Better integrate psionics, rather than having it an add-on patch.

Revamp multiclassing to make it less likely to hobble a character. (I'm thinking of multiclassing spellcasters, which is a Bad Idea in 3.5)

revisit Damage Reduction. Its a little hard to explain to newbies, and is hard to balance encounters - if the party has magic weapons, thing with DR magic are weenie for thier CR.

get rid of the % rolls for arcane spell failure, stabilization, and concealment.

Find some way to balance the high end play; I don't like the "gotta roll a 20 / only fail on a 1" syndrome we get when the saves and base attacks of the different classes diverge at the top end.
    Contact me via PM -- email from this site isn't working for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As to what is the 3rd elven race it's the "Eladrin":

Eladrin (Have a short teleport ability called “fey step”)
    Eladrin are described as magical high elves. Eladrins (and elves) were elves, but the Eladrin preferred magic and stone instead of nature and the woods. Gray elves, sun elves and moon elves will be considered Eladrin.
    • One of their racial feats allows them to briefly enter Feywild and reemerge at another place, making a short teleport. This ability is called “Fey Step”.
    • Favoured class: Wizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, another thing I'd like to see in 4E is more powerful organic characters. Because in 3E, a character that starts at level 1 and works his way to 20 is usually much weaker than someone who just starts at level 20 and builds from there. I don't like that, organic characters should be able to hold their own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAwkward View Post
    I know hardly anything about 4.0, as I haven't been following the breadcrumbs at all.

If I had a choice...

Simplify Turning Undead (and make it not suck)

Better integrate psionics, rather than having it an add-on patch.

Revamp multiclassing to make it less likely to hobble a character. (I'm thinking of multiclassing spellcasters, which is a Bad Idea in 3.5)

revisit Damage Reduction. Its a little hard to explain to newbies, and is hard to balance encounters - if the party has magic weapons, thing with DR magic are weenie for thier CR.

get rid of the % rolls for arcane spell failure, stabilization, and concealment.

Find some way to balance the high end play; I don't like the "gotta roll a 20 / only fail on a 1" syndrome we get when the saves and base attacks of the different classes diverge at the top end.

I have to agree with you on Turning Undead ability. I have yet to see a Cleric turn an undead BBEG. At low levels (1-3) turning any undead is tough, and at mid-levels (4-7) turning undead fodder is still 50/50. Maybe the Turning Undead ability should be based off WIS rather than CHA. Hmm...maybe I'll experiment with that idea in my next campaign.

I also agree with psionics. I really do like it and the psionic races. However, many D&D gamers have some kind of irrational hatred of psionics in general. I guess it's one of those love it or hate it issues.

I actually have no issue with the multiclassing rules as written. Some of the GMs in my circle have abolished any penalties for multiclassing; which, consequently, removes the Favored Class rules from play as well. If I were to concede on this at all, I would reduce the EXP penalty to a flat -10%.

The Damage Reduction rules in 3.5 make a lot of sense. However, if you wanted to simplify it for ease of play, then I would just return to 3.0 Damage Reduction rules where DR is rated by the plus of magic items; i.e. DR/+2 so if you have +2 item you can defeat the DR.

Well, you could just covert the % chance into a multiple of 5 and roll a d20. One of the GMs in my group has a highly House Ruled version of 3.X and has a rule for spellcasters regarding arcane failure: if the spellcaster has the armor proficiency for the armor he is wearing, then he eliminates the spell failure chance. The rational is that if you spent a precious feat on this, then you have practiced extensively while wearing this type of armor. This House Rule has merit; but I still use arcane failure in my games.

yes, the progression for Saves needs to be adjusted somehow. A high level Fighter has an enormous Fortitude save at high levels and is likely to make those saves with no problem. However, that same high level Fighter is going to fail every Will save thrown at him by the BBEG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    About the saving throws:

It seems that all classes get a flat bonus equal to half their level to all saving throws, skill checks, and attack rolls, modified by ability scores.

Although saving throw isn't the right word, it works more like AC than a saving throw, in the fact that the attacker has to beat your save number for the spell to affect you.

I don't know how that will work in practice, but it seems there will be less disparity between various classes than before.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditch Alignment, it's long past time to go.

Integrate psionics or drop it. The add on is also old.

Simply grapple. It's too powerful or utterly useless, and it is complicated.

Turning undead. I have my method, it differs it works, it's simple. The 3.5 method is not, that is why I have my method.

Balance feats or drop them. Feats are the most unbalanced part of the game.

Skills: equal skill points for all classes. Put the rogue abilities back as class features. Make them special again. Don't do what SAGA does. That sucks like a Hoover.

Minis? You can use tokens now. That is not an issue. Ditch the bloody square grid and use organic movement. People can measure distance.

Keep the current core races. It's a good selection, it's traditional. We all change it anyway.

Keep the current core classes, again a good broad selection.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    If I could wish for one thing it would be an online learning center. There are actually a few people around here that I could probably get to pick up D&D if I could offer them more than just picking up the PHB, sitting down and watching a game played, or learn as they play.
    Have you considered trying out Neverwinter Nights II? It uses the 3.5 edition rules, with a few modifications and simplifications for skills. The first included campaign is also very, very good. It would give you a dose of the system before you played the table-top version.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditching alignment althogether would significantly alter the nature of the D&D game due to its integration with magic, items, planes, gods, and races.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only hope is that it will be fun to play, and still keep the flexibility of the 3.5 system.

The biggest changes touted by WoTC are the simplifications. If it ends up dumbing the game down, I'd have a hard time stomaching it.

If however, the simplifications are elegant, fun, and still allow customization and flexibility, they'll have me hooked.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast