Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Building Terrain On A Budget - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Terrain On A Budget

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    I've just "discovered" what any of us who drink good beer should know already-- the better the beer, the better the case the brewery packs it in. Thicker cardboard and cheap spray paint means instant ancient city of obsidian, glistening darkly in the quadruple suns of a far away world....

In my experience, most cardboard used in packaging canned products will pick up the indentations of the cans packaged, mostly in the top and bottom sections. I tend to leave them alone and typically got for the appliance stores where they have large sheets of straight high quality cardboard. Another place I like to snag cardboard from is the boxes reams of paper come from. Back a few years ago I worked in a place that discarded about five boxes at a time and the uniform sizes in large quantities was very nice in making buildings of the same size.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Raw cardboard and vast amounts of CA. The kind of cardboard that they put behind shirts. You soak that in CA and you get a fibrous plastic that is very strong.

This sounds interesting. My question is, what is CA? And, can you show any examples of this in some terrain you have made?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    This sounds interesting. My question is, what is CA? And, can you show any examples of this in some terrain you have made?
    Cynoacrylic glue. Otherwise called super glue.

While familiar with the method I have nothing currently made with it. However this gentleman of my acquaintance does, and uses it almost exclusively.

William Wardrop

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That guy is an artist. Still, I wonder how to work the stuff. If you are using super glue how do you keep from sticking to it while you manipulate it?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That guy is an artist. Still, I wonder how to work the stuff. If you are using super glue how do you keep from sticking to it while you manipulate it?

First glue your seams. Then soak the part in the glue. Bill goes through buckets of the stuff. I've done the same thing with wood. Makes a tough model. Gaming models must be tough.

This was made with the wood and CA method. the fore and aft castles come off. Masts slip out for storage.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does your friend make this stuff or does he buy it in bulk like resin, in one gallon cans. Buying it in little 4 gram bottles would I think get very expensive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does your friend make this stuff or does he buy it in bulk like resin, in one gallon cans. Buying it in little 4 gram bottles would I think get very expensive.
    I really have no idea. I would assue he gets larger bottles. I have seen them. Most hobby stores don't carry them.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For some reason I don't think art supply stores would carry them either. Might be an industrial supply store or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    White foam is free. People complain that the beads look stupid, but if you know how to work with it, you can do some amazing things. Plus, if no terrain is built with it, it winds up in some landfill somewhere, so by using white foam to build my terrain, I am doing my little part at saving the planet.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you use a hot wire cutter you can shape the pieces, to a point, and while the shapes can be futuristic (great for 40k and Battletech stuff) you are still limited to the original shapes minus the cut off portions. I have been storing some Styrofoam pieces for some pieces that I want to be walls. I think primed and painted the little balls will look like stacked stone walls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    Once you start to build terrain, everything you lay your hands on becomes a possibility to put on the tabletop. You will throw NOTHING out.
    You are not kidding! I have 10 5-gallon plastic kitty litter buckets by my workbench that are filled with all sorts of odds and ends. Any scraps from house projects (plumbing bits, countertop samples), plastic CD stack packages, plastic lunchmeat tubs (washed, of course!), refrigerator water filter cartridges, etc. have all found their way into a project at one time or another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12