Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comedy in horror

Downloads
    Uploads

Comedy in horror

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    How much comedy do you like in your horror games? When does it ruin the mood? Do you enjoy decidedly tongue-in-cheek twist like Horror Rules by Crucifiction Games?
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it depends on the setting. Comedy can be an asset in a setting like Scream where the setting brings to light some of the more idiotic tendencies the horror genre is well known for. In a very serious setting like Darkness I don't comedy would be very appropriate. I don't think that comedy necessarily lessens the tension in high suspense situations. If anything it can serve as a nice distraction right before you get the bajeezus scared out of you. As far as Hollywood is concerned though, comedy in horror settings usually is nothing but bad puns and cheap storylines. In a good novel, like one from Clive Barker - Steven King - Dean Koontz, I think comedy can be used quite successfully without distracting from the atmosphere at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a real fine line to mix comedy and horror/suspense: add just a pinch too much and it becomes Cheese Whiz.

Pvt. Hudson from Aliens is probably the best example that immediately comes to mind as a good example.

An American Werewolf in Paris was another good mix of horror and comedy.

Shaun of the Dead was another one.

Oh, how could I forget the movie that made me laugh the hardest I have ever in my life:

Evil Dead II
    Last edited by Drohem; 01-31-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The relationship between Vasquez and Drake in Aliens is another great example of comedy done right in suspenseful situations. I find any zombie setting to be perfect for comedy. Zombies are always a constant for fear and suspense so the comedy doesn't really take away from it. Another great example of comedy and horror done right is Eight Legged Freaks

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a fan of having horror and comedy in the same story, but keeping the two separate. Horror is still horrifying, but characters have moments of comedy (sometimes dark comedy) amidst the horror.

Aliens is one example, and if you ignore the TV-budget effects the Buffy TV series is another. The new Doctor Who series has some creepy/horrifying elements, and even entire episodes: "Blink", "The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances", "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit", and "Human Nature/The Family of Blood", among others, spring to mind.

The key, I think, is to keep the threat credible, even though characters are wisecracking ... and perhaps the situation is absurd. Angelus can say (darkly) humorous things but he's still a monster; statues, clockwork androids, and a cursed child crying for its "mummy" are absurd, but they can still kill you.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    I'm a fan of having horror and comedy in the same story, but keeping the two separate. Horror is still horrifying, but characters have moments of comedy (sometimes dark comedy) amidst the horror.
    Yes, that's exactly how I see it as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Doctor Who reference is spot on. The Aliens movie also rather well done.

I am less of a fan of things like Tremors, Critters, and Eight legged Freaks.

I think going the complete spoof route might be fun with the right group though.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember thinking very fondly of Gremlins I was growing up. I rented it and watched it recently and it was horrible. Just horrible

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pvt. Hudson- "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken as a man?"

Pvt. Vasquez- "No. Have you?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pvt. Hudson- "Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

Pvt. Hudson- "Right, right. Somebody said "alien" she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!"

Pvt. Hudson- "Game over man... Game over!"

Pvt. Hudson- "Yeah right, man, Bishop should go. Good idea!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

hehehe....Pvt. Hudson has to be one of my most favorite Red Shirts in movie history, LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't agree more. I've never been the type to rewatch a movie time after time, but I've seen Aliens over 50 times. I've seen every released version of it including special editions and Laserdisc. I can pull more one liners from than then the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anybody else have any recommendations for horror movies that contain comedy "done right"? Any other thoughts, pro - con - neutral, on whether comedy in horror is a good thing or not? Surely this thread cannot have ended before stretching to at least a second page . Please share more of your thoughts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On top of my head : Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Braindead, Bad Taste. I personally don't care for zombie movies, but zombie comedies yeah ! any day
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shaun of the Dead was fantastic. So was the last 30 minutes of Hot Fuzz.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still need to see Hot Fuzz. It's on my Netflix list

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is worth picking up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast