Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Most Favorite Wargaming System
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Favorite Wargaming System

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Most Favorite Wargaming System

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What is your all time favorite wargaming system? Were the mechanics so well defined that you truly felt anything was possible or perhaps it allowed for truly enjoyable ways to dispatch your enemies. If just hearing the name brings happy thoughts, I'd like to hear about it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Overall, the D6 system that Games Workshop uses is quick to learn. Since they use it (or a version of it) in all their games, it makes life simple. I do like that system, and I've played games with number of non-gamers who enjoyed the simplicity, and thus, the game (mostly LOTRSBG).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The greatest game you never heard of. Thunderbolt. An air combat mini simulator that is sweet but unpublished.

When I first played I didn't know a thing about the game, but being a plane bunny I was familar with dog fighting tatics. It worked. I was able to fly my plane succesfully but just doing what I knew dogfighters did. No understanding of the game mechanics required.

Some bombers I painted up for a game.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow those are some nice paint jobs. Are those symbols on the plane wings decals or did you paint those on? Sounds very interesting. Ever since the History channel started their Dog Fights series I have been a serious aviation fan. Growing up I was interested in the cooler looking planes like Stealth Bombers and sleek looking jets. After this series my small time interest turned into a serious relationship. I've always wanted to play Crimson Skies but when the video game came out I was turned off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not very experienced in this field. But my best experiences were with strategic rather than tactical games. I like when one has to deal with economic/diplomatic issues at the same time as waging war.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ala Risk or Stratego eh? I hope to turn BattleTech into just such a game with the usage of GURPS for character and campaign design. The novels are very political with minimal fighting. The fighting is amazing but the universe is centered far more around politics than it is all out war. I am a die hard fan of the novels and hope to capture this theme in my upcoming BattleTech/GURPS Campaign

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I can't find the name of this Pacific side of World War II wargame that I used to play when I was a teenager. One of the nice features was the hidden task forces that your opponent couldn't figure if they were a real armada or just some intelligence disinformation until they would encounter the enemy on the map.
    I loved the civilization boardgame too, but it's not a wargame stricto senso. Risk always felt shallow to me for some reason

{Edit : oh and I always wanted to give a try to World in Flames which was supposed to be the top notch accurate strategic wargame}
    Last edited by boulet; 01-30-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BattleTech is obviously my all time favorite. It covers technology that is quite probable and not so much sci-fi by design. It has rules for just about any situation you can imagine which makes it ideal for just about any combat scenario.

The only thing I wish BattleTech had better support for was alien races. The BattleTech universe is built on the basis that man went forward to colonize the stars but no other alien/sentient life forms are present. In the 63 novels alien life is only referenced once or twice, and even then only very briefly. BattleTech does include record sheets for alien life but it is hardly extensive and it contains nothing for alien technology. With this one exception I think BattleTech is the most perfect wargaming system of all time.

I've shopped around quite a bit and have never found anything that feels this good or is this fun to play. The Even as a wargame it provides deep RP value for non mechwarrior characters. MechWarrior supplement really allows you to live the life of anybody in the universe accept mechwarriors. Thanks to GURPS I will soon remedy this.

I've always dreamed of having a long term mechwarrior campaign that actually revolves around mechwarriors. Salvaging, repairs, equipment, personal lives, etc... Sooooo excited

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Wow those are some nice paint jobs. Are those symbols on the plane wings decals or did you paint those on?
    Decals. I'm insane, I'm not that insane.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    One never knows. I expected you to respond to my question with something along the lines of "What?! I'M NO DECAL LOVER!!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One never knows. I expected you to respond to my question with something along the lines of "What?! I'M NO DECAL LOVER!!"
    I wouldn't say I love decals, but I like them. Properly applied they are great time, and sanity, savers. The problem is at that scale you are applying them with a pair of tweezer and a microbrush. I do two and walk away for a while. Thank God for adjustable vises.

What is hard to make out in the photo are the oil streaks on the wings.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing I wish BattleTech had better support for was alien races.
    They did have the clans, which did some modification of society and such, but thats about it.

Yeah, Battletech was pretty classy. As far as a vehicle battle system, I haven't seen one that is more fun.

I very much liked Aerotech, or whatever it was called (the space combat system). I really liked how they designed the warship damage system, how you had to punch through the outer layers before you could start damaging the core.

And yes, I knew what you were talking about when you mentioned the arena battles on Solaris in another thread .

Another fun one for space battles was the Star Wars d6 ruleset. They had a pretty cool system of how various classes of ships (capital, starfighter) would damage each other. And the skill rolls for the pilots, the force used to combine fire, the damage system all made for a pretty fun conflict. I remember using the entire living room for one battle between a Star Destroyer and a Calamari Cruiser with Nebulon B support. Fun times.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember having sixteen maps out to play BattleTech with a friend one time. We each had eight mechs to start with and it took four weeks to complete the game from start to finish, probably eight hours of play time every saturday and sunday of that month.

AeroTech is for mechs with flight that often fly through space. BattleSpace is the space ships that fly through space. I can't wait to play my BattleTech/GURPS campaign. I think about it all damn day long .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that sounds like fun. Victory must have been sweet after that ordeal.

I've actually built more wargaming systems from scratch then what I've actually played. I've played through plenty of board games with varying levels of complexity, but I just haven't found the group that digs into true wargames other than Warhammer, which was just too dang expensive to get into.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've made your own? Like from scratch scratch; the drawing board kinda scratch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast