Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: For the DMs and GMs out there- Story Hooks

Downloads
    Uploads

For the DMs and GMs out there- Story Hooks

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Story hooks that you've wanted to use but have not- another thread started from WOTC, but I'm interested in the gamers here.

What are some hooks you've used, or, have wanted to but never got to them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    A "reverse" LotR storyline, where the PCs are searching to reclaim a super powerful artifact of good from an evil alliance trying to destroy it.

I thought it would be cool, a Saurmon type wizard who turns from evil archmage into a agent of good, but then have a cabal of corrupted treants (or some kind of fey) march against him.

Replace the elves with drow, hobbits with goblins, Nazgul with devas, Sauron with a rightgeous demigod... etc, etc, bla bla bla...

I wouldn't do it soooo cliche & predictable, but you get the idea here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always loved the theory that time is universal and is constant, spidered, and infinitely diverse. Think of all the major history settings the world of earth has been through. The bronze age, the dark ages, the Jurassic age, and so forth. I'd like to take several different ages (a handful of hand picked settings, not all of them) and describe a setting of the earth where the walls that divide the different time periods are weakening. Things from different ages are starting to appear in the different time settings. Dinosaurs in the dark ages for example would be a treat. All of the different time periods are starting to join as a single fluid setting. At first it starts really slow and with each day the walls grow weaker, bring more and more of the different time periods into the same solid existence.

The PC's would be people from different time periods. They all end up grouped together and are just trying to survive day to day as their world is changing. Even the architecture that uses the same space in the different times is forced to share the same area. This results in crumbling buildings, doom style "teleporter death", amazing weather conditions merging to form new super weather phenomena, etc... I could do so much with that .

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PC's roll up characters and set them up for about 4th level - and turn them in to me. I then turn the paper characters into undead critters of approximately equal power. Cue next week's game:

"You wake up with a jolt: A person that you easily identify as a necromancer completes an incantation over your characters. He then tells you that you are all under the total control of (insert BBEG here), and must do his bidding, as he must as well. (have Knowledge: Arcane or Planes roll check as they look at surroundings to possibly notice that some symbols are incorrect on pentagram, and odd material components were used as well)."

Players are now able to do as they wish... the "geas" power didn't work, and they are all free-willed (and NOT evil!!). They are supposed to be lordlings in an undead army set to destroy humanity, but are free to try to re-achieve humanity and true "living" status.

I stole the idea after drinking heavily and watching the old series, "Dark Knight" were a good vampire was trying to live again... and reading an old adventure book called, "Undead" or something like that (all I remember is that the PC had a weasel skull in his pocket that spoke to him...).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Entire Post
    Sounds like a cross between the storyline from WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos and Vampire The Masquarde (PC game). Both were awesome

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What haven't I used? Big wars, little quests. I've mined literature without mercy. News stories, fairy tales the works.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group