Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How often do you game?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyday! And twice on Sundays!

1 1.23%
  • Two or more times a week.

16 19.75%
  • Once per week.

22 27.16%
  • Twice a month.

21 25.93%
  • Once per month.

1 1.23%
  • Less than once per month.

12 14.81%
  • Never.

8 9.88%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you game?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question How often do you game?

Back in the days of high school, I'd game all weekend long and still be hungry for more. I'd have roleplayed every night had my parents let me get away with it. Even when I wasn't playing though, I was almost always working on writing up the next adventure in my spare time.

Now, at 30, life gets in the way. Not that I mind terribly, but sometimes I long for those days again. Between working full time, going back to college to do some degree work, wife, son, working on this website, and watching my favorite flicks on the TV, it seems I never have time enough for gaming stuff anymore. I'm lucky to get two games in a month.

So, I'm curious. How often do you game these days?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Twice a month for me as well. Though, i'm only counting Pen & Paper roleplaying.

Online games on the computer get played maybe twice a week for any length of time. Maybe an hour a day the rest of the time.
    Post Count++

Downloads
    Uploads
    We used to, as in about 1 year ago, play every Saturday night, but recently, we've been restricted to 2 times a month. We're working to get back into the every Saturday night thing, but yeah that's what we do for PnP games.

Now online games, about 1 or 2 times a week.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I game once a week on Thursdays and at some of the Meet Ups, which is about 5-6 times a month total.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now I'm playing in one campaign every other week. I'd like to run another, but job pressures make that difficult.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in school it was all weekend long game fests of never ending hacking and slashing. I quit playing my sophmore high school for all the usual reasons one manifests. I started playing again over the summer after graduation and continued to have Friday or Saturday sessions during everyone's first year of college/ last year of high school.

These days I manage about twice a month on Fridays and we usually wargame as there's simply less preparation involved and I find figure painting to be more relaxing for me these days.

Simply put my responsibilities to my wife and kids takes precedence over my hobby time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My response was Once per month.

Currently I'm in a D&D game that ostensibly meets twice a month. Since joining in June I've played 3 games, personally declining only 1 game because I was out of town. We're supposed to play this Friday evening, but it's yet to be scheduled. I fear it won't happen. v_v

Back in high school, D&D didn't exist. Yup, I'm an old geek. Picked up the game a year and a half ago. Got a kid, job, all of the baggage of being An Adult, but then I don't much fit anywhere. The stodgy ol' business card says, "Mathemagician". Yes I sling equations professionally for a living.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
    Currently I'm in a D&D game that ostensibly meets twice a month. Since joining in June I've played 3 games, personally declining only 1 game because I was out of town. We're supposed to play this Friday evening, but it's yet to be scheduled. I fear it won't happen. v_v.
    I feel your pain. Personally, I'd love to play as much as once per week, but aside being busy with work and family, my group's varying schedules just can't bear out more than twice per month. For a while, we were in the same boat where we were just barely eeking out a game a month, but we all committed to doing our level best to meeting at least twice a month. As a DM, I just couldn't keep the momentum or even my own interest in the story-line with such sparse sessions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    As a DM, I just couldn't keep the momentum or even my own interest in the story-line with such sparse sessions.
    I know that feeling. A couple of my players wish I'd run my campaign more than once a month, but if I run it much more frequently than that with my responsibilities of adulthood, I end up suffering from burn out, which ends up being worst than maintaining story momentum!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
    The stodgy ol' business card says, "Mathemagician". Yes I sling equations professionally for a living.
    As an engineer I can sympathize with you. I found differential equations and quantum physics easier to pick up than the new rules for grappling and attacks of opportunity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I get out of school early every day and don't have a job, so I have a lot of free time. As my current campaign is online and all the other players have tons of free time, too, I can play practically any time I want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: My fears from a couple of weeks ago are null and void. We played back then and we played again last night. With luck we're back to twice a month.

"Roll initiative."
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra

Downloads
    Uploads
    man back in the day we played twice a week. Now I am lucky to get the team together for one game in a blue moon. i know as you get older sometimes things like gaming get harder for people to find time for. but it is hard to loose the ability to do a hobby you love because you can not find people who have the time to play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You want to talk about back in the day...

When I had just graduated high school and had started college, I went to a community college full-time in my town. At the same time, I was working part-time, but that didn't stop me from gaming!

I would go to class around 1 pm, then finish up classes and be to work at roughly 5 pm. I'd be at work till around 9:30 pm then head over to a friend's house. By mid-night we had started playing and would play till around 7:30 in the morning! I'd get home by around 8 am and go to bed, waking up by 12 noon! Then repeat the same sequence for the whole week.

On the weekends, I usually worked either Saturday or Sunday for most of the day and did homework. This went on for about 8 months till my father and I were fighting quite often about my schedule. Needless to say, I didn't continue it much after that first 8 months, but those were some great games!

Don't think I'd change that part of my life if I could do it over, cept maybe study a little harder, but I would probably reduce how much I gamed and generally slacked off when I went away to college after getting my associates!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, back in high school, we gamed three or four times a week, with 12 hour marathon sessions on the weekends. NOW, however, I am lucky to sit in on one game every couple of months. My group has been hard to get together lately. I used to DM pretty heavily but, like Farcaster, I have difficulty keeping my interest going if I have longer than a couple of weeks between sessions. Ideas that seem great when you first think them up tend to lose some of their luster before you actually get around to using them. Momentum loss always kills my enthusiasm. So, we tried running a lot of one-shots when we couldn't get everyone together, but that gets boring after a while. I just couldn't get very interested in what I considered to be disposable characters. Then my buddy offered to run a few modules, and I was more than happy to pass the reins. I've only played about three or four regular characters since I started playing D&D, and am pretty excited to get this campaign started. We are, however, waiting till after the holidays to get started, so we have a better chance of getting something rolling and playing more often. Wish us luck!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast