Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Story Telling and Story Writing

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Story Telling and Story Writing

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I associate gaming from all genres with writing fiction, and I have been known to write shorts about characters in my champaign worlds as well as include characters from my stories that make cameos in my games.

Including characters from my stories makes it easier for me to introduce a believable character. He/She appears fleshed out to my players, and I can begin the interaction with the PCs in a much more dynamic fashion.

Are there any others that do this in there games?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quite often, yes. Short stories, journals, time-lines, accessory stories, histories, and so on. Yeah, I've got too much time on my hands and I'm way OCD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After work, wife, children and gaming; I am lucky to find time to read anything.

I tried in a Sci-Fi game in college, when I did some writing. My players didn't seem to notice much difference, or at least said nothing that would lead me to believe otherwise. So, either my writing isn't that good, or my improvisation is great.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the improv. I have ten times as many villians in my game worlds, especially the superhero ones, than I do the good guys. So they end up doing things the players sometimes have a hard time understanding.

As an example, Killer Queen (just like in the song) always seems to come up with a lazer beam pistal just as she's about to be jailed. Even when she has been CAREFULLY searched.

Just be sure you really sant to join my champions game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has usually ended up going the other way for me. I've had several NPCs I have created for games that I then really come to enjoy and end up wanting to write about or incorporate into other stories. Come to think of it though, the most successful NPCs in my games, have almost always fit well into one of the typical archetypes -- i.e. the gruff but fiercely loyal dwarf; the redeemed orc-become-paladin; or the mostly insane, childlike kender. In my games, these have absolutely been the most well received NPCs -- the characters my group has come to love (or in the case of the kender, love to hate). But, those archetypes are perhaps too overused in fiction, so they might fare as well on the slush pile.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For major NPCs I tend to work up fairly complete histories. Can't say that I do that for every NPC, but I do try and work through motivations for even the minor ones, even if I do it on the fly.

I'd like to completely flesh out every NPC the players run into, but just like most others, I don't have the time.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone ever used NPC's from the written sources like Enemies and Allies in an effort to save time? I always end up spending all sorts of time fine tuning them to better fit my vision, which saves little time.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Has anyone ever used NPC's from the written sources like Enemies and Allies in an effort to save time? I always end up spending all sorts of time fine tuning them to better fit my vision, which saves little time.
    Glad to see I'm not the only person who really doesn't like pre-written NPCs and has to make them his own! I've always seen something that didn't fit the concept of where I was going with the game, even when I used pre-written game worlds.

Don't get me wrong, they are time savers at least to some extent, but I always find things about them that I don't like.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pre written NPC's - Often in my old Champions game (or even Marvel Super Heroes), I would use supplements to give me the villain of the week. But as far as those NPC's that would be around to last, I'd stick to my own creations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For major NPCs in my Star Wars game I usually have a pretty good idea of what their background is but that info stays in my head because I may change things on the fly as the PCs interact with them.

And it grows and develops from there. I am constantly thinking about the reactions the NPCs that the PCs come into contact with have. You know, did the PCs piss off the NPC and if so what does the NPC do about it. That's usually the case, PCs pissing off NPCs.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."