Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GURPS Autoduel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was actually very interested in playing in a Quarantine setting with Car Wars or Autoduel. Are the rules more complex in Autoduel? Quarantine requires heavily armored cars, upgradeable of course over time, and the ability to interact with humans. Car wars is either exactly what I'm looking for or damn close.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Car Wars focuses more on the vehicles as far as the rules are concerned, or I should say, all versions do that except maybe the latest. I'm not sure if they've changed the rules as I don't own the latest version. You do have rules to deal with the individual, but they're pretty basic, because Car Wars focused on the cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc.

AutoDuel on the other hand, focused on the individual or Duelist first and then included vehicles. You end up with a better defined character with AutoDuel than Car Wars.

But they both have their appeal!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

'nuff said. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with GURPS Autoduel is getting the players to leave the vehicle on occasion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    <Picture removed>

'nuff said. ^^
    That's why you use the Car Wars system for building vehicles, it's a whole lot simpler!

Oh and yes you're right, it's hard to get the players out of their cars!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tangent: I have a friend who wants to beat Steve Jackson to death with his copy of Autoduel Champions. This was the Car Wars/Champions crossover that had three chapters, IIRC: Supers in Car Wars, Autoduel in Champions, and helicopters. Steve swore that helicopters weren't going to appear anywhere else, so my friend (who hates superheroes) bought the thing. Two years later Steve went back on his promise and put helicopters in Deluxe Car Wars...

Anyway, I'd say use Car Wars for the combat rules, if it still existed- looks like Car Wars 5th ed. went back to premade cars, with construction rules "forthcoming"... They've been "forthcoming" since 2002, so good luck =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've allways had a way to get the characters out of their cars. It's called "The Might Crowbar." Its been years since I owned a copy of Car Wars, although I still have Ogre and G.E.V.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Downloads
    Uploads
    We mean when GMing GURPS Autoduel, where there's supposed to be some role-playing involved. It's not uncommon for players to want to install a loudspeaker and interact with the rest of the world that way... but it's hard to blame them, I'd rather stay in MY tank TOO. heh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, Ogre and G.E.V., that brings back memories. I just pulled those out the other day when I was going through someold boxes. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    I've allways had a way to get the characters out of their cars. It's called "The Might Crowbar." Its been years since I owned a copy of Car Wars, although I still have Ogre and G.E.V.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah, I knew you meant in RPing form. Just limit the amount of ammo they have, or remind them that tanks don't have 'ficilities'. And air scrubbers don't do that!

I still have a 35 year old copy of Space Gamer which has an article on desighing Ogres from the chassis up. Still do it once in a while. Would love for a shot a a game.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by InvestFDC View Post
    Wow, Ogre and G.E.V., that brings back memories. I just pulled those out the other day when I was going through someold boxes. Good times.
    I'm still painting the minis. I need a few more tanks.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    yeah, I knew you meant in RPing form. Just limit the amount of ammo they have, or remind them that tanks don't have 'ficilities'. And air scrubbers don't do that!
    heh. The munchkins that are likely to be playing in any given group would then just take an Odious Personal Habit for that. heh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    heh. The munchkins that are likely to be playing in any given group would then just take an Odious Personal Habit for that. heh.
    They'd be unhappy that you can't use poo as a weapon!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    They'd be unhappy that you can't use poo as a weapon!
    Oh, I'm sure you could figure out the stats for that... let's see. Definitely an improvised thrown weapon, so it would use the Throwing skill (DX/Average), with no actual damage... but it would definitely have a minor stun effect. Say 1d6-3 (minimum 1) rounds of stun unless a real threat presents itself... as their opponent stands their, sputtering, saying "did... you... just... fling... POO at ME?!?!?"

As my wife points out, the stun effect would have limited usability, after the first stun ran out, they would be less surprised in the future.

That works for me.
    Last edited by cliff; 02-28-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure! Go ahead and limit the stun effect. Just remember it probably has an enrage effect also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast