Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D&D 3.X Combat Stories

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAwkward View Post
    * It's not suitable for work, small children, or anyone offended by profanity.
    thanks for the tip. my wife claims that she has three kids, two little and one big. so i guess i qualify for the middle catagory there. ^^
    Last edited by nijineko; 02-11-2008 at 06:37 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the tip. my wife claims that she has three kids, two little and one big. so i guess i qualify for the middle catagory there. ^^[/quote]

My wife bought me two boxes of minis today, and a Breyer Horse for herself. We have more toys than the average house with children.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, if i didn't keep having to dump books.... ours would look like a branch library.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    well, if i didn't keep having to dump books.... ours would look like a branch library.
    That too.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

This week's adventure

My group was getting antsy with our current campaign, so I took over DMing and started a 3.5 game, and told the players they could make level 5 characters, with no restrictions as to race, class, etc.

One of the players made a Goliath Half-Dragon Barbarian (ECL +3) that was tearing apart anything I could throw at him. After about half the session, I decided it would be a good time to have the party meet a Wight.

3 hits of Energy Drain and the Barbarian fell.

Note: he rolled 3 critical failures in as many rounds of combat, so he was mostly dead anyways.

What WAS fun however, was when he rose up 4 rounds later as a wight himself. It took the rest of the party nearly dying to take him down again.

Let me tell you, letting the players build the most insane characters they can think of lets me be as evil as I want to the party. It is perhaps the most fun I've ever had DMing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My absolute favorite combat memory involves an Aboleth, a barbarian, and a rogue-fighter. The PCs were in a black dragon lair, hunting down one of the five aspects of Tiamat (another story for another time) when they came across a pool of acid. They had amulets that allowed them to swim through this acid, but they were just discovering this themselves.

The barbarian, true to form, leaps into the acid pool as soon as he has the slightest inkling that he is now immune to it. He has just enough time to turn around and look at the party when he gets suddenly pulled underwater (underacid?) and finds himself face to face with an Aboleth.

Not knowing what it is, and not caring, he begins his assault on the beast. The rogue-fighter, having witnessed this from the shore, is the only other one actually wearing his necklace, so he leaps in after the barbarian. In the very next round, the Aboleth hits the rogue-fighter with a tentacle, forcing him to make a will save or be dominated.

The rogue-fighter fails, of course, and immediately turns his attacks toward the barbarian.

Now, you must understand this barbarian. Were the word "barbarian" not so commonly used in D&D, I would use it to describe him now. He is by far the most barbaric barbarian I've ever seen. I hope you will understand my point after this.

The barbarian immediately stops caring about the Aboleth, who had so far been unable to do much of anything to him, and turns toward the rogue-fighter. With no hesitation what-so-ever, enraged by the betrayal, he reaches toward the rogue-fighter and makes a successful disarm attempt, thus ripping the amulet off him.

Immediately, of course, the rogue-fighter's body begins to sizzle in the acid. He starts to make a break for the surface, despite the pain, but then his bag dissolves. See, this rogue-fighter likes to carry alchemical elixirs. Alchemist's fire, sunrods, smokesticks, you name it. A LOT of them. He had over 40 alchemist's fires in his bag at the time. And what happens when those suddenly burst open under acid all at once?

BOOM.

The barbarian was the only one who made it out alive, untroubled by any of the events as usual.

Downloads
    Uploads

My favorite

My favorite storie is when I just started a new character at lvl 1 Then we got in a ambush My little lvl 1 dwarf cleric held off a lvl 5 dude as the lvl 6 buddie of mine was having a hard time just trying to hold off a lvl 1 dude I guess its the luck of the dice. LOL!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i recall one story where the party archer managed to get an e-crit and rolled either a 66 or 00 which are the most lethal possible results on the crit charts, which roll resulted in the arrow severing the spine of a cave troll, felling it instantly. quite impressive.

my character followed up by using various ice effects on the catapults to foul them up, before having to run away from the catapult crews. all in all, we managed to successfully defend the fortress. partly because i insisted that we were going to be attacked that night, and decided to sleep on the other side of the river in enemy territory. sure enough, they decided to ambush us. my advance harassment of the enemies, and early warning enabled the fort to better defend itself.

now this was because i could just feel it as a player that it was going to happen. the setup was simply too good. it just screamed ambush to me. so when my dm took me aside afterwards and asked if he had given it away and how, i assured him he hadn't. then he wanted to know how i knew, and after hemming and hawing a bit, in a moment of inspiration, i claimed women's intuition on behalf of my character (i'm male, but the character was obviously female). ^^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123