Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D&D 3.X Combat Stories

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Heh, its got some pizzaz... but wouldn't it have been easier to make a ballista bolt out of the dragonslayer sword? Would be easier to test to make sure it'd actually work and not blow up .

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently the DM set 13 Orcs agaisnt a caravan with 5 PCs. The fight went badly. Raphael, my warkock, refusted to go quietly and when doing his level best to stop it didn't work he ran.

They didn't capture him, and the two orcs that tried to run him down got killed for their troubles. A third wounded Orc was walking back (He was on a runaway wagon) Raphael killed him as well.

Now equipped with better armor, but still wounded, he joined Kalita the Halfling Druid who also got away. The Orcs had the party trapped in the cellar of a ruined house.

We scoped the place out and I went up a tree that gave me a clear shot inside the building. A Eldrich blast a round kept most of the Orcs pinned down. Then I stopped. One less Orc when one stuck his head up. Kalita the Druid was meanwhile dealing with the Orcs trying to sneak out the back way. Fire and arrows.

Mean-meanwhile the party is in the basement trying to get out. They make friends with the half Orc the others are kicking around and came boiling out. Nearly loosing their heads to a blast that came roaring in.

Orcs are now chasing Kalita. As she runs past my tree Raphael grabs her and heads higher. Several Orcs tried to cut down the tree, they are losing an Orc a round to blasts. Three dead in three rounds and the remainder give that up and try to join the general melee at the house now firmly underway. That lasts not much longer with one Orc running for his life.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Recently the DM set 13 Orcs agaisnt a caravan with 5 PCs. The fight went badly. Raphael, my warkock, refusted to go quietly and when doing his level best to stop it didn't work he ran.
    Warkock? I though they took an hour to recharge after every eldrich blast.

Seriously, though, Warlocks are one of my new favorite classes for extended combats. Had one pester the party not too long ago, in fact.
    Last edited by DrAwkward; 01-22-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Contact me via PM -- email from this site isn't working for me.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i was running this one game where i had a bunch of tribal types ambush the party with sleep poison darts and arrows. after a few rounds, everyone in the party had fallen prey to the poison... except for this one character. (i was generously allowing the character to roll the save for his horse, a mistake.) the orcs were less powerful than the party and knew it, so they wouldn't confront him directly, but stuck to ranged attacks.

well, there were tripwires too, but those were not too effective, as it turned out. in any case, he kept making passes back and forth wounding more and more of the tribals, and taking more hits, with more poison. however, and we still have trouble believing this, he made ~23 consecutive saving throws of increasing difficulty. (his horse finally failed the save, but he made is tumble check for landing safely...)

i finally gave it up and just declared that his character was immune to sleep poison. so he alone managed to escape and follow the tribal types back to where they held the rest of the characters prisoner. and promptly planned for how to release them.

we were all in stiches at the improbability of that streak of saving throws. even i could do nothing but laugh helplessly at the end.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck gone awry

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hey, i'm not mean-spirited. something like that should be rewarded! =D best laid plans, and all.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    This was two weeks after running from a castle inhabited by some sort of undead ruler and his minions. We've returned to the castle. As we approach the front gate, we see six Dreadguards standing guard. This is bad, as I've got no spells that can really hurt them, and our rogue can't sneak-attack them, leaving our one 3rd-level fighter -- who lost his swords in the last encounter -- as our main offense against these guys. Fighting may not quite be suicide, but it'll be painful.

Well, my sorceror just happens to be fond of illusion spells. And he knows what the castle's liege looks and sounds like. A quick Disguise Self later, I march straight up to the critters and stand before them, the spitting image of our unliving buddy. I cast Ghost Sound to be sure I get the voice just right.

"I command you to attack each other until no other Dreadguard is left standing."

There's nothing quite like watching your enemies reduce each other to piles of scrap metal at your bidding.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "There's nothing quite like watching your enemies reduce each other to piles of scrap metal at your bidding."

That's brilliant!! I hope you got a little extra something for that one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing better than a well fought combat is a well avoided combat.

Nicely done!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many moons ago, our group was fighting an Unholy warrior, a paladin of some evil god. Anyway, he was as chaotic evil as you can be, and really powerful. We had fought our way through his hordes of minions, past traps, monsters, etc. Our thief snuck up behind him while we distracted him by blunting his magic 2 handed sword with our bodies. The thief snuck up, unobserved and...

Put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on his head, making him a goody two shoes. None of us knew he was going to do it, was quite a surprise. The DM had to think about it for a few, to see what happened. It worked, he became Lawful Good, I believe.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just hope he doesn't get any scalp itch....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was once in a low level (1-8) campaign and the party was composed of a gnome illusionist, a elan sorcerss who was deathly afraid of rabits (since a whole feral, dire tribe killed her hometown), a halfgiant half dwarf fighter/monk/ranger, and a elven druid.

we were hiking along a mountian pass because we were bored and wanted to go for a stroll, the campaign was going nowhere so we decided to force the gm to make a side story. we found a golbin cave full of baddies, we decimated them all and holed up in their little cave. at this point i will explain the gear we had.

The illusionist had a staff that held disguise self, host sound and silent image. a set of magic robes which protected him and a crossbow that stored spells.

the sorceress was over confident, having nothing than battle robes and a greatsword.

the halfgiant/dwarf was approx. 6ft tall, the joining between a giant and a dwarf was something out of a fairy tale, that is hated by both races and gets shuned from it's home. he had with him a pair of keen handaxes, alond with a fullblade and gauntlets of storm giant strength. he was set for battle.

the elven druid was a peacefull fellow, he like hikes, but this excursion into the cave he had no favor for. he was equipped with a staff of forest change, which allowed him direct communication with any plant life and the plants treated him as a hero. he had no offensive weapons at all.

as we rested in the cave the gnome and the halfgiant/dwarf decided since they had the best vision in darkness and the gnome could hide them if need be, they would adventure into the cave. they wandered for about 3 hours, becoming lost and they had no way to talk to their friends, fo some reason there was no plant life and the air became hot around them. a few more hours of adveturing and they encountered light, it was glden light being reflected off a pile of riches, but ontop of the pile was a slain red dragon and a slain black dragon. as the 2 adventurers entered this room they saw that the light came from a big hole in the cieling. the adventurers left at the camp got worried and decided to use the sorceress's spell message, to contact them. they had to exit and hike up the mountian by foot, they took their time to get their and found the ridge of the hole. as they were setting up the ropes to allow the 2 that were stuck down there to get up they fell. now all the adventurers are stuck in the treasure hoard.

they took a hour to come up with nothing. then a great flappin of wings broke our focus, as we all scurried to hide a great black dragon landed on the pile and started to fill containers of trewasure and flew off. we concluded that he won the fight and is just getting his spoils. so we decided to op in a containr he left and cover ourselves with treasure. the sorceress used tensers disk to make a barrier between us and the gold so we didnt get squished. time passed nad the dragon returned, grabbed us and flew away. we exited the container using the disk to carry the weight off us. and we were in a swamp lair. we quickly gott out of there. as we were exiting the swamps, running througt the trees the dragon spotted us and began chase.

he soared down to catch us but we dodged him breaking through the trees into a clearing just big enough for him to make a landing. the party ran up into the trees trying to protect themselves. the dragon landed and began its attack.

the druid used his staff to close the trees to make a wall. and as he began to tear it down i (the halfbreed) climbed into a very tall tree, i would guess about 20foot.he came i jumped and landed plunging my fullblade halfway into his back and ulled out my axes to get to work on the muscle that controlled his wings. in a few rounds his wings were diabled, and he had to fight againts the people in t he trees and me on his back. after a hour of table play i killed th dragon by hacking at it with one hand while holding on to the fullblade. i saved some of his blood bones and acid, and his skull.
    Take a vacation to you own mind.....D&D

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, guess 'cow'boy isn't quite the right word... ^^ bet you were sore the next morning!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i had been thrown off, breaking my wrist, the gm had to injure me, i was untouchable up there
    Take a vacation to you own mind.....D&D

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome, Stride.

Since Stride (one of my players) is lurking on the boards now, I thought I'd share his stories from the perspective of his Bard's evil kobold cohort, Okfur.

I warn you:
    * It's in Blog reverse-cronology, I think. Okfur not so good with orginization.
    * It's not suitable for work, small children, or anyone offended by profanity.
    * I still can't read it without crying from laughter. Maybe you had to be there, but I think he gets his point across.

http://www.mercy-limited.com/okfur/2...3_archive.html

Also, rummage around. I think its multiple pages.
    Last edited by DrAwkward; 02-06-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    Contact me via PM -- email from this site isn't working for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast