Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fantasy In GURPS
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy In GURPS

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Fantasy In GURPS

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Last night I finally looked up the GURPS fantasy products and the bestiary. I was very upset to learn it had nothing to do with creating fantasy based settings. The bestiary was OLD as can be. Anybody know of fantasy products for GURPS? Something along the line of what GURPS Space is for fantasy. I'm not interested in fantasy settings published for GURPS like Conan.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Fantasy book (4e) is more like GURPS Space but honestly I didn't find it that useful, might be that I just own similar books. However the old Fantasy (pre 4e) book is for the world of Yrth (its a good setting but its not there to help you create one)

Downloads
    Uploads
    That book isn't actually too bad. If only there was a fantasy themed bestiary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you taken a look at that book? Compare that to the D&D monster manual or any other 3.X bestiary and that book is horrible. I don't even see how even half of the beasts mentioned could be considered fantasy. Just not my cup of tea

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Point taken, I would grab the AD&D Monsterous Manual then and use the descriptions to make your own builds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    one thing gurps is good at is conversion. you can convert almost anything into gurps with not too much effort. =D i bet they had a hard time trying to come up with stuff that felt fantasy-ish without seeming like they were ripping off of others.... i think that part of the problem is that they didn't have a coherent theme to work with. since they have so many backgrounds to cover and all....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't mind playing fantasy in GURPS since most of the D&D stuff I am interested in is purely based on setting. D&D is more combat oriented, generally speaking, than I believe GURPS would be (for me as a DM anyway). I'm really interested in playing fantasy with a point based system and not a class based one. I just wish I could find some solid conversion rules for D&D monsters. I don't need D&D to GURPS game system rules, just the monsters. If I find anything tangible I will be sure to post it. If I can't find anything then I'll be sure to post the bible i create to accomplish the task

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that's not hard. you look at the STR tables in dnd and the weight tables in gurps. there's your STR conversion. the CON bonus to hp and the mechanic for calculating your hp in gurps is pretty simple and straight forward too. look at the bonuses to saves from stats, and the secondary characteristics and calculate that way. it's not that difficult to come up with a fair comparison. (as long as you are not using supers rules, that is....) just a bit time consuming.

or go look up Grimtooth's books, he has various conversion values in the back that might help you out. =D not to mention the traps.... >=D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS isn't my favorite magic system but it is a good one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They've put out several magic products for GURPS though. I would think high magic settings like D&D would have been covered in one or more of them

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    then go look at steve jackson's munchkin line. i suspect that he's deliberately trying to keep away from mimicking anything d&d-ish in gurps. just a suspicion.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    then go look at steve jackson's munchkin line. i suspect that he's deliberately trying to keep away from mimicking anything d&d-ish in gurps. just a suspicion.
    Munchkin is a card game, not an RPG. Its a fun card game, but a card game.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Munchkin is a card game, not an RPG. Its a fun card game, but a card game.
    Actually, there's also a Munchkin d20 series of books. From what I understand, though, it simply takes the spells/monsters/classes from Munchkin cards and transposes them to d20.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast