Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Prepared spells
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepared spells

Downloads
    Uploads

Prepared spells

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    OK, how many of you DMs actually keep track of what spells your casters prepare, for characters that prepare spells ahead of time (Cleric, Druid, Wizard, etc)? I find it tiresome, but if you don't, then the casters are way overpowered, because they can do four Fireballs per day, or any other combination of powerful spells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan to keep track of it for the Semndon's Apprentice game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, as a GM I don't actually track it. I make the players track it. Usually they write down their generic daily spell list. If they need to adjust it for a specific encounter, then they tell me that in game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For players, they do need to prepare specific spells in my games. Its one of the balancing factors of the game.

For NPCs, I usually only pick the top two levels of spells, since they usually won't live long enough to cast the lower level stuff.
    Contact me via PM -- email from this site isn't working for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you said "your casters" I assumed that you meant the NPCs flinging magic at the PCs.

I won't keep track of PCs' spells, but I expect them to. The DM having some insight into what spells PCs have prepared can also be handy for either balancing encounters or making them more interesting, though there are also reasons for keeping it a surprise.
    Last edited by Riftwalker; 01-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I have way too much fun making characters, I normally have a list of prepated spells for those caster that require it, but if I'm winging it, I just track spell slots used.

I like having the spells ahead of time because I use the spells from the casters to hep balance the encounter, as the challenge supplied by an Enchanter is much different from those of a Druid/Conjurer, compaired to an Evoker, compaired to a "Divine Might" Cleric.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I trust my players to keep track of their own spell lists. For NPCs, I usually print up a sheet and just mark off the spells as I go. However, I am now experimenting with spell points in my current game, so we'll see how that goes.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tell my players to make a spell list, but usually do not check up on them. Once in a great while, when they suddenly come up with the perfect spell or a spell I haven't seen them cast forever, I will ask to see their spell list. The occasional check will keep them honest.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Players track it. I'm more generous as we don't use fire and forget, but you still have a fixed number known and a fixed number per day. Generally a caster knows twice as many spells as they can cast and prepares as many different spells as they can cast for a given day.

Clerics do not memorize, they have the whole list at their prayer beads. They just have to track numbers of spells.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Clerics do not memorize, they have the whole list at their prayer beads. They just have to track numbers of spells.

Actually, Clerics pray for certain spells from their deity. They know of all the Cleric spells that the DM is willing to let them have access to, but they have to pray for access to a particular spell at any one time. The only thing Clerics don't need to pray for is Cure/Inflict spells, as they can spontaneously convert prepared spells into one of those, depending on their alignment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i play spontaneous casters almost exclusively. preferably psionics. or sorcerers and favored souls with runestaffs and scrolls otherwise. =D otherwise i agonize over choices and slow everyone else down waiting for me to make up both of my minds. so i'm doing my groups a favor that way. my personal ideal of a caster? beholder mage. (now if i could just get that in an ecl'ed flavor....)
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I trust my characters to keep track of it where their character class mandates that they should. Spell memorization is a part of the balance to the game and I stick with it. I don't check it obsessively and treat them like cheaters, but I do make it clear that a wizard has to prepare spells (as does a cleric, etc.) and my game does not break that rule.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remind them. As a player I don't mind so much anymore as I really like that the clerics can now swap out for heals and that wizards can just leave some slots open for non-combat spells (or combat if you have the downtime to prep them between encounters)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    Actually, Clerics pray for certain spells from their deity.
    I was speaking of how I work it. Clerics do not have to prep spells at all.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lucky clerics. any other goodies you give them?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast