Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
D&D Ask Wizards: 01/18/2008 (Non-Combat Related XP Rewards)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Ask Wizards: 01/18/2008 (Non-Combat Related XP Rewards)

Downloads
    Uploads

Post [AD&D] Ask Wizards: 01/18/2008 (Non-Combat Related XP Rewards)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Ask Wizards: 01/18/2008

Will there be more non-combat game mechanics and rewards in 4th Edition than in previous editions? Can you talk about the goals and ideas behind the design of this area? Do you have any examples?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't really answer anything...

Yes, there are mechanics for rewarding players for completing non-combat goals. Look for more specific information about these on D&D Insider.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All roads lead to the Insider....if WotC has anything to say about it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Didn't really answer anything...
    Finally somebody else agrees with me on these "Ask Wizards" things

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys......the game isn't even finished yet. The only reason WotC is making these little videos is to show that they are actually reading the e-mails and angry forum posts.

They have until May to finish the game and all the rules are still fluid so what would be the point in telling the players about a mechanic only to have it work differently or be removed when the PHB hits the shelves?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand this perfectly. My only complaint is that the questions they list that are covered, when compared to the content in the actual videos, don't always match up. I just wish the questions listed were as discreet as the video answers themselves. Consistency is all I desire. My gripe is not with the game designers, the people in the videos, or with 4E at all. My whining is directed at the "Ask Wizards" project team only. Simple as that

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are grouping together all the similar questions and those in the same vein and then putting out a video response. It shows that they are reading the e-mails and forum posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    It shows that they are reading the e-mails and forum posts.
    No question about that. A simple rewording would accomplish the same goal. It would appear they are stuffing as much "coverage" as possible into each text question but the videos are not covering as much as the text questions would have you believe. It reminds me of a politician running for office. They give you a list of all these things they are going to change if they are elected, but once in office only a fraction of them actually come to fruition.

Bah I don't want to beat this dead horse anymore than I already have. I think I got my point across although many might not agree. I'm glad somebody out there is fulfilled with the feature. Living proof that the Ask Wizards team is satisfying at least one demographic
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 01-27-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If anything, these answers create more angst and worry than they appease. They didn't answer any of the questions. They talked around them and simply stated there were some mechanics. More, less, goals, ideas, examples, etc. are a mystery. Many people will read into that and suddenly say "Oh my, they are going to force non combat experience down our throats...", "Just like them not to give experience for non-combat situations like we have been crying for..", "The sky is falling, we must jump ship and look into GURPs...", etc.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "The sky is falling, we must jump ship and look into GURPs..."
    Way ahead of you

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If anything, these answers create more angst and worry than they appease. They didn't answer any of the questions. They talked around them and simply stated there were some mechanics. More, less, goals, ideas, examples, etc. are a mystery. Many people will read into that and suddenly say "Oh my, they are going to force non combat experience down our throats...", "Just like them not to give experience for non-combat situations like we have been crying for..", "The sky is falling, we must jump ship and look into GURPs...", etc.
    Chicken Littles end up as chicken soup. Lizards cannot "force" anything down my throat. That whole Rule Zero thing happening. Heck, I stopped awarding individual XP awards years ago and use a simple to calculate over all award to the group at large. A percentage of an average level. I look down my chart and hand out a number award for each PC.

Doesn't matter what Lizards does, I am not changing my reward system.

It is a symptom of a tendency in younger gamers to treat the rules, even what they consider bad rules as some kind of holy writ. I heard a couple of younger fellows complain the "The rulers for daggers suck." "Yea they suck totally." I looked them in the eye and said. "So why don't you change them?" They went all wide-eyed and moved away from, the crazy odd guy. They could not conceive of the idea of changing the rules as written.

Angsting over the next move Lizards plans or does not plan to make is the same thing. An inability to imagine not playing by the great and holy scripture, in this case D&D.

It's not, great or holy. It's an idea, a set of rules to play a game. Your ideas are as good as those of anyone working for a game company and indeed might be better. Collecting a paycheck from Lizards does not make them some guru of gaming beyond compare. If you think you have a better idea by damn use that idea. The worst than can happen is the idea doesn't work and you try something else. At best, you improve your game.

Remember, your ideas are the equal of any other person's ideas, no matter how famous or well known that person might be. No matter what kind of money is behind that person. Their brain is no better than yours.

It's just a game, and it's your game, not their game.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you completely tesral. I just wanted to add that, as a wargamer, changing the rules in a game instills great doubt. Lots of play testing goes into making sure rules are balanced and work well together. For those of us who look at rule systems and go "WOW that is complicated. Glad I'm not the guy designing this stuff." changing the rules isn't some easy task that is done and forgotten. A great deal of fear goes into changing what consumers often believe to be perfect and/or time proven systems for fun. Now is that line of thinking flawed or spot on? I think that is greatly dependent on the person changing the rules

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I agree with you completely tesral. I just wanted to add that, as a wargamer, changing the rules in a game instills great doubt. Lots of play testing goes into making sure rules are balanced and work well together. For those of us who look at rule systems and go "WOW that is complicated. Glad I'm not the guy designing this stuff." changing the rules isn't some easy task that is done and forgotten. A great deal of fear goes into changing what consumers often believe to be perfect and/or time proven systems for fun. Now is that line of thinking flawed or spot on? I think that is greatly dependent on the person changing the rules
    Yes, completely. One first has to realize that a given rule is broken. That can take a bit of play in and of itself. Then you need to decide what to do about it and then that has to be tested to determine that the new way is not broken. One does not simply change rules willy nilly.

However one should be willing to examine any rules set that is proving problematic and seek a fix. One does not have to wait for the gurus on high to hand down the golden tablets of approved official rules.

I'm an old wargamer myself. I still enjoy getting out the minis and having a knockdown drag out battle be it the 1/300 scale planes in Thunderbolt, a quick and deadly game of Ogre or something I've never played before. I need to check out this Flames of War thing. I've been hearing good things.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Yes, completely. One first has to realize that a given rule is broken. That can take a bit of play in and of itself. Then you need to decide what to do about it and then that has to be tested to determine that the new way is not broken. One does not simply change rules willy nilly.

However one should be willing to examine any rules set that is proving problematic and seek a fix. One does not have to wait for the gurus on high to hand down the golden tablets of approved official rules.
    Amen! Very well said