Does anyone know where I could find an NPC database?
Currently, I'm looking for modern types, but I have needed fantasy, horror, cyberpunk, and future types. An all-in-one resource like that would be great.
Great idea. Since I play so many different games, I like the idea of an open data resource where people can contribute their characters and have them stat'ed or not.
I started to type "It would need to be...", but then I got to thinking that this is a rather large project that requires some thought. Providing this is possible.
So, what would it take to have an NPC Database? What are we looking for?
The reason I think we should use a text block is because there are so many genres out there and a thousand systems. It might be impossible to create a common way of recording characters.
- A database that is searchable by genre or system or keyword.
- Characters can be posted as a blocks of text with maybe some standardizing for whatever system the character is created for.
- Each post could have tags associated (keywords) that flag the character's genre(s), and/or system. (and if that's not possible then a standard format could be built into the text block at the beginning of each character).
- Character teams could be posted in the block with a character count tag to show how many characters there are.
- The ability to post system-less and genre-less characters.
- A convenient way to download groups of characters.
- The ability to flag characters for later reference (or at least for that session--like a shopping cart), and pull them up as needed.
What say you?
Why go system specific? With so many systems out there you might limit its usefulness by listing it in stat block form.
That way if I enter a d20 character all someone has to do is convert the mechanics and and the WoD stats and amend the entry. That way you could filter by system for quick NPC or see them all and adapt the ones you like.
- Sort by Genre.
- Have a section on motivations, personality physical characteristics etc.
- Then have an area where you can enter and tag by system.
Sounds like we need and NPC Wiki.
Going system specific is not desirable, only as a Tag.
I discovered an NPC Wiki that is geared toward d20, and it lists "Other RPGs". http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Not exactly what I'm looking for, but at a cursory glance it looks well put together.
They have an extensive database of NPCs for nearly every game system.
trouble with obisidanportals npc list is that it has no way to be organized otherwise I would recomend it.