Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GURPS: How Much Of A Commitment?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayphailey View Post
    People have been playing fantasy role playing games using GURPS for years.

It's not really an either/or choice.

Jay ~Meow!~
    It is when you have to buy the books and learn the rules. Apparently Mulsiphix has no faith in his ability to retain information. Let this be a lesson to you youngins....don't get old or you might end up like Mulsiphix!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have yet to run into any setting, Faerun, Star Wars, Star Trek, modern day cop show, modern day urban fantasy

Not a single one that I couldn't run *adequately* using GURPS, either edition, Hero System, or D20 modern.

I am more Story based, so for me, it's about the players buying into their characters and the situations the characters find themselves in.

Sometimes the Players like the crunchy stuff - and a pretty straightforward combat secenario fills that need in any of these systems.

Sometimes a good session is when no die are touched.

Sometimes a good session is when the Players gulp and grip their dice, wondering if their characters are going to survive this mess.

The systemry is really secondary to the story and how well the players buy into it.

So what game system to buy?

GURPS is a good mix of flexible and easier. HERO system is good for detailed character conceptions and more finely detailed simulation. D20 is excellent for ease of play, but so-so on flexibility.

I can't tell you which one you will be happier with. I can tell you it's really far far secondary to who you're playing with and how much fun you have.

I know that D20 modern has a lot of support, but it's going to change, soon, because of D&D4th/Star Wars SAGA.

The GURPS books are spendy but they probably won't come up with a new edition soon. GURPS also has a boat load of world books and support information.

So. Flip a coin.

There is no point in getting really worked up, here. Role Playing Gaming is fun, but it's supposed to be just that. Fun. If you're not having fun, then it's not working like it should.

Jay ~Meow!~

Downloads
    Uploads
    My ability to retain information is quite adequate. But given that I split my time between raising two toddlers at home, am trying to write my first novel, supplementing my income with an eBay business, and spending quality time with my wife when no kids are around... well reading the entire PHB and DMG is a daunting task indeed. Thats a good 600+ pages right there that I need to be quite familiar with. I don't need to be a rules lawyer right off the bat but I would like to avoid looking up rules during the game as much as possible. Whether that is an actual physical book or the searchable SRD, it still brings the game to a halt.

In order to keep things consistent I prefer not to have to "wing it" when it comes to rulings anymore than I have too. I know that D&D isn't about rules lawyering and that the rules are more guidelines than unavoidable laws set in stone. However, I plan to house rule things quite a bit for my custom campaign settings. To do this I must first have a strong grasp on the existing rules before I can start to analyze what is lacking, what needs to be changed, what needs to be removed, etc... Since I've never played as a player and am going straight into being a DM there is little more I can do to prepare than to be well acquainted with the information presented in the PHB and DMG.

I don't see GURPS as much of an epic learning experience as the majority of the complexities lye in character creation and not the game mechanics themselves. However when learning D&D is concerned I just don't think I''ll have enough free time to learn the GURPS system and host a second game each week in a GURPS setting. Since I only have time to play in one setting each week there really is no point in learning both right now. While I am confident I could learn both I don't think there is much point to learning both systems and only playing a weekly game using one of the systems. I'm definitely a "cause and effect" learner. I take in info just fine but without seeing it executed I will eventually forget a lot of what I learned. I remember Algebra near perfectly but remember virtually nothing from French class.

I'm still leaning heavily towards GURPS. It would be much easier if Malhavoc Press didn't put out so many blockbuster products. I think it is funny that I covet his work so much when the majority of it was variant rules and alternate classes, spells, feats, etc... GURPS gives me all the possibilities that Malhavoc Press books do, except its under one unified system. Too bad there aren't products like Ptolus or Wilderlands for GURPS

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is entirely possible to convert world bokks and supplements betyween systems, if you want to.

The setting is not the same as the game mechanics.

Jay ~Meow!~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    Unless you are a serious bibilophile, then I would recommend buying used copies of the core books.
    Used is a great idea. Half price and less even. Get twice the book for the budget.

On the role-playing side you will get just as much role-playing as GM and players want. The system is not a factor. Anyone can write a background. I have backgrounds for fiction characters that have absolutely no system attached at all.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. Cheap books and used books are just as good. If not better.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...rds=d20+modern

Not the best prices for the core books. but the supplement oprices are not bad.

Ebay has some better prices
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...%26catref%3DC6

Jay ~Meow!~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazon also has decent prices for GURPS books, generally in the $23 - $26 range.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point price isn't much of a concern. I will buy the books off of eBay as they are cheaper, I can get them in lots, and I already do a lot of eBay buying and selling on a weekly basis. Besides the core books will be more than enough to get me started. Still trying to figure out what kind of setting I want to play in first

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I just don't have the time to learn both systems. I see no point to learning both and then only playing using one of them.
    What do you mean by learning a system? It doesn't take long to figure out how to build a 1st level Fighter in D&D and run it against some Goblins. You can even do that with your wife, you as the DM and she as the player, if you're interested. Just about everything you need for this is in the SRD, so you are not down any money. If you want a better indication, buy a used premade adventure, or find one online. They usually have almost all you need to play. Granted, these adventures are usually made for multiple players, but they can be scaled somewhat.

Hmm... didn't you mention you have Dungeonmastering for Dummies elsewhere? If so, that has a very nice starting adventure tracking down a wererat.

I haven't played GURPS, but I'm sure lite is just the same. Pick out enough rules so that you can play one session with a very small plot, I'm sure folks could help point you in the direction for that.

Then see which one you liked better and go for it. There is no right answer, if you like Fantasy you'll like D&D assuming you have a relatively open mind and a willingness to fix things you think are broken. Same goes for Gurps, I'm sure.

I can see why you are overwhelmed... This forum is full of some of the most intelligent and advanced RPG players I've met, with some brilliant ideas and deep questions to work out. You don't need to start complex though, start simple and work from there.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS Fantasy world of Yrth is pretty darn cool to me. It's not the cup of tea for everyone, but if you're into earth's history and cultures at all, then you'll find Yrth pretty cool.

Basically, on the fantasy world of Yrth a long time ago the Dark Elves (not actually dark, named so because they broke away from other elves and misused magic) created a magical storm that went crazy and beyond their control. It is called the Banestorm.

The Banestorm has bends the boundries between worlds, and picks up people, groups and sometimes whole villages or towns from other worlds. The Banestorm has touched earth many times throughout our history.

Consequently, there is a large Oriental cultural mash from earth on Yrth. There is a large Celtic presence on Yrth. Their is a huge religious struggle between Christians and Muslims on Yrth. The Crusades from earth has basically continued on Yrth.

It is a really interesting concept and great way to blend some earth cultures and religions with a fantasy world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yrth sounds fascinating. I've been talking my wifes ear off for a solid four days now about my dilemma and I think I've finally come to a conclusion. GURPS is my system of choice. When I remove Ptolus, Wilderlands, and Malhavoc Press, there are few products left for D&D that I am excited about playing. I've been playing fantasy themed video games for years. Final Fantasy series, Neverwinter Nights, Bauldur's Gate series, and pretty much any popular fantasy themed RPG since the days of Nintendo. I was an avid video game console collector and have played a lot of games that were never even released in the states. While hardly D&D I was immersed in fantasy for the last two decades which is probably why D&D isn't the mouth watering fruit it is to so many others.

jayphailey brought up a very good point. This choice should have nothing to do with the products available for the systems but should be about the choice between system mechanics, as backgrounds can be tailored to fit just about any game system with a little work. When choosing between a class based system and a point based system the choice is, without doubt, clear; point based systems are for me. I could go on to discuss the benefits, as far as I'm concerned, but that is another thread all together.

I put wargaming on the side to pursue role playing. D&D's RP element relies heavily on the DM and combat within the system is more like a wargame. D&D combat as a wargame is a broken system as far as I am concerned. If I had to choose between D&D combat and another system, I would pick another system every time. D&D combat is overly complicated and not in a good way. The wargames I do know and love (BattleTech, Warhammer FRP/40K, VOR, Heavy Gear) are awesome and I've always fantasized about RP'ing as my characters. GURPS is the perfect system to do just that. GURPS + Wargame = PWNAGE!

I know the reason I kept coming back to D&D was because I didn't want to let Ptolus or Malhavoc Press go. Ptolus can be converted and what Malhavoc Press offers (variants, alternatives, new options) is freedom from well known system templates. GURPS offers me this freedom right out of the box with no need to purchase lots of other books to get the same effect. My thanks go out to everybody who participated in this thread and for being patient with me. I sincerely appreciate it

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're welcome. I find that, in regards to role playing gaming, all ida are grist for the mill. Ideas are where you find them.

Jay ~Meow!~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I put wargaming on the side to pursue role playing. D&D's RP element relies heavily on the DM and combat within the system is more like a wargame.
    I wish to clear this up. Role-playing in any system is entirely dependent on the GM and players. No system truly helps or hinders that. D&D isn't better for role-playing that anything else, nor is it worse.

Combat in any system will come off all war game on you, it is the necessity of the simulation. D&D combat flows quickly and easily, if you have people that can make up their minds. If you don't you get a 30 second egg timer. You can make it complex, but at the core it is not. Roll to hit, roll to damage, next please.

Background and motivations are created by the player. Even GURPS doesn't give you an role-playing reason for something like a "hunted". You have to create that. It just tells you what the disadvantage is, what the in system effects are. The role-playing reason and the special effects are up to you and GM.

Want some honest advice? Find a large gaming group at a local college. Play a few games before you decide on something. You don't need the books to play. GURPS has GURPS lite you can download, D&D has the SRD. Making a large investment without trying out the product is not a great idea.
    Last edited by tesral; 01-17-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    GURPS Fantasy world of Yrth is pretty darn cool to me. It's not the cup of tea for everyone, but if you're into earth's history and cultures at all, then you'll find Yrth pretty cool.
    I agree!!!!! though if your players have strong feelings on religion one way or the other it can ruin an otherwise fun game

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    I agree!!!!! though if your players have strong feelings on religion one way or the other it can ruin an otherwise fun game
    hehe..not a problem in my group...they're all equally predujiced against *any* organized religion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast