Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Game System Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Favorite Game System Of All Time?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I know quite a few of this forums population have quite a wide range of experience with multiple game systems. I'm quite interested in finding out what your number one most favorite gaming system is and why.

BattleTech is my all time favorite. Before I was introduced to this game I only knew gaming from a video gamers and standard boardgamers point of view. When I was introduced to true strategy and a VAST universe that was more rich than any I had previously known, I fell in love. To this day I enjoy playing this game more than all others. Even though I will soon be getting into GURPS I plan to tie in BattleTech heavily. GURPS will be the perfect replacement for MechWarrior RPG. It will allow me to create my Starship Trooper/BattleTech campaign I've dreamed of for so many years (Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles anyone?). No matter what the setting, if modern/futuristic warfare is possible, BattleTech will answer the call

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I've been searching for a "favorite" for a while. I'm a fan of GURPS and Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying (BRP). I have fond memories of The Fantasy Trip (now out of print), and my bookshelf is full of indie systems I'd like to try at least once because they look cool.

Right now, my current favorite is Spirit of the Century, an evolution of FATE 2.0 and a prototype for FATE 3.0. The system uses only a standard list of skills to cover every possible action (conceivably), a standard list of Stunts for unusual abilities, and Aspects which are arbitrary phrases describing what makes the character truly different. A player can "invoke" one of his Aspects and spend a Fate Point to alter a skill die roll; he can also "tag" Aspects of other characters, or the situation itself, to give himself a bonus. Occasionally the GM can offer a Fate point to "compel" an aspect, which prevents a player from taking a course of action contrary to the Aspect (e.g. a character "Raised in the Jungle" might not know how telephones work.).

The Aspect system subsumes advantages, disadvantages, relationships, backgrounds, and skill adjustments into one elegant system, and rewards creative use of story elements. (The damage system even involves adding a type of Aspect called "consequences", which NPCs can tag or the GM can compel: "Broken Leg", "Blood Loss", "Punch Drunk" ...) I wasn't too keen on the FATE 2.0 version, but the SotC version of Aspects really make the game interesting, especially as the evening wears on and players' Fate Points run low.

SotC is partly Open Content; the SRD is at http://www.crackmonkey.org/~nick/loy...te3/fate3.html (and a few other places).
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tough question. I've played a bunch over the years. And it really depends on how you define the term.

I've whittled the games I prefer to run down to three:

Shadowrun
    Paranoia
    Call of Cthulhu

Had you asked years ago I would have immediately said AD&D. What turned me off were the players I was dredging up out of the bottom of the containment pond. A second reason was the upgrade to 3. I was still mucking about with 2 and running 1 when 3 was announced. That immediately turned me off.

That's not to say that any of the three above are my favorites. I like Shadowrun but I wish the computer access part was more futuristic. I love Paranoia but it's really a one or two session game. I don't believe I could run a long term "adventure" with it. And I've never run CoC, I just like the mythos and the books. I want to try and run it before I go totally crazy and buy all the books.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Third Edition Shadowrun... Forth Edition killed much of the spirit that people loved about the game.

Beyond the Spuernatural

The Marvel Universe Diceless rpg.
    Last edited by jade von delioch; 01-15-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    Third Edition Shadowrun... Forth Edition killed much of the spirit that people loved about the game.

Beyond the Spuernatural
    I like 3rd, I really do. But it was much easier to start a group with 4th. There's just so many books to be somewhat knowledgeable about that it was a bit overwhelming.

With 4th I really only needed the core rules and Street Magic. I brought in Augmentation and expect to be able to assimilate Arsenal and Unwired when they arrive.

I could probably do the same with 3rd but so many folks have already devoured the core and the supplements and have incorporated lots of house rules that I wouldn't be able to GM a decent game.

For example, the 3rd Ed game I'm in. The GM has about 98% of the rules and stats memorized. I was bringing my books to the sessions but since he knows them all, I stopped bothering. He could reply immediately and I wouldn't even get the book out before he had an answer. After several verifications, I just stopped.

So everyone's pretty much starting off on the same level ground when I run 4th.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that's tough question to answer. Each system has merits and flaws. Now, if by favorite you mean nostalgic, then I would have to say 2nd Gamma World because this was the first RPG I ever played.

Now, if we're talking about actual game mechanics, then I would have to say the RQ3 version of BRP. I like skill-based systems more than level-based systems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By favorite I mean whatever your favorite game is, nostalgic, game mechanics, or otherwise. Defining it is up to you and multiple systems are more than welcome. I've stayed away from Shadowrun because I never really found anybody that was a big fan. Freejack is the first outspoken Shadowrun fan I've seen at this website. When I was researching it I thought the concept was great and could be a lot of fun but I just wasn't too optimistic about how great the game would be when executed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Without exception D&D, any version. In spite of the early rules (they were learning how to do it) I have had more fun with D&D than anything else I can think of with my clothes on. 32 years of fun. I think the game has to go to the top of the favorite pile for that alone. All flaws aside it has been fun and continues to be fun.

Sweet Jebuz. I have been playing D&D longer than I have not been playing D&D. Almost twice as long in fact. I started at 18, and I am now 50. What a hobby.
    Last edited by tesral; 01-16-2008 at 04:38 AM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got to say I'm pretty shocked that nobody listed Star Wars with all the Star Wars fans here. I'm equally shocked that nobody said the World of Darkness or any of the games in the franchise. WOD is one of the most talked about games in non-geek circles in my experience. And none of these non-geeks were LARP'ers either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i'm a larper, but i use boffer weapons and not rock/paper/scessors to solve my problems.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D was the very first pen and paper game I played, and it is still the nearest and dearest to my heart. I enjoy the occasional foray into other RPGs, like Star Trek -- using Last Unicorn games rules or even the original FASA, but I always come back to D&D.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got any videos? I must see LARP'ers in action! Nobody ever seems to have videos of LARP'ing goodness

Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry, i have not

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on who I'm playing with

Super Experienced Roleplayers = Burning Wheel - With motivations and career paths it lets you flex your improv acting muscles

Moderate Experienced Roleplayers = World of Darkness(New- Mortals) - With Character Creation in 5-10 min, Fixed TN of 8, and everything is Attribute+Skill+Gear-modifiers. I can't think of a system that stays out of the way of the game better

Noobs! = Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Its all there in one book(an adventure goodie!) and even has random character creation. As long as everyone watches the Lord of the Rings movies (or whatever fantasy movie/book/game) they will have no problems understanding the basics.

For sheer flavor I would say Shadowrun early 2nd edition right around the bugs

my 1/50th of a dollar
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 01-17-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling error

Downloads
    Uploads
    Burning Wheel sounds quite interesting. I read the wiki but it leaves me wanting more. Can you give me some more information on the game and your personal experience of it? Maybe recant one of your gaming experiences with it? Pretty please

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast