Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Burning Wheel

Downloads
    Uploads

Question The Burning Wheel

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I had heard some mention about The Burning Wheel and looked into it more. After reading a couple of RPG.net reviews I am under the impression this is a fantasy system rule set. Is this true? The more I try my hand at cooperative storytelling the more I like it. I know Amber is very popular but Amber is set in the Amber setting. I was hoping to find something like The Burning Wheel that is nothing more than mechanics. If dice are required I would like them limited to a D20 and/or some D6's. D&D isn't the easiest thing to play in the car you know?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I am under the impression this is a fantasy system rule set. Is this true?
    Not really, for instance Burning Sands, one of its settings, takes place in Herbert's Dune world. I guess it's possible to play any setting.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had heard it was a settingless rule system that allowed for the creation of anything you could imagine. The fact that it provides fantasy races is somewhat absurd for such a product

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure what you refer to in detail. But even if the system's ambition is to be independent of any setting, it's difficult to give examples of character creation abstract of any setting... Especially since one of the key features of the game seems to be character creation, what they call lifepaths. Fantasy settings are the most popular. One and one gives two, and here you are with fantasy lifepaths. To me it's not weirder than describing lifepaths for Fremen or Bene Gesserit sisterhood.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Burning Wheel looks like a better choice for Ptolus . Definitely glad I checked it out. Seems like the best Fantasy system I've come across to date. Very awesome indeed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what links did you use?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read about it at wikipedia and RPG.net. Also checked out the official website.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its in a Fantasy setting with little to no details about the setting. There are other versions though like Burning Empires. Its dice pool d6s where 5 and 6 are successes and all other dice are TRAITORS! The lifepaths rock and the experience system rocks to (xp for rp). I enjoy reading it more than playing it. The author has a really good handle on how rpgs should work and what it takes to be a good GM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't the dicepool set to 4. The game works with shades. I really like how players have a solid idea of what they can and cannot defeat. Unlike in heavy dice games where some luck can see you through even the most insane battles. David and Goliath was amazing because it was rare. To see that happen game after game for a lucky roller just isn't right in my opinion. I just wish Burning Wheel had more core races

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    To see that happen game after game for a lucky roller just isn't right in my opinion.
    you're telling me. i know this one guy who is paranoid about his dice (nobody touches them, and if someone does, he goes and buys another set...) and he rolls insane with them. he challenged us one time to make characters and have a samurai shodown / street fighter contest against npcs rolled with his dice.... =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    you're telling me. i know this one guy who is paranoid about his dice (nobody touches them, and if someone does, he goes and buys another set...) and he rolls insane with them. he challenged us one time to make characters and have a samurai shodown / street fighter contest against npcs rolled with his dice.... =D
    You toucha my dice, I breaka you face.

Well not reqly. I'm not that nuts about the dice.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I certain dice that are not to be touched, and then I have mounds that anyone can throw or use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they are rare or expensive or particularly "lucky" (but legit), then I prefer nobody touch them. Resort to violence over touching my dice? No. Leave my house forever? Possibly. Fart in your face while your sleeping with your mouth open? That is just gross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that you would even think of such a thing, says volumes about you, mul. ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    We played Burning Wheel weekly for a year and never got the hang of it. By default, it's a fantasy game, but it can be used for other things--Burning Empires is the same game for a science fiction setting.

I'm a develop-as-you-go player, and Burning Wheel required a lot of thought before you play, in the character generation stage. I didn't like it myself, but some folks are quite enamored of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast