Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 326

Thread: Game Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Game Thread

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The game will start sometime in the next few days. In the meantime, here's a link to the teaser video. Clicking this link should open up the movie in another tab/window. (Let me know if it does not!)

    Teaser Video:

    http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/teaser.html
    Last edited by Riftwalker; 01-12-2008 at 10:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Introductory Video:

    http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/intro.html

    You've arrived in Ebernath, the closest city to your hometown, Brier Patch. The journey was uneventful and took four days, but though you didn't hustle, you didn't dally either.

    Ambient Music: http://www.crystalcognition.com/rift.../ebernath.html

    Ebernath is one of the Seven Cities founded by Druids of the Panthic Order in Anderland. Originally a barren landscape not unlike that of Brier Patch, the Druids transformed it into a lush area ripe with vegetation.

    The city itself is laid out in a circular fashion. In the center of Ebernath is a park from which the major streets intersect and extend outward like the spokes of a wheel. The city is generally clean and well-groomed, tall trees and grasses interspersed among the pathways, roads, and buildings. The air is generally clean, containing a myriad of smells: the soft smell of baking bread, the feint metallic odor of molten iron and smoke from a nearby blacksmith, and the hint of sea-breeze upon the air, though it is faint and mixes in with the other smells.

    You see all manner of folks walking by. Most are human, though some are clearly not. Many are dressed in outfits that look exotic and out of place. You recognize the features of some from your time spent buried in the books in the library back home. A seemingly well-to-do night elf walks by, dressed in deep purple formal robes heavily embroidered at the edges in what appears to be some sort of writing, though at this distance you cannot discern what the writing says. Two other night elves--clearly subordinates by their dress and behavior--follow him. In the other direction, you see a small group of halflings closing down their shop for the evening, closing and locking the storefront of their wagon. One pats the other on the back and says something, there's a pause, and then they both throw their heads back in laughter. There also seem to be quite a few sailors walking around.

    You now stand at the center of the city, holding the following note in your hand that you received in the Brier Patch library:



    It is two days before Midsummer, though it is late in the day. The sun will set in less than an hour.

    Do you: find your way to the address on the note? Decide that it is late and find someplace to sleep for the evening? Or do you have other plans?

    DM Note: I could not find the Death's Call spell. Can you point me to the sourcebook where it resides? Also, be sure to choose your spell selection for the day.
    Last edited by Riftwalker; 01-20-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The blue haired boy thinks about what would be the best way to go about things. He has plenty of money so there was no need to try and trick anyone out of it other than the thrill of doing so. What he really needed to do was find out how to sabotage the other people who came for the job. So, he needed some way to find them. He quickly casts prestidigitation and uses it to flavor a marble that he then pops into his mouth and enjoys sucking on while he thinks. The idea of going to the address to insure that he could find it when needed and schedule accordingly when the time came seemed the best course of action. He might even meet up with another person who was out for the job. That would give him an opening to attract the others and insure the downfall of all of them over the next two days. It was not much time, but it was what he had to work with. Knowing better than to walk up to his future employer's home smelling of the road he uses some of the magical energy from prestidigitation to clean himself up. While the night elf strikes his interest and he knows it might be another candidate for the job he also knows that it is unlikely that it would take well to some one following it and he did not need to make that kind of impression this soon. The first place to start to find his way to the address would be to look for street signs and that is exactly what he does.


    ((OOC: Death's call is from complete mage. Page number 101 at the bottom. It is another necromancy spell. Spells for the day are fumble (x2), trip (x2), light, prestidigitation, social invisibility (x3), necrotic cyst. He used prestidigitation in the post so it is no longer available, but will last for the next hour. How well lit is the city? Will, he be able to see at all when night falls? I figure that is something he could figure out without too much trouble and could plan accordingly.))

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Ebernath is home to about 30,000 people (predominantly Lowlander humans) and so isn't so large that you couldn't travel between any two points in the city relatively quickly. A reasonable pace should get you between any two places in the city in less than an hour and a half.

    Due to the constant influx of visitors to the city (it is a major trade center for this part of the world) there are street signs for all the major streets. The area seems to be relatively safe--at least on the major streets, which are well-lit via small luminous orbs that function effectively as immobile Everburning torches, though slightly more pleasing to look at. The street signs are not difficult to find, and locating Panthic Way is easy as it is one of the main streets through Ebernath that crosses the center park.

    The signpost at the city's center you reason to effectively have the address "0 Panthic Way" indicating that Semndon's address is not too far away.

    DM Note: (Ok, Death's Call is fine.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    ((OOC: I assume that since he is at the center that the roads extend both directions and there is either negative numbers or different name going one direction since I did not notice a magnetic direction component to the address. If I am wrong and there are two feasible paths to the address I guess we decided which one he takes at random.))

    Looking at the street signs he begins walking through the appropriate street keeping with the flow of traffic as would be sensible since the path of least resistance is best for the time being. He keeps sucking on his flavored marble making sure to keep it toward the front of his mouth and away from his teeth so as to avoid breaking it or swallowing it. His tongue moves over the glassy orb of low quality obsidian insuring that its taste had a chance to hit all the taste buds. Its nutritional value was nonexistent, but it did much to keep him happy. He keeps and eye out to make sure that he does not pass up the house and can keep track of how many people seem to be dressed in a manner fitting to learned people like himself as they were the ones likely to be applying for the position he was. A though also come across him that he might need to keep an eye out for rats or other small animals that he could use to demonstrate his abilities on. The cyst might kill its victim when shown and that might disqualify him for the position, but an animal that no one cared for would be suitable. The number of sailors around indicated ships that would love magical help getting rid of rats. That would be something he would have to look into for tomorrow. Tonight he was going to find the address and depending on his feelings afterward either lodging or information that might help him prepare for the interview that was coming up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Panthic Way ends at the center of the park in the center of the city, so you have no trouble following the road. After only a few minutes of walking, you arrive at 101 Panthic Way.

    Before you stands a small tower, four floors in height, each floor slightly smaller than the previous. All floors above the ground floor are round, however the ground floor is rectangular in shape and is significantly larger than the floors above ground. The tower is made with a combination of stone and wood and is simultaneously elegant and unassuming. There is a small pathway (perhaps 20 feet) to the door with two large maples at each side that render the front yard fairly shaded.

    Above the door is a wooden engraving of the same stylized 'S' that appears at the bottom of the note. Underneath the 'S' is the following:

    DE WHEDAUS VUR VEDITOA CONFNA FRONEEL

    You instantly recognize the language to be Draconic, and you translate it as: "From darkness and cold comes everything."

    The tower is dark except for illumination from the room at the very top.

    Though you realize you may not know another candidate apprentice if you saw one, no one in particular along the walk seems to arise your suspicion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Having found the location rather quickly and no one who aroused his sense for candidates he decided the best course of action would be to find a place that would have plenty of people to chat up for information on the person he was going to be working with and possibly information on the other candidates. While knocking and asking would likely provide information coming uninvited to someone's house was rude and he would likely be busy with his own preparations for the interviews. No, the best option was to chat up others about him and the candidates. He wished he had prepared soothsaying and brought the components with him, but it did not seem likely to help him while walking and he was not sure how late he would get into town. It helped to get people to talk to him and gave him a friendly ear to whisper in so that others would trust him. He would just have to do this the old fashioned way.

    ((OOC: If he happened to see a place with an open admission policy where people would gather he heads there otherwise he looks for someone to direct him to such a place. At which point we can role play through the questioning or simply make a gather information check for the night of work. Or some combination there of. I assume based on the amount of time it took that there would still be people on the streets who could be questioned about a place to go.))

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    DM Note: I'm totally fine roleplaying interactions to the extent that you wish to and am also ok with glossing over some of the more mundane things like this. I'm trying not to force any particular action on you; rather I'm trying to let you approach the world in a "sandbox" kind of way, doing what you please with your time/resources.

    If you want to play the evening's work as a Gather Information check, roll the check for the scenario below. (I assume you'd rather make your character's rolls, and I'll make the rolls for the rest of the universe.)

    (End DM Note)

    Two blocks further down Panthic Way and two streets over (to the left), you come upon an establishment named Happy Harvester. As you approach, the noise grows into a cacophony of talking, groups of people cheering, and rattling. You realize that the Happy Harvester is part tavern, part gambling establishment, and the rattling is actually one of the games based on a spinning wheel. Virtually everyone inside is human, and you surmise that most everyone here is an actual resident of Ebernath (rather than a visitor), of the working class, and that this must be a favorite after-work haunt of many of them.

    You largely ignore the details of the games, focusing on patrons at the bar or at players returning from gaming tables. You spend 3 hours and 2 sp on a few mugs of ale while chatting up a few people at the bar, asking about Semndon, his past, his call for apprentices, any other candidate apprentices that may be applying, information about them and their abilities, and so on.

    DM Note: Roll a Gather Information check, unless you'd prefer to roleplay it all out.

    Details:
    Time: 1d4 + 1 = 3 hours
    Drinks: 4 cp * 5 = 2 sp

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OOC: Because this is not a stressful situation-no threats or distractions other than the noise of the other people talking- and the information I am looking for should not be hard to obtain I would like to take ten giving me a total of 17. Just in case you were not going to allow this I rolled and got a total of 13. I figured it was a better use of our time to simply use gather information when I am chatting up a whole lot of people instead of just a few. It would take a while to role play out several hours of talking to people. Sorry there are no actions on his part in this post. until I know what he learns I do not know what he would do.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    DM Note: No sweat. For some reason it never occurred to me that taking 10 was an option. My apologies. I'll use the 17 result.

    Over the course of the few hours you engage several people regarding Semndon. While some clearly know more than others, you're able to determine the following information:
    • Semndon has lived in Ebernath for the past several years.
    • He served in the Griffin Company, but has since retired.
    • Many people mentioned that he's a member of the Panthic Order (which you already knew).
    • He has grown more and more reclusive over the past few years.
    • One fellow mentioned seeing a young dwarf enter Semndon's tower two days ago. Another saw a young dwarf wearing blue robes leave Semndon's tower and head towards the center of Ebernath. You assume that they're talking about the same dwarf, but you're not 100% sure. (You haven't seen many dwarves in general while walking around the city and the ones that you have seen were not wearing robes, so it seems likely.)
    • A few people had mentioned that they'd heard that Alenair Luchen, daughter of the prince of Stormhaven, was applying to be Semndon's apprentice. Her father, Baris Luchen, is rumored to have bribed Semndon to accept Alenair over any other apprentices, but no one has been able to confirm such a thing, nor would anyone publicly make that accusation. A husband and wife couple seemed to think that if she were going to be staying anywhere, it would be at Ruby Debonaire, one of the ritzier inns in Ebernath located in the south-western part of town.
    • A man in white robes was also seen in this part of the city yesterday, though it is unconfirmed whether or not he entered Semndon's tower. He looked slightly out of place--taller than average and with strikingly golden-hued shoulder-length hair. Someone reported seeing him enter the Spells and Slumber, an inn in the north-eastern area of the town. Spells and Slumber is apparently an inn catering specifically to wizards.
    • Two members of the Panthic Order were also seen escorting a cloaked figure into Semndon's tower around dusk three evenings before.
    • Several people heard a low-rumbling boom emanate from Semndon's tower during the day about a week ago.
    People generally seemed taken aback at first while talking with you due to your eye and hair color, and weren't surprised when you mentioned that you were a mage. However, the more you talked to any specific person, the more they were able to overcome their apprehension due to your amiability and charm.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Many ideas went through his head. He wanted to assassinate the person who might have bribed her way into the position, but it was almost a guaranteed that she would have her own guards and a hotel of the quality that they seemed to think she would be in would have attendants capable of resisting the magics he had prepared to get past such people. It would be foolish to try anything cloak and dagger with her. He would just have to make sure that misfortune befell her at the time of their interviews. Plus, even with a potential bribe on the table it seemed unlikely that if she was not at least mostly worthy of the training she would not be taken. So, it was unlikely she would be defenseless and if he proved vastly superior he could still get the position without putting himself in danger. He was not overly worried about the dwarf as it was unlikely it was quite as skilled as him and there was no evidence that he had skills uncommon to the rest of its kind. This lowered his priority rating to be worthy of investigation only if there was extra time. The man in white was definitely of interest and since he needed lodging anyway taking up residence in the same inn would be quite convenient. It was getting to be late and it was likely he would have to check in somewhere soon if he wanted to be assured of getting a room. So, after making sure to look over the games to see which ones had the highest pay outs he left to go to the Spells and Slumber. He would keep and eye out for the others that he had an idea of the appearance of, now that he knew what he was looking for.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Most casinos, you reason, are going to only feature games that give the house an advantage, even if it's only a slight one. The games you see at the Happy Harvester lead you to confirm your generalization. Not only do they all give the house an advantage, but they also all use an element of random chance (cards, dice, a spinning wheel) rather than anything based on player's skill. The wagers for the games range from 1 cp to 5 gp.

    DM Note: Unless you're interested in doing some gambling in the casino, I'll forgo descriptions for the individual games. If you are, let me know and we can get into that.

    Based on the directions you received during the Sense Motive process, you're able to find the Spell and Slumber without any problem. It is now 10:00 PM. You come to a building made primarily of wood with a painted sign that reads "Spell and Slumber" beside an image of what appears to be a wizard that has fallen asleep at his desk atop an open book.

    As you walk inside, the blue-eyed woman at the desk tells you about the Spell and Slumber: The Spell and Slumber is an inn catering specifically to wizards. It emphasizes quiet, allowing wizards to study in peace free from noisy distractions. Each room and the common-area has a permanent silence effect on it. Meals are included in the price of 4.5 gp per day. She goes on: "It's a bit more expensive than a normal inn, but our clientèle appreciate their privacy, peace, and quiet. Are you interested in booking a room?"
    Last edited by Riftwalker; 01-23-2008 at 04:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    ((OOC: I was considering finding a game with a high pay out and using the cheat spell and possibly some other magical trickery to get one big win and quickly leave with my winnings. Like putting everything on a single number color combination in roulette and magically rigging the wheel for one spin so that I won and get paid 24 times my bet. Or if there was a game that I could naturally slant my advantage in I could do that as well. Like I used to count cards for 21 when playing. I would make sure to lose every once in a while, but always bet big on what was likely to be a winning hand and small or not at all on losing hands. But the prizes are not big enough to risk getting caught for even if they are not already protected against such things. The fact that they know he is a mage would likely make them concerned about such things if they saw him do it. Also, I try my best to word his speech in a manner that a intelligent smooth talker would, but I do not have a charisma score nearly as high as he does and might not come off as smooth.))

    He smiles and says, "Yes. I will be needing a room for two days at least if I like the deal I get here. If you do not mind I would like to know when the meals are served and what the upcoming ones will be before I make my decision." His tone was polite and cheerful and his body posture remained neutral. He pulled out his bag of marbles which he was also using to hold his money and fished out 9 gold pieces. This was a measured move to insure that it was known that he could pay for information, but would not have to come out and bribe her directly. It also showed that while he was curious he was not handing over his money quite yet and she might be able to screw up the booking if she managed to anger the client. He continued, "I was also going to ask for information on another guest, but if you feel that that would be an invasion of their privacy I would of course refrain. I would not want you to jeopardize yourself unnecessarily." He left his statements open to interpretation so that there was no threat obviously implied, but also a wide open area for her mind to worry and wonder. No mater how she took it he had given himself plenty of room to wiggle out of it before she got too awfully suspicious.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax
    Age
    33
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    DM Note: Takuzei thinks he could pull off some trickery at the casino, though its effectiveness would depend on how-well put-together the plan was. He obviously couldn't waltz in there barking verbal components and making somatic gestures for spells and expect to pull off the subtlety required to get away with it, charisma or not. He also wonders to what extent people have tried schemes like that before and what safeguards are in place to prevent that from happening... As a DM I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but it probably will require some effort, time, and scheming to get away with it.

    The slightly plump woman politely answers your question: "Yes, of course, dear. Meals are served at sunrise and sunset in the rooms. When you book your stay you receive two of these tokens for each day of your stay." She holds up a wooden card with Spell and Slumber lightly engraved and painted on one side. "Outside of each room is a slot. If you place a meal-card in the slot then a meal will be left at your door in exchange for the card the next time meals are served. We find that this system fits our guests' needs, as it ensures they are not unduly disturbed. Most of our guests are mages from all over the world, having come to study with the Panthic Order just down the street. Anyway, I digress... evening meals are usually wonderful!" Her eyes twinkle a bit. "Let's see... tonight we had beefsteak, potatoes and carrots, cabbage, some bread, and some of our lovely spiced tea we import from the Dreaming Isles. It's too bad you've arriving when you are--I'm afraid you've missed it for today. The morning meal also features the tea, usually along with fruit and pastries."

    In response to your inquiry about information on other guests, she frowns a bit. "Who were you interested in, dear?" Before you can answer she leans forward across the table, her voice hushed. "Is it those demon-spawned tieflings? I know the Panthic Order caters to mages from all over, but I just don't trust tieflings..." Her eyes widen a bit, conveying a seriousness and gaging your response.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beckley
    Posts
    435
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Takuzei flashes a smile and says, "Well, they are not the ones I was looking for, but I do understand your mistrust in them. If I come across any suspicious behavior by them I would of course report it to you all so that you might deal with it however you saw fit, but I would greatly helped in my attempts to assist you in this matter if you could tell me about the group you speak of. Their actions and locations would be the most helpful information." He did his best to seem calm and level headed about the situation and to avoid either agreeing that they were not to be trusted or taking up their defense. He attempted to word it so that it could be taken as an attempt to allay the concerns of a worried attendant or as an attempt to insure that if they were up to anything mischievous that they would be caught. His natural charm would assist in making sure that it would be taken in the most favorable way instead of the least. Information had always been his greatest asset and if these people were willing to give it up easily he was happy to have it.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Game Thread
    By Anaesthesia in forum Revenge of the Dragon
    Replies: 1490
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
  2. Game Thread
    By The Wandering Bard in forum Chains Of the Muse
    Replies: 1216
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
  3. D&D Nostalgia
    By Moritz in forum Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
  4. Looking for Shadowrun 4e game to join in Seattle WA
    By ryanstone in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •