Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: New fodder!

Downloads
    Uploads

New fodder!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi, I'm new here and to D&D, et al. I grew up playing video games, MMORPGs, and some not-quite-d&d games like Hero Quest. I'm an IT guy with some time on my hands and I thought I'd get into some real gaming.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands and my web browser on about D&D, but it's time to start playing! Unfortunately, most of my friends aren't interested. I've been getting a lot of raised eyebrows followed by "You want to play THAT?? I knew you were a geek, but GEEZ!!" I managed to blackmail a few of them into coming over this Saturday to try it out. I'm going to have to DM for and teach these people who don't seem thrilled about the idea in the first place, and I've never even played! (Have I gotten myself into something bad?)

Anyways, I joined this forum because I figured whether or not my friends see the light and love the game, I can meet some people here that are already into it and can teach me a thing or two.

As you can probably tell, I'm most interested in D&D, but I'm not married to it. I figured that'd be a good place to start.

OK, that's enough for now. Nice to meet you!

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome aboard, Dan. D&D is great, I've been playing since '79 and still can't get enough. Jump on the boards with any questions you have, we would be glad to help! Make sure to check out the campaign invitations and player registry to find some local gamers.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why oh why can't people be closer to me?

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

1 down...

Well, I DM'ed my first D&D game yesterday (first time playing D&D for myself and my players) and it went really well. I fouled up more rules than I can count, but everyone had fun and left happy (even the skeptics). They all even said they'd be back next time! I didn't want to spend much time looking up rules and grinding the game to a halt, so I made a few things up and everything worked out OK. I'll review the rules I wasn't sure of before the next game.

I'm sure I'll be posting for advice soon. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know its late but welcome to the forums. This is an amazing resource for veterans and those new to RP'ing. I'm very interested what kind of adventure you did have. Could you go over some of the highlights?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first hour or so consisted of us going over the basics of the D&D rules and the character sheets. Like I said, none of us had ever played, so I ran a short, simple adventure with a little of each type of encounter. One trapped door (which they set off) and a few imprisoned townsfolk (who all were saved). Next time, since they're familiar with the game now, I'll take them through the process of creating their own characters and I'll probably run "Scourge of the Howling Horde." Any opinions on this as an adventure for a table full of beginners?

One issue running this game was that I only had three players and nobody wanted to play the cleric (we had a fighter, rogue, and sorcerer), so I gave everyone a Potion of Cure Light Wounds and toned down the combat encounters slightly. That seemed to compensate enough, though the rogue came close to death more than once.

Also, my group isn't at all interested in roleplaying encounters, but I'm hoping once they're more comfortable with the rest of the rules, they'll ease into it a bit.

The atmosphere at the table was pretty laid back once we got into the game. It's hard to have a very serious game when one player names his sorcerer Mr. Bill. Part of me would like to keep the table serious while I'm teaching the rules so I know it's sinking in, but having the players joke around and seeing them have fun assured me that I was doing a decent job as DM. Overall, it was a great time and I'm really looking forward to our next session.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the end if your players are only interested in combat there are probably much better systems suited to combat only than D&D is. D&D is overly complicated if your generally running combat only games. I very much hope your players start to feel more comfortable and become more interested in RP'ing. The biggest draw of RP to me is getting to be somebody else for X hours a week. Not that being me sucks but I do admit I don't have psionic powers, the ability to rain fire from the skies, and it has been quite some time since I rescued a princess

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fun is the object. The point be damned the rules be damned. If you and your friends had fun it was a successful session.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn