Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

D&D 4E SRD and OGL
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4E SRD and OGL

Downloads
    Uploads

Post [AD&D] 4E SRD and OGL

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

4E SRD and OGL

Wizards of the Coast has developed a new, two-phased release structure for the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition System Reference Document (SRD) and Open Gaming License (OGL)... (More)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, $5,000.00.

I wonder how many independent publishers will bite...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwalker View Post
    Wow, $5,000.00.

I wonder how many independent publishers will bite...
    Or be bitten.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Touche

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd presume that they'd definitely want to put out more than one supplement in the first six months if they are going to sink $5k into a license that will be free for everyone after that. It also gives them a chance to establish their supplements before anyone else does. But, $5000 would certainly take a bite out of the profit margin.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The major publishers will probably bite though. Green Ronin, Goodman Games, Paizo, Sword & Sorcery...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To rephrase the article, "Sure, we'll give up our lead in releasing follow-on products for the game we developed ... for five grand".
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's just more GREED. Come now ladies and gentlemen, we all know the majors will not even blink about 5k even if it will be free months later. Just another fine example of the hungry corporate giant praying on members of its own family. Hey. for 5k I'll let you have some books that haven't been published yet, will certainly have hundreds of pages of updates and errata before the release, so while your trying to develope your product to be compatible with ours, you'll actually be losing money waiting on us to publish the next fix or change before our official release, and if your product does not meet our strict guidelines upon it's publication, should your company not have gone bankrupt trying to keep up with our changes, we will probably promptly sue you for every penny of your net worth. That's how it all is begining to read to me. No one, and I mean no one can cite an action in game that hasn't already had an outcome published or mechanic. We have been told time and time again that we can use what what we want, throw out what we don't or make up our own rules, it says so in almost every book I already own, and I almost have them all now, and now it sounds like someone is trying to tell me that isn't the way it will work anymore. Have I been cheated and lied to like countless thousands others? Where is the epic spell caster to throw the hell ball at WoTC when we really need them to the most.
    Check for traps always. Move silently all the time and know when to run regardless of what the rest of the party is doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 4th Edition OGL

Very interesting news over at EN World about the 4th edition SRD and OGL.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=215976

To summarize, there will be no new OGL product until Jan 1, 2009 unless companies pay $5000 to WOTC.

Companies who do pay $5000 can start releasing products in August of this year and will have five months of relatively little competition.

Necromancer (and perhaps Paizo) have already indicated they are likely to take advantage of this. I'm sure more announcements will follow shortly.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    After all the money these other companies have raked in off the 3.x OGL, they would be stupid not to jump on the WoTC gravy train. Really, 5k is chump change if you have a good product.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    After all the money these other companies have raked in off the 3.x OGL, they would be stupid not to jump on the WoTC gravy train. Really, 5k is chump change if you have a good product.
    Any idea how much business one of these publishers does? As in gross / net per year? It isn't clear to me whether $5,000 is a large investment or whether it's simply in the noise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwalker View Post
    Any idea how much business one of these publishers does? As in gross / net per year? It isn't clear to me whether $5,000 is a large investment or whether it's simply in the noise.
    Well, almost no actual numbers are known but ... we can make some educated guesses.

For Expeditious Retreat Press which consists of two people (plus the occassional freelancer) who work out of their home, $5000 is almost certainly a big deal.

For Paizo, with their own offices and staff, its basically change.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that it will only hurt the small companies and independent writers. It will give those who pay for it (large 3rd party companies) time to corner the market on 4e OGL material.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Goodman Games, makers of the Dungeon Crawl Classics line, has confirmed they are taking advantage of the first tier OGL deal.

You can read it here:
    http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/...?p=15881#15881

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    I knew Goodman Games would jump on board. Any news yet about Green Ronin or Malhavoc Press?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast