Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Abba Sanctuary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Abba Sanctuary

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A bit of history. Back in the dark ages of the late 70s my late wife wrote a Dungeon called "Abba Sanctuary". Since that time "The House" as it has become known has been a staple of my game.

However it has become long of tooth. Very long of tooth. The key was sketchy, and lacking many (heck all) of the modern refinements. Most monster stats had not been updated since the Zero edition of D&D.

I just finished a long overdue and complete update of the entire thing. It now weights in at 158 pages. There is a far more complete back story and it is fully compatible to my current game.

The key? Sorry, I have to keep some secrets. I don't put things out where my players might find them. However, I will include the prologue.

Abba Sanctuary

Or: The House of that Crazy old Wizard.

Legend of the House

Seventy three thousand years ago the world was in chaos. The population was still on the rebound from the holocaust and the elves had not yet recovered. Onto the shore of Anadorlintoro came a band of Humans and their god Avix the Kite. The Humans put up temples to their bloody god and subjugated the people into a nation.

The leaders of these people called themselves the Abbas. Over the years they built themselves a house, then a palace and as it grew a complex. This became known as Abba Sanctuary.

The House protected the Abbas, often from the wrath of those they screwed or the consequences of their behavior. As a family went the Abbas had more than their share of the vile, the freaks, and weirdos and less than their share of the saints.

Then the family turned away from Avix. They closed the sacred aviary and the Temple. Avix cursed them and the lady gave birth to a Phoenix destined to destroy the Family. Avix did not realize what he had done. Abba Cadabba, later known the world over by the name he took, Abba Eecreeana never forgot. Avix is the forgotten one and the Abbas are remembered and revered, not for what they were, but for what they now are.

But the House? Eecreeana did not love it. It stood abandoned, or rather, that would have been a preferable fate. Squatters moved in and pretenders moved in. The Kingdom of Janorda or those that used the name came and went. The magic within the House was strong. The things done there also left strong impressions. Periodically Eecreeana had to clean the place out. He made caretakers to watch the House. Some worked well. Others were corrupted by the forces within the House itself.

Then came the seven thousand year madness. Eecreeana retreated into the House, nurtured it, let it grow wild beyond the reason he lacked. The very nature of the House changed from a queer place to one that seethed with mischief, and Eecreeana in madness aided that. His researches into the planes and dimensions twisted and extended the House even further.

By the time Abba Eecreeana had been cycled back into sanity the damage was irreversible. The House was spoken of in fear and quiet whispers as a place to gain great power, a place to find death, and worse a place to find madness.

Thus it stands today. Abba Sanctuary stands open to those brave, or foolish, enough to seek power within it's walls.

--------------------

It's DONE, the thing is at last DONE! Anyone that wants to play in it? Well I am looking for players.
    Last edited by tesral; 01-04-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this going to be an online campaign or are you hosting this locally? Have you considered posting this in the Campaign Invitations forum? You'd probably get a lot more responses. I think a lot of people come here to look through the registry and campaign invitations and completely ignore the other sections/features of the forum.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my local game, or a small part of it. Sure, I'll add the prologue to my invitation thread.

Sigh, I don't do on line games any more. I've been jilted too many times by that unfaithful wench.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ever thought about joining a community where people pay money to be there? Klooge is the all in one internet client for such things. Has an established community of gamers and has been around since 2001. Anybody who wants to play as a player needs a license and last time I checked that was $15 or $30. When I start my online gaming that is where I will be running my games. Not to mention I'll be running several adventures before hand. I wont get into anything too hard core (long term campaign for instance) until I've got a group of proven reliable online gamers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Ever thought about joining a community where people pay money to be there?

I have actually, and years ago made the decision that I would not be party to either charging for or being charged to play any game.

I won't be paid, and I won't pay. Money sets up expectations I don't care to deal with. The same reason I don't take money for my computer work. I can tell a disagreeable person to walk. I owe them nothing, they owe me nothing.

I'm not saying it is wrong or unethical. I agree that someone paying for the privilege will certainly make an effort to take advantage of what they pay for. However, it's not for me.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well said and fair enough. I'm hoping I get lucky enough to come across those who are dedicated, as in face-to-face game schedules, early on and don't have to wait a long time to find a dependable bunch.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Title Page:

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is very awesome art. Did you do that yourself?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    That is very awesome art. Did you do that yourself?
    Oh heavens no, it would require that I draw. I am good at putting the elements together. I have gigs of clip art.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty sweet. I need to start browsing the web for some quality pen and paper content to make banners with. Any places in particular that you would recommend for clip art? I can't seem to dig up a quality sight with animated images that aren't of email, puppies, or other non gaming things.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Animated clip art, no. I hunt elfwood, take recommendations, I generally keep my ear to the ground. Hunting art is a process I call "Kissing frogs" As in "You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the handsome prince." Sturgeon's Law applies in spades.

Once in a while I need something specific enough that I pay to have it made. For web graphic, I can generally make my own. I'm not totally helpless at it.

Finding good artists is worse than finding players.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best art is usually promo art and, as far as the internet is concerned, is generally public domain for stuff like banners.