Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What are your favorite "dark future" games or systems?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • World of Darkness

30 32.61%
  • Cthulhutech, GURPS Cthulhupunk, or other Cthulhoid future

11 11.96%
  • Shadowrun

33 35.87%
  • Cyberpunk

18 19.57%
  • Other "cyberpunk" game (please explain below)

4 4.35%
  • Paranoia

13 14.13%
  • SLA Industries

7 7.61%
  • Other (please explain below)

30 32.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Dark Future Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well, first I have to say it was tough to decide on the poll between SR and WoD. While I love both, I classify them as WoD - present time gothic with mystical elements. SR4 is the dark future with cyberpunk, magic and various races blended.

The reason I like both is the rules are simple, the world is extensive and it doesn't have classes. You can write your background first and then build the character to match. The setting to me is just that a setting and a set of guidelines that can be augmented. I've played cyberpunk and enjoyed it but I didn't like the limitations of its world. I like magic and whatnot. However, cyberpunk had elements not found in SR, most notably rockerboys so I added to my SR game with conversions. Basically, I don't let the system limit my plots or the PCs backgrounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree on not having a system with too many limitations. I like how SR implemented magic into the dark future setting. I still think it can be pulled off including the old normal fantasy races into a future world, which is what I did with Chaos their true names are simply alien though. The eldrynn (elves) come from another planet and they were the first alien race encountered by humans. I love to mix that genre of fantasy and sci-fi where people walk around with blades and cloaks still, yet they have a warhog blaster rifle strapped to their back.

I think it is really up to the storyteller or game master to pull off that dark mood to a game though. The books backstory and artwork can set the visual inspiration of a dreary and gothic ambiance. Then the GM can really establish that atmosphere with the use of music and their dialogue. So I can still see elves and dwarves and all that in a dark setting, as long as you do not think of all elves as happy tree-huggers. I never have.

I think classes in systems are not always necessary, but I use them as a job, it defines what type of training your character grew up in. Then certain abilities are allowed to be gained by certain classes for the first 12 levels of play. After which you are free to begin forming your own character style however you wish, choosing your own abilities from certain tiers. When I made Chaos I was always more af a fan of dark fantasy, but I felt that there were too many games out there that were fantasy. I mean what has D&D not covered already? Of course this was 12 years ago, so there are plenty of sci-fi games out now.

Alpha Omega is a very good looking book and when I found out that they have races that appear like demons and angels I cringed at some of the similarities. The writing and the artwork of my book was all created by me for the first addition. Now that I have gotten it out there I have picked up many very talented artists and other writers that would love to help for the second edition, so I am looking forward and very excited about second edition. For the first one I wanted the dark, mysterious, spray paint, ad street punk type of appeal to the look. Now that I have more talented artists I am going for the complete dark and gothic look, full color, and all mature content.

The module Pray for Dawn has a taste of the new look which is good. Gore, nudity, harsh language, drugs, it's just really dark and insane but I figured that was the crowd I wanted to appeal to and why not? This world is sick and twisted, I might as well have a game that is going to include all these horrifying enemies that you actually get to blow away. Sorry I got iff topic and went on a rant about these things but yea, I like Shadow run. I always thought it would be cooler if you could go to other worlds. So thats what I did.

"Burn the bodies of the fallen, so they do not rise again against you." -Demon Hunter proverb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrayForDawnBannerReleasedsmall.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	3279  
    Last edited by AzgrymnThePale; 03-28-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blond Gamer Girl View Post
    Well, first I have to say it was tough to decide on the poll between SR and WoD. While I love both, I classify them as WoD - present time gothic with mystical elements. SR4 is the dark future with cyberpunk, magic and various races blended.

The reason I like both is the rules are simple, the world is extensive and it doesn't have classes. You can write your background first and then build the character to match. The setting to me is just that a setting and a set of guidelines that can be augmented. I've played cyberpunk and enjoyed it but I didn't like the limitations of its world. I like magic and whatnot. However, cyberpunk had elements not found in SR, most notably rockerboys so I added to my SR game with conversions. Basically, I don't let the system limit my plots or the PCs backgrounds.
    Pick up the old Shadowrun 1e book called Shadowbeat. It gave info on how to play a Rocker, Reporter and other media types as well as hot bands, sports, trideo shows etc. Rocker was a standard Archtype in the 1e core book.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that. I'll check it out. As to aliens in SR4, I have that but not the stereotype. In another game, I created an entire sect of sea elves. Since I write, I don't like to limit my creativity because "its not in the book."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that I've read the SR4 20th Ann. ed... I'd be more into playing it as is..But part of me would want to convert it to Cyberspace/RM2 or Spacemaster2/RM2/Cyberspace based game. Unlike past editions the art & presentation really pulls you into the setting ( for SR4/20th ed).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aliens Adventure Game was a lot of fun.

It's no really horror, but it's dark: Twilight: 2000.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chaos 6010 all the way. Even though I only get to play once a week, my addiction is barely held in check.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I choose other for Chaos 6010 A.D. Options are limitless and I've been playing it and running it for over 10 years. The mechanics are perfect in my opinion and the ability to customize everything and really develop a great story with the help of many GM assistant tables is great. Even those who are not great at story telling can throw a good game with the help of total randomization from encounter tables and mission makers. Those who really know how to game master can run games on the fly and totally develop a great campaign around simple ideas that are given in the core rulebook. Another thing is that you can buy the core rulebook and that is all you really need.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SLA Industries is my #1 favourite from SR (2ed), CP2020 & SLA
    The glacial slowness on official sources is it's major downfall imo ..
    Momic 0.1 is seriously dark .. and grisly.

So unfortunately I've played far more SR & CP than SLA

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567