Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What are your favorite "dark future" games or systems?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • World of Darkness

30 32.97%
  • Cthulhutech, GURPS Cthulhupunk, or other Cthulhoid future

11 12.09%
  • Shadowrun

32 35.16%
  • Cyberpunk

17 18.68%
  • Other "cyberpunk" game (please explain below)

4 4.40%
  • Paranoia

13 14.29%
  • SLA Industries

6 6.59%
  • Other (please explain below)

30 32.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Dark Future Games

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Concerning Alpha Omega... my brother & I might be getting into that shortly. If so it'll be after I run him in a short solo adventure in RIFTS. The game looks awsome , but not sure of the rules yet. If I end up playing in AO I think I'll scrap my own Cyberpunk & P-A settings as I'm really liking what I'm seeing in AO.

Though I like the setting for Shadowrun I have a hard time seeing as a true dark future game. Magic isn't the issue with me as I like how AO seems to work it & it's mutated or genetically engineered creatures. It's the Elves & such that slams it into the Sci-fantasy. My other big issue with SR is the dice pools & archtypes. Though I had the same gripe at first with CP 2020 the later variants to the core 'roles' & the addition of alternate skill packages based on backgrounds was cool. Now if they hadn't monkeyed it up with CP3 I'd be still a fan.

If I end up not liking the rules for AO I'll just use Cyberspace/Spacemaster2 & RMx/C rules for the setting.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    I am suprised RIFTS wasn't listed as a option. I like RIFTS alot. All though I see it more as a Sci-Fantasy-Horror game than a true dark future game. I guess I can say the same for AO but AO is far grittier. Sans the magic it could easily be seen as a Dark Future game. But RIFTS will still always be a favorite of mine. I don't understand the hate I see it get's. I understand the powergamer/munchkin issues but that can be delt with if a good GM runs it. If you don't like a OCC or RCC or even MDC (like I don't) you can not allow it. You can run it with tons of Role play you just have to have players willing to play that way. But RIFTS is a combat junkies wet dream & I have no problem with that.

Another P-A/Dark Future game not really discussed is Twilight 2000 or it's latest incarnation Twilight 2013 (which I have yet to play). I prefered T:2000 2e as I liked the expanded character options, something T:2013 seems to have expanded on. But I prefered how I could create a USMC sniper or USN Seal or British SAS trooper in T:2000 2e. It still can be done in T:2013 but it's more generic.
    Last edited by Lucifer_Draconus; 01-06-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer_Draconus View Post
    Though I like the setting for Shadowrun I have a hard time seeing as a true dark future game.
    You never ran into the Universal Brotherhood did you... Talk about a mind **** if you didn't know the plot going in. Also the acid rain and red smog alerts in Seattle. Its very dark when you read the fiction. Not all the fiction but a good chunk of it. Oh and lets not forget Mr Darc.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll have to read more of the fiction. Having Elves 'n such always got in the way of seeing it as a serious Dark Future setting. But you take away the magic & Elves it does fit more into my vision of DF.I guess it's how you take it.. I love the setting , but I tend to be purist when it comes to Cyberpunk dystopian futures. I think some of the art always got to me exspecially Jeff L's art & Baxa's art. But the same could be said about Cyberpunk 2020's art , it could be cheesy at times & ruin the mood. Don't get me on CP's lame generic maps in Night City.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kult was a lot of fun, though it was set in that weird modern near future setting that so many games are fond of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my question, where's the Fallout love? No I am not talking about the monstrosity that is Fallout 3, I am talking about actual Fallout. Nobody appreciates the first two Fallout games or the PnP game for it? Come on now.... also worth mentioning, Starship Troopers, always a good one, pretty dark too. Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there. Three good settings with no representation, most notably Fallout.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer_Draconus View Post
    I'll have to read more of the fiction. Having Elves 'n such always got in the way of seeing it as a serious Dark Future setting. But you take away the magic & Elves it does fit more into my vision of DF.I guess it's how you take it.. I love the setting , but I tend to be purist when it comes to Cyberpunk dystopian futures. I think some of the art always got to me exspecially Jeff L's art & Baxa's art. But the same could be said about Cyberpunk 2020's art , it could be cheesy at times & ruin the mood. Don't get me on CP's lame generic maps in Night City.
    /nod I recommend looking at 2E. In Shadowrun, magic goes in cycles, seeing how the game is set X years in the future always the magic elements have become more and more common with each edition. 2e still had a beat up on the mage attitude. As far as the elves go they are immortal (at leased some of them) they just blended in until the magic came back. They try to have a quasi-scientific reason for everything... some of it is great, some is not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicalMick View Post
    Here's my question, where's the Fallout love? No I am not talking about the monstrosity that is Fallout 3, I am talking about actual Fallout. Nobody appreciates the first two Fallout games or the PnP game for it? Come on now.... also worth mentioning, Starship Troopers, always a good one, pretty dark too. Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there. Three good settings with no representation, most notably Fallout.
    I like fallout, infact I've been playing through the first one again The PnP was ok but I always just ended up using GURPS.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 06-19-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there.
    There's still hope, there's still faith, and both are mighty powerful forces (and themes). For the 'Verse to qualify as 'dark future', I'd think those two elements would have to be faded(-ing) influences.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    There's still hope, there's still faith, and both are mighty powerful forces (and themes). For the 'Verse to qualify as 'dark future', I'd think those two elements would have to be faded(-ing) influences.
    You have evil government programs to create psychic assassins, you have guys walking around executing people by making their brains melt, you have men who have gone insane and now rape and eat innocent travelers. Add that to your plethora of planets will life threatening illnesses, and almost-slavery all about. The common person oppressed by a government that took control simply by killing everyone who stood up against them... I would call that a pretty dark future.
    A Boy And His Dog, a rather kinky tale of survival.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have evil government programs to create psychic assassins, you have guys walking around executing people by making their brains melt, you have men who have gone insane and now rape and eat innocent travelers. Add that to your plethora of planets will life threatening illnesses, and almost-slavery all about. The common person oppressed by a government that took control simply by killing everyone who stood up against them... I would call that a pretty dark future.
    Dark elements exist, sure, but dark's not really the main theme of the franchise. It's about people being people, no matter how far into the future we go, or how shiny the new technology is. Maybe it's an argument that we live in a dark present, though I don't consider our real-world situation to be all that dark.

(I'd wager there's an existential question on the state of Reavers, as debated in "Bushwhacked" and furthered in Serenity, but it's an aside. If anything qualified the Verse for a dark future status, it'd be the existence of inhuman Reavers.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Conspiracy also. For the time, it was a fascinating sci-fi dark future (as opposed to Shadowrun's techno-fantasy setting) with a very usable set of source materials. Some other posters have pointed out the short comings of the setting, which is true beyond a doubt.

My problem with Shadowrun isn't really the setting so much as the GM I played with early on. He had a bad case of elf-worship, so every Elf was a Superman ... and I hate Superman.
    -- muhahahaha

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorites are Cyberpunk 2020 and Dark Conspiracy. I also enjoyed Gamma World when I was a kid and wouldn't mind playing some version of it again one day. Though I hate the system, I had a lot of fun playing Shadowrun back in The Day and have about a dozen or so books from the line, which I use mostly as reference for other systems.

(I'm new here, so I hope I'm not disrupting anything by replying. Thanks!)

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ArchVillain View Post
    I'm going with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Conspiracy also. For the time, it was a fascinating sci-fi dark future... with a very usable set of source materials. Some posters have pointed out the shortcomings of the setting, which is true beyond a doubt.
    Again, I'm new so I apologize if I'm out of line. I also apologize for pimping my site so soon, but the site specializes in campaign settings and materials, and Dark Conspiracy is the most developed campaign and game I have online right now. Metrodome, the name of the cityscape, is a domed city; basically the entire campaign is set within that dome.

I am single, live alone in the middle of nowhere, and work for myself. I am working with tabletop RPG stuff literally all day long and I'd love to assemble a group to play Dark Conspiracy online. If you're interested, contact me and we'll try to figure it out. This invite is for everyone, of course!

(Again, sorry to pimp so soon, but I didn't include a link or anything. Just contact me!)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchVillain View Post
    My problem with Shadowrun isn't really the setting...
    My problem is the system, but I'm talking about the version I played which is easily 15-20 years old. I am not familiar with any recent editions. However, I had a great time playing Shadowrun the two or three times I did. There are some incredibly detailed supplements within the line which I use as reference for Dark Conspiracy, Cyberpunk, and other dark future games.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always loved Shadowrun. It was my second RPG after AD&D. I really like the system, even if it can get unwieldy at times.
    I have also recently started playing Dark Heresy (the Warhammer 40,000 RPG) and I really am enjoying it. The setting is excellent, and the game can be seriously dark and brutal at times.
    'Cuz I've been gamin' and rollin' so long, that even the late Gary thinks my mind is gone...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/anarkitty
    http://forum.emperorschildren.net/viewtopic.php?t=2862

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chaos 6010 A.D. of course. For over 12 years we have been playing it and expanding it. A great dark future/ horror/ survival. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index....turers_id=3578 I don't really need another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahahahahaha! Nice.

What were some of your inspirations or similar games you enjoy? I may have to check it out. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually some of the greats you mentioned earlier were my favorites as well shadowrun, cyberpunk, I loved necromunda even though that was a miniature battle game, still very inspirational for sure. Yes if u liked those you will certainly like Chaos 6010. As well I run it all the time would be happy to put anyone interested into a crew.
    Last edited by AzgrymnThePale; 03-26-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast