Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What are your favorite "dark future" games or systems?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • World of Darkness

30 32.61%
  • Cthulhutech, GURPS Cthulhupunk, or other Cthulhoid future

11 11.96%
  • Shadowrun

33 35.87%
  • Cyberpunk

18 19.57%
  • Other "cyberpunk" game (please explain below)

4 4.35%
  • Paranoia

13 14.13%
  • SLA Industries

7 7.61%
  • Other (please explain below)

30 32.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Dark Future Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    oooo thems fighting words, I like the unisystem and all but I'll stick to my dicepools over 1d10
    I like both oWoD and Unisystem for their own reasons. I do think I like a lot of the ways Unisystem flows over WoD, especially Cinematic Unisystem, but oWoD is still a great game and still welcome at my table...mainly in the form of Mage: The Ascension.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I like both oWoD and Unisystem for their own reasons. I do think I like a lot of the ways Unisystem flows over WoD, especially Cinematic Unisystem, but oWoD is still a great game and still welcome at my table...mainly in the form of Mage: The Ascension.
    TBH, I'm not sure I even remember what the differences are from the old to the new WoD rules. I really jumped into it around Exalted. I have vague recollections of playing V:TM but I was playing, not GMing, so the rules weren't that important.

I do prefer Uni because it's easier for me personally to wing it. But, like I said, we have really enjoyed Scion, so it ain't all bad.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by darelf View Post
    TBH, I'm not sure I even remember what the differences are from the old to the new WoD rules. I really jumped into it around Exalted. I have vague recollections of playing V:TM but I was playing, not GMing, so the rules weren't that important.

I do prefer Uni because it's easier for me personally to wing it. But, like I said, we have really enjoyed Scion, so it ain't all bad.
    oWOD combat

attribute+attack skill vs attribute+dodge (assuming the guy wants to dodge)
    dodge is TN 6, attack TN is based on the weapon used see chart in book
    count successes, if hit move on
    success+damage dice vs TN 6
    roll soak vs TN 6
    apply any left over damage

nWOD combat

attribute+ attack skill + weapon - defense - armor vs TN 8
    apply damage.

So basically the big difference between Uni and nWOD is 1d10 vs dice pool. Or if your using MET nWOD almost nothing because they use a card pull system where the values are = 1d10.

[edit] i feel like i kind of did oWOD an injustice there because combat is the part they really made faster with the changes the rest of the game had auto-successes and just attribute+skill vs TN tests which moved it along really quick and nWOD didn't speed those parts up at all (and in some cases slowed them down a bit, no auto-successes)
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 07-24-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the things I liked about Cyberpunk 2020 that added a very cool, unique element to the combat: There's no dodging bullets.

Your reflex stat and your dodge skill were useless against being shot at. The enemy just has to beat the difficulty number. So, when somebody pulls out a gun, everybody runs for cover, even the big, tough combat-oriented characters. In 2020, cover is your friend.
    Exactly, combat is dangerous to everyone and everyone is very capable of combat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like Unknown Armies. Simple and flexible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the things I liked about Cyberpunk 2020 that added a very cool, unique element to the combat: There's no dodging bullets.

Your reflex stat and your dodge skill were useless against being shot at. The enemy just has to beat the difficulty number. So, when somebody pulls out a gun, everybody runs for cover, even the big, tough combat-oriented characters. In 2020, cover is your friend.

Which is great if you're looking for something a little closer to reality. On the other hand, if you're trying to keep thing cinematic . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Which is great if you're looking for something a little closer to reality. On the other hand, if you're trying to keep thing cinematic . . .
    The problem is most people don't really understand what the dice system is attempting to emulate. If you observe at how the d20 system looks and what it is supposed to do. From what I understand the system doesn't give a fixed number of attacks per round, it provides the number of attacks which have a chance to do damage. The more attacks the more opportunities that have a chance of doing damage. We've all been in hit and been hit but not hard enough to hurt.

The d20 system allows for cinematic but it's not obvious.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, that's one of the things that makes Cyberpunk what it is. You don't try the Rambo-style cinematic gusto in a Cyberpunk game. That kind of stuff gets you killed...fast.

Cyberpunk characters have a very real sense of their own mortality. I had a character get stabbed in the gut with a knife. As the attacker was running away, the rest of the party was applying pressure to the wound while they waited for the ambulance to show up...

One of the best pieces of basic equipment you can get in Cyberpunk is the Med-Alert Card. A little plastic card that has a button you can press to alert the nearest hospital to come get you.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if this is the explanation why almost no cyberpunk novel have been made into movies...
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted other, meaning Dark Heresy. The fluff and system looks great.

I am desperately looking for a Dark Heresy campaign in my area by the way. I'm a huge 40k fan and the rulebook for this game looks amazing. If anyone has a game or knows of one please contact me!
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kult was a game that had a great concept. Very sim to the Hellrasier movies. But the rules, Gods! What a load of tripe.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow77 View Post
    But the rules, Gods! What a load of tripe.
    That could be said of a lot of pre 2000 small press games. The quality of some of the small press these days is astounding (Burning Wheel, SOTC, etc)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    WoD as it's the only 'Horror' RPG I've played.

Cyberspace (ICE) : A cyberpunk RPG using a rules-light version of ICE's Spacemaster2 rules. The default setting is ok but the gangs are basically 'Warriors' rejects compared to Cyberpunk 2020's . Although their New Hitler Youth gang is a good representation of how a Nazis Bonehead street gang would be... now if they'd have got the others done right . I love the rules though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alternity's Dark Matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dark Conspiracy.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast