Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Super Hero RPG's (In General)

Downloads
    Uploads

hi guys

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    great discussion!
    i'm a new member that signed up tonight, and i've been role playing super heroes since i was 17 years old. (dating myself here.) I've played all three marvel games (still using the diceless system, with a viable dice variant.)
    both dc game (and blood of heroes), champions, tried golden age sentinels and mutants and masterminds (and found that d20 is a lil restrictive for the supers genre)

my love of supers stem from growing up on them (i mean literally, i was reading shang chi, master of kung fu at 3..), and found myself relating more to heroics than fantasy...

i've been rp'ing and gm'img my campaign now for 22 years, and even though i play d&d, i'm always stoked when i get a chance to bust out stormknight to crack the head of some evil doer..

looking forward to chatting you guys more!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, what I have always loved about the superhero genre of rpg is that you can choose to either play it over the top or as realistic as you want and both decisions can still deliver a satisfying result (granted, depending upon who's running the game). Sometimes you get both choices in the same campaign and both will work with each other when the going gets tough, too.

It's also a nice change of pace. While other genres focus on what you can accumulate by the destruction of whatever you come across, superhero games (in general) focus on your character either fitting into society or choosing to be responsible about things...all the while being placed in situations where you get to protect people. Not a bad goal for any game, really. It also can be fun to test morality during the game like you quite can't do in other genres from the point-of-view that superhero rpgs can. Questions like "is there a god / God" and "why do I do what I do" and "have I been changed by destiny to be something more, like reshape humanity in my own image" can set an entire campaign on fire, opening new venues to explore for the players.

In a superhero rpg finding your place in the world can have repercussions that never come into play in other games. What you choose to do and how you do it can flavor the campaign and either terrify or challenge your GM. That and a bag of chips should get you experience to continue doing it.

Superheroes remain my favorite rpg genre because of what it can mean to a developing youngster and exploring existence for older folk on several levels (or not, depending if the players want a deep story or if the GM just wants to complicate matters for your character rather than tell a deep story).

If you haven't tried this philosophy with superhero rpgs, or if you haven't even thought of it...I highly recommend to give it try. You might like it. If anything, there's nothing like pretending to be something you aren't to an even greater degree.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    What is so alluring about Super Hero RPG's? I've never actually played one and honestly I really haven't looked into them... at all. Just wondering if they all generally are like X-Men (teams of gifted good guys fighting gifted bad guys) or if there is more too it than that? Just in general, what makes a super hero RPG so awesome to you?
    I've been running a Marvel Super Heroes Campaign using my homebrew FASERIP system every Sunday at 2pm since 1984 and it is still going strong. One thing that a super hero RPG has built-in better than any other RPG world is grudges. The heroes and villains each have well known histories that allow for limitless story ideas and potential for epic conflict. Huge roleplaying potential and the coolest battles ever. Enormous fun.
    Last edited by spidey; 05-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, superhero gaming takes a much different mindset for a player than would your typical, run-of-the-mill fantasy game. Anyone can create Captain Do-Anything Man...but to think out what your abilities, powers and origins are are akin to creating a fantasy character but approaching it from a different angle.

Most of the more stable of gamers I've met also game superhero rpgs...so for me that speaks volumes over saving the world or killing what you can to get experience...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian1968 View Post
    For me, superhero gaming takes a much different mindset for a player than would your typical, run-of-the-mill fantasy game. Anyone can create Captain Do-Anything Man...but to think out what your abilities, powers and origins are are akin to creating a fantasy character but approaching it from a different angle.

Most of the more stable of gamers I've met also game superhero rpgs...so for me that speaks volumes over saving the world or killing what you can to get experience...
    Good grief. I've found a clone.

I right there with ya. I'm running a Classic Marvel RPG at the moment (best RPG system ever in my estimation) and I've always found superhero RPGs to have more of what I'm looking for as an individual. Had one campaign that ran for about six years.

Put simply, I like good guys. I like the struggles they go through and the fact that good guys aren't perfect but in the end, they are good guys. I like the drama that goes with it, the character development, and all the different directions you can go.

For example, I could set my players in a fantasy setting with a superhero campaign but you couldn't do vice versa with something like D&D. That kind of flexibility alone is worth playing.

I have never been a big fan of the fantasy genre and I'll play a superhero genre based RPG over a fantasy one any day. I have both versions of the DC RPGs (there might have been a third. Not sure) and I simply get a kick out of the other versions of RPGs like Top Secret and Gamma World (in that order).

Been that way for a long time. Not changing any time soon.
    Last edited by Marvel Master; 11-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Master View Post
    Good grief. I've found a clone.
    For those who know me, that's a frightening thought...

I agree with you, though, 100%.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of which, for those who are interested in joining Classic Marvel campaign, click the link below:

Classic Marvel Campaign Goes Online

Any questions, send me a PM.

God bless.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678