Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Greatest Sci-Fi Elements Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Greatest Sci-Fi Elements Of All Time?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan. I watch just about anything I can get my hands on and have recently started to expand my interest into Sci-Fi novels. I'm absolutely taken with space travel. Adventuring into the great unknown, unrestrained from concepts that are law here on earth like physics, species and races, and man being at the top of the food chain. Anything is possible in the great unknown that is space. Nothing enthralls and overworks my imagination like space travel. I'm curious what makes Sci-Fi so enthralling to others? Your thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sci-fi is great. for me, because you can apply old themes to new technology. Fantastic things have "mundane" explanations whereas in fantasy its always magic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The great unknown tends to make my imagination work overtime. It is nearly endless as far as most would speculate. That means that practically anything is possible. In essence it also gives us hope for humanity. Maybe we are not alone in this existence. Perhaps humanity will grow out into the greater universe and prosper building on the foundations that we set today.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So many different possibilities and so many different views. EVE, Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z, Farscape, Starship Troopers, etc... One common thing that seems to run rampant in any sci-fi setting is Politics though. As hard as I might try it is hard to imagine any sentient race or species to achieve anything without political structure. What do you guys think. Is it possible that Politics could be unique to human beings? That worlds could function successfully without order and leaders? Like some natural force or harmony that guided species to come together and work for the greater good? Kinda hard to imagine don't you think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even in the animal community there is a natural order. Not really politics, the strong dominate the weak. I think order is natural one way or the other, politics as we see them probably not.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the best Sci-Fi...

...allows us to examine ourselves.

When you strip away all the mundane layers of normality and everyday modern life, you can see the characters and their motivations and relationships more clearly.

Then things that might otherwise be hidden by the everyday background noise of "making a living", become apparent and obvious. Making it an excellent genre for socio-political critiques and exposés.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Star Trek was great for its ability to move past all the effects and have a nice little lesson in morality at the end of each show. Of course everything after TNG lost that component and focused more on action and special effects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Trek: The Next Generation was glorious for those morality lessons. We really didn't see them again until Star Trek: Voyager. Even away from Star Fleet they held to their values and never stopped trying to get home, even though it was theoretically impossible. As far as science fiction "political thrillers" go I don't think I've ever come across a better series than the BattleTech novels. Star Trek would have to be second runner up. I never cared much for the politics of Star Wars. They seem far to close to the real thing here on earth lol.