Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Yet Another PnP Recommendation Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Yet Another PnP Recommendation Thread

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    To better aid me in creating custom worlds for my players I am trying to get my hands on a variety of popular game system books. I'm currently creating product listings for some of the most popular, more established, RPG games/systems ever created. What defines a "more established" game/system?
    1. It was published for at least 5 years.
    2. Some form of non-sourcebook material has been published/created (miniatures, novels, comic books, toys, etc...)
    3. 20+ suppliments have been created for it bare minimum
    I am aware of many universes that I am just not interested in learning from for one reason or another. Those that are red are known about but not something I am going to collect/persue. Any suggestions for successful and story-rich universes, not listed below, would be most appreciated (especially systems as vast as BattleTech, WOD, D&D, and GURPS).
    1. BattleTech
    2. Call of Cthulhu
    3. D20
    4. Deadlands
    5. Dungeons & Dragons (1974 to current + spin offs like spelljammer, planescape, greyhawk, etc...)
    6. Earthdawn
    7. Exalted
    8. GURPS
    9. Heavy Gear
    10. Renegade Legion
    11. Rifts
    12. Runequest
    13. Shadowrun
    14. Star Trek RPG
    15. Star Wars (WEG)
    16. Starfleet Battles
    17. Traveller
    18. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
    19. Warhammer 40K
    20. World Of Darkness (all systems under it included; vampire, wereworlf, etc..)

Downloads
    Uploads

Shadowrun and Earthdawn...

...go together, things like Harlequin, and Harlequin's back don't make sense unless you at least know Earthdawn's history. It also gives you a long term view which is required to understand and appreciate the machinations of the Dragons and Immortal Elves...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your going to read all that? Vampire the Masquerade alone could take years to get through. Theres 5 books I usually advise new GMs to read

1. Burning Wheel
    2. Storytellers Handbook (VTM 2nd Ed)
    3. Queen Euphoria (shadowrun)
    4. Transylvania (DA:V)
    5. The Riddle of Steel

If you have not read any of those I would say put them on the list regardless of how established they are.

as a side note I usually recommend anything by Nigel Findley

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't plan to read everything published for these game lines. I'm very interested in creating unique worlds that borrow heavily from well established concepts and time proven methods. The main reason I'm looking for something that is well established is because something like Vampire The Masquerade has tons to choose from. I can easily find the most successful among its suppliments, through reviews and recommendations of others, and learn a great deal. The smaller the game the less people have played it and the harder it is to find material that qualifies as "must read". I wish I had that kind of free time but unfortunately I don't.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Olothfaern View Post
    ...go together, things like Harlequin, and Harlequin's back don't make sense unless you at least know Earthdawn's history. It also gives you a long term view which is required to understand and appreciate the machinations of the Dragons and Immortal Elves...
    i have both of these and i don't think you need to know anything about earthdawn to understand the two adventures for shadowrun. Within the novels and the rpg supplements there have been numerous suggestions that there maybe elves who where not born as UGE children, that maybe the real thing and immortal.

It may add more depth for a GM or even player to know Earthdawn history, but its not required.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So are there any major game systems that I am missing? Please help me out here guys. If you know of anything that I haven't listed above, that meets the criteria listed, please let me know about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talislanta
    Hero System
    Pendragon
    Gamma World
    Stormbringer/Elric!
    Star Trek (FASA)
    MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing)
    Rolemaster
    Space Master
    Harnmaster