Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Weapon of Legacy?

Downloads
    Uploads

Weapon of Legacy?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I never did get the Weapons of Legacy book. I was making some items that would progress with the characters in my campaign. Let me know what you think of this one, that I'm thinking of introducing (especially power wise at the end). The powers are based off the entropomancer in the Complete Divine.

Venotam is in Rhoendinford after his recent jaunt in mount Frakdushar and Brisindale. Needing some items, he decides to look around the town as he looks for the library. As he wanders the market, he is amazed that so many people find so many different things to sell from such a broken dismal place as this. From wood carvings to maps that magically show places, glass blowers, alchemists, cobblers, dress makers, musicians, etc...all around and peddling their wares or services. They call to the young elven priest, obviously seeing a cash cow to buy their wares. The market is filled with different items that could be used by anyone of a variety of vocations or hobbies, as well as those who just want to say they made it here. The streets bustle with activity as the fair prepares to engulf the town.
    As he turns a corner, he sees a stall that has members of several churches in it. The members are attempting to raise funds for themselves as well as the hospice which is run purely on donations to help the less fortunate. A small pot sits beside a symbol of each of the elemental gods and another unmarked pot which is apparently for the hospice stands at the end. Occasionally, someone will toss a coin into one of the many containers, showing Venotam that the people in a place like this can be charitable also. While it might warm another mans heart, Venotam feels a disgust for their ignorance and weakness. Looking into the containers to see if it is worth the risk, he feels a slight vibration from the sword he has now been carrying for some time.
    Reaching back to touch the sword, Venotam tries to communicate with the previously silent item. The priest calls out something to the distracted Venotam which brings him back to reality. The priest smiles oddly and hands him a small pamphlet explaining the benefits of the church and how the church is always there for you. The sword turns cold with an intensity that startles the young adventurer.
    Continuing on, the sword is again uncommunicative. As he turns off the main thoroughfare, he notices a dog that has died and is slowly decaying in an alley. Looking at the dog, he notices a man that appears familiar who is looking at him. The sword again vibrates. The man is one of the priests from the religious stalls. The cleric squints at the symbol upon Venotam. Making several warding gestures, he says, "Bastard son of Ealondar and betrayer of the true gods, your blasphemy shall be your doom." The cleric from the stall moves off at a fast pace as a fog rises to obscure his departure. Venotam follows the man with a strange sense of urgency, unable to stop his curiosity or anger.
    As Venotam trails his "fellow" priest, he is led to the north-west, and then comes to a stop at a building. Far too many guards and citizens are about for Venotam to take action. While the person he is trailing is in the building, Venotam circles around it and then finds a sign announcing it to be the local jail. "Interesting..." he says quietly. "I must destroy this man!"

A few minutes pass before the person he is trailing exits the building and heads south-west. Venotam recognizes the area as they pass the Aqual temple and the hospice. Keeping his distance, Venotam sees the man enter a bar called the Farmers Daughter.

Once inside, he sees that the Farmers Daughter is at least a bar. There is a large common area that is open to the ceiling of the second floor. There is a set of stairs going up to a balcony and off of the balcony are a series of doors. Tables and chairs are all askew, and there are shells that appear to be from peanuts all over the floor. Many people are opting to stand instead of sitting, and there are quite a few tables that are taller than normal, apparently just for standing at. There are a few archways leading to other rooms off of the main room. A few of these archways have curtains covering them so that Venotam can't see into them. Under the smells of unwashed bodies, vomit, and stale beer Venotam smells decay like he never before realized.
    When Venotam inquires as to the other rooms, he is told, "If you have to ask, they aren't for you."
    Venotam decides on a course of action, as the priest is nowhere to be seen. Acting slightly inebriated, he staggers toward one of the curtained off areas. As he approaches, someone of a fairly large stature in a purple vest stands up and puts up his hand in a "hold on a moment" pose. Venotam stops, giving a hopefully real looking stumble as he does so. The large fellow comes closer, "Evening. Do you happen to have your invitation? This is a private party and an invitation is required."
    With a burst of speed, Venotam feigns a dodge left and moves in to trip the large man. He jumps over the prone figure to push aside the curtain. Beyond he spies assemblage of deviants in a room with a back exit. In the low light he notices that several are looking back toward the exit. The sword pulses with cold intensity and Venotam runs through the back room ignoring the yells from the guard who now is in pursuit. Sprinting along the alleyway, he catches a glimpse of the man he was following as dusk takes hold of the city.
    After a short pursuit, he catches the man at a small graveyard near the temple of Rok. The man tries to use some of the old limestone markers as cover as he starts some sort of incantation. Venotam strides forward with the long blade before him. The shining metal blade seems to rust away to nothing before it strikes. As the sword plunges into the unremarkable man, he raises his arms in a feeble attempt to fend off the attack. The corpse slides off the again shining blade. Within seconds, the body has 'melted' away to nothing.

Then a voice resonates within Venotam's mind.
    "Wield me well. This world is decaying and must return to the nothingness from whence it came. My power shall be your power as we return things to their rightful state. Our power grows as your power grows and our bond increases. Use me or I shall find one who will. If you lend me part of your life-force , there are things I can do to help you. All will be known of me with time."

Shard of entropy (1d6) @ 2nd level cost 1 HP
    Shard of entropy (2d6) @ 3rd level cost 3 HP
    Shard of entropy (3d6) @ 4th level cost 5 HP
    Entropic field @ 5th level cost 7 HP
    Shard of entropy (4d6) @ 6th level cost 9 HP
    Entropic field (reroll) @ 7th level cost 11 HP
    Shard of entropy (5d6) @ 8th level cost 13 HP
    Entropic field (wounding) @ 9th level cost 15 HP
    Shard of entropy (6d6) @ 10th level cost 17 HP
    Shard of entropy (7d6) @ 11th level cost 19 HP
    Shard of entropy (7d6, consuming) @ 12th level cost 21 HP

All usable once per day upon reaching appropriate level with sacrifice of HP
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a nasty little toy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nasty but limited enough to balance out. Besides weapons of legacy you might want to search for a dragon magazine article called level up your longsword. I think it was better than WoL because it didn't require a special feat or class to work. Just appropriate(like belonging to a certain family or church) to the weapons back story like what your doing.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Intelligent weapons are always interesting. You could come up with some interesting moral dillemas as the sword wants the owner to do something the player wouldn't normally do.

Also, being an intelligent weapon, will it force its user to only use it in combat? (ie, can't use a ranged weapon for example)

Finally, what happens if the user tries to get rid of it? Does it return similar to a cursed weapon? Or does the weapon get annoyed, find a new owner, and have that owner come after the PC?

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is an adventure in the recent Dungeon Magazine called "War of the Wielders" that focuses on a group of intelligent weapons that lock their wielders in this never-ending battle. Once a wielder dies or becomes strong enough to resist the weapon, a new wielder is found. These weapons also seek each other out to continue the fight.

The article also talks a little about creating new weapons in the same vein and more plot hooks. I'll look through my issues to find it and share it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by shilar View Post
    Nasty but limited enough to balance out. Besides weapons of legacy you might want to search for a dragon magazine article called level up your longsword. I think it was better than WoL because it didn't require a special feat or class to work. Just appropriate(like belonging to a certain family or church) to the weapons back story like what your doing.
    The feats required to power up a legacy weapon are bonus feats granted when you complete the necessary tasks and are of the appropriate level. It's not that bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    There is an adventure in the recent Dungeon Magazine called "War of the Wielders" that focuses on a group of intelligent weapons that lock their wielders in this never-ending battle. Once a wielder dies or becomes strong enough to resist the weapon, a new wielder is found. These weapons also seek each other out to continue the fight.

The article also talks a little about creating new weapons in the same vein and more plot hooks. I'll look through my issues to find it and share it.
    I found the information. The issue is Dungeon 149 and the article is called War of the Wielded. Check it out Rabkala, I think you might find it useful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the ideas. I have always liked intelligent weapons.

I like my idea of the weapon taking a HP cost to work, but wasn't sure if it would be a breaking point for prospective users.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope.

Of course there are a bunch of other options for drawbacks as well. For example, one that is especially powerful, but causes temporary blindness.

I started planning a campaign at one point that involved trying to collect 12 powerful artifacts of different types, each created at the same time by a group of adventurers that banished demons from the plane.

Each item was infused with the essense of one of the adventurers, and therefore had their personality. It was interesting coming up with 12 weapons, each with their own powers and drawbacks. Too bad I've since lost the notes I was making for that campaign... I had a bunch of ideas.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!