Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Are The Key Differences Between D&D and WOD Games?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Cam is short for Camerella, the official LARP for White Wolf games. You pay membership dues and everything but in return White Wolf finds you games to be in and places to play. They also have a big hand in writing the MET rules. for nWOD Vampire and Werewolf are out and Mage and Changling are on the way. The Camerella has draft versions of the rules for Mage and Changling that they are tweaking right now. Or at leased thats how I understand it. I do not belong to the Cam so I'm going off of what I read on Forums and what the LARPers I know say. The local chapter plays at the Masonic Lodge in the Queen Ann district of Seattle

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the exception of the streamlined, and finally united game product lines, WOD rules I cannot imagine a reason to play nWOD. What do you mean it is more about personal horror? If nWOD is about personal whore what is oWOD about?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    With the exception of the streamlined, and finally united game product lines, WOD rules I cannot imagine a reason to play nWOD. What do you mean it is more about personal horror? If nWOD is about personal whore what is oWOD about?
    Well the main reason is for people who don't want the never ending metaplot. But I'll answer your horror question.

Vampire started out about personal horror then became more gothic punk, and rightly so as they were pulling from more modern myths like Ann Rice where vampires are sexy and not monsters. Over time this changed into dark superheros (which it kind of was from the beginning) and with enough outcries moved into playing the bad guys.

nWOD for good and bad focuses more on you being a horrible monster. Vampire is back to the original story of trying to save your own humanity only this time your not the sexy goth punk of before and instead your this horrible monster. The writing is a lot darker more similar to some of the things you saw out of the later vampire stuff from before while still retaining the save your soul story.

Changeling is by far the biggest change. It went from happy fae children to you were captured and tortured somehow you escaped and your on the run. You can see this change in all the lines except Mage. I don't get a dark feeling from it yet but I don't have any of the extra books for it and frankly thats where the fluff is now, the main books might as well be strait rule books for the amount of fluff.

For me Vampire is a toss up which I think is better. I do like the fact that my beloved Tremere are no longer a clan but rather there are a couple covenants that are similar in idea (I am happy with a Mekhet/Ordo Dracul combo but its arguable how to make a Tremere in the new system). It just makes more sense that they are a society of vampires rather than a clan. I don't like that the Nosferatu are no longer the sewer rats. The bloodlines in the old made a lot of sense. In the new it feels a lot like a D&D 3.X prestige class and I still can't wrap my head around the idea of the new take on bloodlines.

Heres my suggestion while your buying oWOD stuff pick up Damnation City (VTR) its very usable with both and will give you a look into the writing style change. The Blood is probably the best for the flavor of VTR but it wont be nearly as useful for VTM
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 01-17-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I very much appreciate the detailed information you posted. For once I can clearly see the differences. I will pick up Damnation City as soon as I get some extra cash, which shouldn't be long at all. I'll see if I can't find a copy of The Blood locally and see if I want to pick it up. Good stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123