Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Matrix, Dreams, and Out of Body
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Matrix, Dreams, and Out of Body

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Matrix, Dreams, and Out of Body

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    And have you run any games like this?

What are the some of the issues that come up when trying to run/play in a cyberspace (The Matrix), dreamscape, and other out-of-body based games?

If you've never played (or never wanted to play) in a game like this, what's stopped you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't like how some things are allowed while others in the same vein aren't because it would unbalance the game.

I loved the Matrix as an action film with its good story but come on....super-intelligent computers create a dreamworld imperfect enough for man to accept it but they can't stop some hackers because there's some mystical prophesy afoot?

Suspending disbelief is not an option in a setting like this because one side of the equation adheres strictly to the natural laws while the other just bends them a little.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    . . . enough for man to accept it but they can't stop some hackers because there's some mystical prophesy afoot?
    Well, my first question is, did you see the 2nd and 3rd movies?

Other than that, what makes you think the Architect was telling the truth?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My friend ran a d20 Modern game where he tricked us into the Matrix. We made up regular d20 Modern characters, and were drawn into the Matrix. I made up a poker player who then had to combat AI's. It was cool but disconcerting to say the least.

His version of the Matrix was different than the movies. There were several factions of 'freed' humans operating in and out of the Matrix. Also, he threw in aliens and aliens technologies.

He created a Matrix-orientated advanced class based upon each attribute (sort of like the base classes of d20 Modern). Also, he created an 'Aware' template with several tiers based upon level. This simulated someone who was flushed and now awakened who also go enter the Matrix again as an aware individual.

The template included some feats and psionic powers. He basically used psionic-like powers to simulate super-human abilities possible while in the Matrix. Also, our programmers provided us with a download when you entered the Matrix. This was a set of bonus skill points (20, I think) that could be customized every time you entered the Matrix. The bonus skill points skill followed the maximum for skills (i.e. you couldn't put more ranks in a skill than level +3), but you could now take trained-only skills that were not available to you before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    Well, my first question is, did you see the 2nd and 3rd movies?

Other than that, what makes you think the Architect was telling the truth?

I've seen all the movies, but I've also studied AI development in college as well as network security and some biology.

What makes you think he was lying? Be careful not to put too much human emotion into the machines. Only Smith could be deceitful and that was after being changed by Neo.

Anyway, the question originally posed was what kept us away from playing a game like and I don't play Matrix games because I don't think they would transfer well from a story to a game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Anyway, the question originally posed was what kept us away from playing a game like and I don't play Matrix games because I don't think they would transfer well from a story to a game.

I feel the same way as Digital Arcanist. While I've done some sessions where the players are caught in a dream, usually by the end of the session, they wake back up. About the only way I would ever run a campaign that was strictly a Matrix style game, would be to have the players start out in the Matrix and during the game, have 'supernatural' events begin to happen around them.

Eventually, they would figure out/learn that the 'supernatural' events were actually glitches in the program that they are causing and begin to let them learn about extra abilities that each of them had, but didn't realize they did.

Now I do allow characters to interact with cyberspace in my sci-fi games, but that tends to be very minor in my games. Usually with just the players telling me what they want to do and rolling dice. That's because only 1 or 2 players out of a group of 5 to 6 are actually going into cyberspace and I don't want to bog down the game with running just those 1 or 2 players while they're in cyberspace.

But if for some reason the entire group could enter cyberspace, I would probably have entire sessions were they are interacting in a 'different' world, which was cyberspace itself, something that would take some planning, since the 'rules' of cyberspace wouldn't be quite the same as they would be in real space.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    And have you run any games like this?

What are the some of the issues that come up when trying to run/play in a cyberspace (The Matrix), dreamscape, and other out-of-body based games?

If you've never played (or never wanted to play) in a game like this, what's stopped you?
    There was this game that I ran back in 93-95. It started out low level super heroic (Marvel Super Heroes RPG system) and over the years the players (8) were living in a metahuman community (school/college type layout) which was funded by a very large corporation. The corporation head was the main villain of the world, but the players thought he was a good benefactor. In fact, the villain was responsible for 75% of all that was thrown at the players.

As the game went on, the players (now 6) left the facility to set up their own super heroic base elsewhere in the country. The game had advanced in power and it was also converted to the Hero system.

I was required to move across the state, so in my last game, at it's end, my last words were, "And then you wake up." and then I began to describe how they had been all living out a shared and induced hallucination while in stasis pods within the basement of that villain's corporation. It was implied that they never left the original facility, and half the game was just a /dream-hallucination-projection/.

The players were /pissed/! And to this day, I don't go 3 months without hearing , "And then you wake up." with some spite in tone.

The irony of it all, I moved back into the area back in 2001, and those same players played other games of mine from then on out. You would have thought they'd learned.
    Last edited by Moritz; 12-05-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another instance of this was in a horror game I've been running since '99.

In one game, the characters woke up in a sanatorium and were in group therapy discussing their psychosis and beliefs that they were living in a world filled with evil that they were fighting against.

Basically, it was one session that was implying to the players that their lives in the horror world were just some psychotic break of their characters. And that their characters were living in isolation within an asylum.

The game continued, and the players probably pushed out those implications. Either way, I could ultimately say, "And then you wake up." again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hehe...I think you should limit the Dallas dream sequence to one per decade.

However, it seems from your dates that you're eligable for another one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    His version of the Matrix was different than the movies. There were several factions of 'freed' humans operating in and out of the Matrix. Also, he threw in aliens and aliens technologies.
    Isn't there a reference to the Matrix Universe where the Machines use a human pilot to destroy some Alien ships in a Neil Gailman's short story? Maybe in Smoke & Mirrors?
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    Isn't there a reference to the Matrix Universe where the Machines use a human pilot to destroy some Alien ships in a Neil Gailman's short story? Maybe in Smoke & Mirrors?
    hmm...very interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Other than seeing the movies, I haven't delved into the Matrix universe at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    We played in a Ravenloft Domain (Scaena), which was a Theater, the adventure was in reality a "BAD PLAY" from the director which was the Domain Lord.

I suppose the trick is to introduce very ... very subtle hints of the "Truth" like the Deja Vu Scene in the Matrix. Other Movies like: The Others, Sixth Sense, The Village, etc. may give some ideas.

The Truth is out there for the players to find.
    Saluti
    Carlos