Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Have you called-in-sick in order to roleplay?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've called-in-sick to work (or school) because of a RPG.

76 39.18%
  • Not me, I've never called in on account of a RPG.

91 46.91%
  • I'm a bastion of honesty, I've never called in untruthfully.

27 13.92%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Calling-in-Sick?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The one on the far left, nicknamed Kate Mouse. It's too thin to see in this shot, though.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Hell I still call in sick sometimes and I'm 40!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish I could have called in sick Not enough paid time off for that.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in the 1950s, businesses were insanely lenient about sick leave and vacation time. I guess they weren't competing with the emerging economies, just the USSR.

and adjusted income, relative to today, was insanely high in the 1950s
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is neither a case overeating or exercise. This is a 'genetic' experiment.

The mouse on the left is Leptin deficient. Leptin is a protein produced by fat cells under direction of the ob gene that decreases appetite and increases energy expenditure - sometimes called the ob protein.

Therefore, the experiment ran on these mice displays the turning off of the ob gene in both mice. The one on the right received leptin injections and remained a regular weight. The one on the left did not, therefore became obese.

So yes, this is a genetic disposition and yes, genetics can cause weight issues.

Understand, we should live in a reality based community, one based on observations - not on faith, assumptions, or ideals. So don't go assuming that just because someone is fat they're lazy or gluttonous.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Nerd v2.135 (final) View Post
    Im sure. not that I would know anything about genetics lol.

clearly, one of these mice is just terribly lazy and gluttonous, im sure!
    guess which one was starved it's whole life?

Last edited by Moritz; 01-05-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    "And then you wake up."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    This is neither a case overeating or exercise. This is a 'genetic' experiment.

The mouse on the left is Leptin deficient. Leptin is a protein produced by fat cells under direction of the ob gene that decreases appetite and increases energy expenditure - sometimes called the ob protein.

Therefore, the experiment ran on these mice displays the turning off of the ob gene in both mice. The one on the right received leptin injections and remained a regular weight. The one on the left did not, therefore became obese.

So yes, this is a genetic disposition and yes, genetics can cause weight issues.

Understand, we should live in a reality based community, one based on observations - not on faith, assumptions, or ideals. So don't go assuming that just because someone is fat they're lazy or gluttonous.

Thank you! Moritz!

I am glad to see you are familiar with the experiment. the gene was actually ligated out with cDNA in the mouse embryos, so the gene was 'knocked out' and not so much turned off (harder to do and involves siRNAs or other hormones)
    I am not sure if it was the leptin gene they knocked out or the ghrelin / obistatin / pre-proghrelin gene

there are actually many hormones (some being peptides like leptin and ghrelin), with numerous origins, that influence the hypothalamic, mesolimbic, and nucleus accumbens mediated energy expenditure and intake of the whole organism.
    Most dysregulation of energy homeostasis not caused by SNPs in relevant genes are caused by external stressor, which are common enough.

I am always so pissed off at the way the media and so called 'Health Care' community demonize, criticize, and mock overweight or obese people and act like it is the most terrible thing. Its like like they want people to worry more about their weight than smoking or STDs.

But one sad thing to realize is that the world will always be superficial like this and that popular opinions and understanding will not change very much, regardless of how it changes or develops in the academic community.
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    called in sick to play d&d with a huge group was when i first started playing and it was epic. Other than that i missed an entire week of school for Halo 3 and Gears of war 2 >.< me and a bunch just laid out doesn't hurt me straight a's (b in prob and stats >.> )
    Let them hail the hollow one Bow before the damned Forge ahead into the night Forget the lessons of the past Follow the lead to failure Relinquish and pay no mind....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We all occasionally need a mental health day. I didn't take one this year, but it's probably the first year that I haven't done so in the last decade.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zombie thread!!

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mental health is exactly how I look at it. and I have almost never felt bad calling in. I look at it like if I don't do it occasionally, the constant day in and day out routine of working will drag my energy down, which will effect my performance. Like steering a ship and being off by 1 degree. Being off by 1 degree means nothing in the short run. Over a long period of time however, you wind up waaay off course. I look at it like they should be thanking me that I decided 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave my house for work, that I instead decided to sit down and play video games most of the day. Or taking the day off to have a LOTR marathon(all 3 in a row) In the long run I will be more productive for having missed that day to indulge. I used to do this often at my old job, because they treated me like crap and the job sucked. I didn't do it once at my last job because they were nazi's and if you missed 1 day within the first 3 years of working there without it being death in the family or being hospitalized, you would be fired.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Taking a day off wouldn't have done me much good this past weekend. Both games got canceled It'll be a month and a half between my last game and my next one, which is totally uncool because I'm in two group with no overlap. I'll go over in the corner and pout some more

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have called in sick because we stayed up too late trying to finish an adventure or campaign... it happens.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    We all occasionally need a mental health day. I didn't take one this year, but it's probably the first year that I haven't done so in the last decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    mental health is exactly how I look at it. and I have almost never felt bad calling in. I look at it like if I don't do it occasionally, the constant day in and day out routine of working will drag my energy down, which will effect my performance. Like steering a ship and being off by 1 degree. Being off by 1 degree means nothing in the short run. Over a long period of time however, you wind up waaay off course. I look at it like they should be thanking me that I decided 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave my house for work, that I instead decided to sit down and play video games most of the day. Or taking the day off to have a LOTR marathon(all 3 in a row) In the long run I will be more productive for having missed that day to indulge. I used to do this often at my old job, because they treated me like crap and the job sucked. I didn't do it once at my last job because they were nazi's and if you missed 1 day within the first 3 years of working there without it being death in the family or being hospitalized, you would be fired.
    You both nailed it. It definitely is a mental health day.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure, I've "called in sick" when in reality I could have gone in. I've done it a few times when there was a event like going to a movie or a renaissance fair... but, I don't think I've ever called in because of a RPG -either playing one or recovering from a late night session...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you can call in sick from being medically retired, nope can't say that I have. I have known a few to do so though.
    To lives is but to die. To die is but to live, so live and die well.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast