Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Have you called-in-sick in order to roleplay?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've called-in-sick to work (or school) because of a RPG.

76 39.18%
  • Not me, I've never called in on account of a RPG.

91 46.91%
  • I'm a bastion of honesty, I've never called in untruthfully.

27 13.92%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Calling-in-Sick?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    and the only place to get real peanut butter in japan was waaaaay out in the plains of the chiba penisula... =(

shakey's pizza was a great bargin... tabehodai (all you can eat) lunch buffet. we would have to sneak in casue as soon as they noticed us (americans) there, they started putting out all the extreme pizzas. (squid corn cheese pizza, anyone?)

a lot of places, especially the nikuhodai (all-you-can-eat-meat places) even had signs stating that americans were only allowed to eat for one hour.

however, the treasure trove of all resturaunts that i've ever eaten at in japan, was in the college town of tsukuba-shi in ibaraki-ken. tiny little place called "ran ran". hole in the street type of place, in the middle of a bunch of college danchi's that should have been condemed about 30 years ago, just off of nishi-odori (west street) behind the karaoke place down the street from the onsen. only 700yen and they'd give you a mixing bowl sized bowl of heaping rice and whatever else you'd ordered tossed in. it was great. even we could barely finish off one normal sized bowl. as far as cheap eating out went, it was heaven. and it tasted good too! =D college dives are sometimes the best.

and yes, all the foreign food marts over in japan (that i saw) were insanely expensive. although i'd occasionally cough up the money for real peanut butter.

at least the milk was good! 4% minimum! =D back in the states, even "whole milk" tasted like water to me.
    Last edited by nijineko; 03-14-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    I've called in 15 times in 2007. 5 times because of my kids, once because I was sick, Twice due to parties, the rest were greatly influenced by staying up too late gaming.
    That was most of mine, and it was in my college days. It was generally a kind of "Oh crud, when did it become 5AM?" type of deal. I felt sleep was a little more critical than attempting to work at that point.

I will admit to calling of work to play Final Fantasy X though....

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my first years of college, I either slept in due to late gaming and missed classes, or skipped evening classes so I could make the game on time.

Jakabok

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't ever called in lat to work or called in so I didn't have to show. Of course, I do run my own business now. When I was younger there wasn't even an option to call in. So, I guess I'm lucky
    Nice try...Thanks for playing !

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    looking to expand your business any? ;D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never called in to work (or skipped classes in school) for "RPG" purposes but that probably has a lot to do with our play schedule.

In high school we played at lunch or on the weekends...not much reason or opportunity for skipping school as most of us had no car and none of us lived in anything close to the same neighborhoods.

In college, everyone who played was either going to school or had a steady 9-5 job, so we only played on Friday or Saturday nights. Nobody was taking any night classes, so there was no conflict there.

Joining the workforce was much the same. All my players work pretty steady 9-5, so that leaves little use to "calling in" as even if I did, everybody else would be at work and I would have no one to game with. We also are moderately distant (30 minutes or so) geographically, which makes play on weeknights impractical. Add to that the families of 3 of us in the group and you begin to see how relatively little leeway there is in scheduling the kind of gaming that would keep us from going to work.

Part of me misses the "play 'till 3 in the morning" gaming that we used to do. I'm just happy that we manage to get together to game consistently twice a month. Any less than that would probably drive me nuts.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though i have never called in sick for an rpg game, i voted "yes" in the poll. Why? Because if ever there was a conflict with work and a game, i would call in sick.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used my sick-time for days off to play games or to recover form playing them. This may happen once a year, but when it does the "illness" usually will last a couple days. Might as well make it worth taking the time off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never called in sick to play, but it looks like I'm calling in sick today. Bleh...
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going! (But I'll happily be the GM...)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never and will never put my job or reputation on the line to miss a day of work under false pretenses. I have worked 20 hour days after getting one hour of sleep due to gaming, but NEVER call off unless I am all but dead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I called in sick to increase my odds of getting a house placement on ultima online. And... I called in sick because I stayed up too late playing World of Warcraft online and there was no way I could make it to work and not fall asleep at the wheel. Haven't done it for dnd yet but there's still time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzei View Post
    I have never and will never put my job or reputation on the line to miss a day of work under false pretenses. I have worked 20 hour days after getting one hour of sleep due to gaming, but NEVER call off unless I am all but dead.
    False pretenses? I'm allowed a number of personal days a year so i take advantage of what's rightfully given to me. Use them or lose them.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    False pretenses? I'm allowed a number of personal days a year so i take advantage of what's rightfully given to me. Use them or lose them.

Thoth-Amon
    One of my jobs included sick days in with vacation. The other one, which was the way you describe, I did use my sick days. But they were planned out in advance with my boss so I wasn't sticking anyone.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the last time i called in sick, the supervisor hung up on me. cheh. i never call off unless there is a true (and legitimate) need.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a kid in high school, I called in sick to work to play D&D. It was actually a 24 hour marathon session and I knew I couldn't get the time off as we were short staffed. Ah, the evils of youth.