Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Have you called-in-sick in order to roleplay?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've called-in-sick to work (or school) because of a RPG.

76 39.18%
  • Not me, I've never called in on account of a RPG.

91 46.91%
  • I'm a bastion of honesty, I've never called in untruthfully.

27 13.92%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling-in-Sick?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Calling-in-Sick?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As I find myself calling in sick today to work, I am reminded of an article that I read a couple weeks ago. The article sited a pretty staggering percentage of us who call in sick when we're actually not. So, it got me curious, how many of us have ever called-in-sick, when the real reason we are calling-in is to roleplay or perhaps because we stayed up WAY too late roleplaying?
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was a lot younger I was guilty of this due to late nights; not necessarily a session in of its self.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've called in 15 times in 2007. 5 times because of my kids, once because I was sick, Twice due to parties, the rest were greatly influenced by staying up too late gaming.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't recall ever calling in sick due to a game, but I did have one job where I got fed up with how a couple people got to do pretty much what they wanted but I was expected to follow a stricter standard.

For example, I was told that we were only allowed 1 Saturday off per month, but apparently that just applied to me because the girl who worked beside me rarely if ever showed up on Saturdays and had no repercussions from it. So just once (in 3 1/2 years of working there), I called in sick because my girlfriend (now wife) wanted me to spend Saturday with her and our friends after she drove 3 hours to see us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've called in sick a couple times over the years because I stayed up till around 4 AM playing D&D and had to be out the door for work at 5 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not because of RP'ing. Perhaps to hang out with a girl. But hang out with a bunch of smelly guys. Nah.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've found myself contemplating to call-in a couple times before games I was gm'ing. I just wanted to prepare more stuff.

Never called in though. I've called in to go riding (dirt bikes) when the weather is perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Only in college

When I was in college we had a gaming group that met in the quad and if the session was going particularly well there would be several of us who would develop illnesses or just not go to class. I just followed a strict just let them assume I was sick policy. I never lied about it I just never corrected them. I also never missed rehearsal (music major) since my not showin up actually affected others.
    Since I have entered the workplace I have never called in sick for a game (or any other non-sick releated reason) but I have traded days rearranged things, etc on many occasions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems like a real waste of a day to stay home sick. I would rather go in sick and save the personal and sick days for fun. Then, there are weeks of vacation time that I can use at the drop of a hat. My employer would much rather have me take a day off here and there, than actually schedule numerous days/weeks together. The longest I took off at once was a two week period of time. They missed numerous deadlines and many things basically stood still until I returned to do them. Now I am one of those people that Phish complains about, cause the rules for everyone else don't apply to me.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done it for job interviews, and once because I was hung over (coworkers got me drunk so it was work related). Beyond that it's been for my kids when they are sick.

The company I'm at now is very cool. I don't have sick days. I have days off. I can schedule them in advance if I'm planning, or just take them if I need them (sick, surprise shift in plans, sleepy, etc.).

They don't put them in separate banks. I'd just get shot if I took a day off during crunch, beyond that they are amazingly flexible.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Where I work is about the same, Grim. We get one bucket of PTO (Paid Time Off) that is used for sick time, vacation, personal days, whatever. I like it, especially since I don't usually use that much sick time. And since it is all lumped together, I end up accruing a full day off every two weeks.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never "called" in sick for RPGs, however I have messaged the schedule to have a day off now and then for my regular D&D game. So I suppose that counts in my mind as calling in sick.

HIL

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was younger, an all weekend game did not stop me from going to work. Being young, it was easier to get a caffein spike and tough it out. How ever now that I have a few years under my belt... Well, I just don't try pulling 'forty-eighters' any more. And I have called in sick for many strange reasons, but never for a game. Yet!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh i have, Ashrons Call, and World of Warcraft, were two reasons..but never to play a paper and dice game. With online games i would find myself in an "instance" at 3am even after i "promised myself" i would be off line by 11pm. Next thing i know its dawn, ive drank 5 mtn dew's in the last 3 hours and everywhere i look i see colorful "spots" yes i admit i have called in in those instances..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've enjoyed both calling in sick from work and ditching school to play BattleTech. I actually lost a job and was put in in school suspension for my excessive tardiness. I'm not really in a place that I could do that now but I cherish the memories of when such things were viable

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast