Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Droid Locomotion

Downloads
    Uploads

Droid Locomotion

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have a question regarding movement speeds for droids and associated costs. On page 188 of the SE rulebook there is a chart that lists the costs of the various types of droid locomotion.

Are you required to give a droid the maximum speed, or can a droid have a speed of less than the max?
    Especially in the case of flying, being able to decreasing the m
    aximum squares that can be flown in a turn would keep the cost down.

Thanks,

Cy

Downloads
    Uploads
    The locomotion section says that all droids begin with the base speed as indicated by the table.

Turning while flying is a different matter. In 3.5 edition, the act of turning while flying had a cost in number of squares associated with it as seen in the Monster Manual and the Draconomicon. It appears that the PHB for SE doesn't cover that but refers you to the directions for the miniatures game involving the Battle Fleet line.

Hovering and Flying are two different types of locomotion. I would say that turning while hovering would have no cost associated with it at this point but flying would, since aerodynamics takes over and you just can't get past that in a sci-fi setting. I would reference the books I listed above. I imagine that the next source books will cover flight movement and offer some feats or modifications you can take to decrease the movement cost.

Hopefully this helps you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its my understanding that the listed number is just your maximum move in a turn. Just like non-droid characters have a base speed of 6 squares. It doesn't require that you move those full 6 squares.

They have applied this same rule to vehicles. Which is wonky because it makes no sense for starship combat since you are still going to be moving forward from thrust.

The did it to keep it simple but maybe went to far with that. The new starships book should clairfy some of that or at least have optional rules for it.

SO, I would say a droid has the listed as their max speed but can choose to move less than that. Right now there aren't any rules for accelerating and decelerating.

Its the same deal with the jet pack too.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the responses.

Adding flying costs 29,300 credits for a medium droid, 33,400 credits for a small one. You may as well buy a used Corellian transport, for that level of cost.

Cy