Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Eldritch Role-Playing System Core Rules (Eldritch)

Downloads
    Uploads

Eldritch Role-Playing System Core Rules (Eldritch)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    <table><tr><td valign="top"></td><td>Eldritch Role-Playing System Core Rules (Eldritch) [Goodman Games]
    by Goodman Games
    Release Date: 2008-03-05
    Amazon Price: <strike>$19.99</strike> $13.59 as of 03/07/2008 09:44:55 AM PST
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Description
    A complete yet simple fantasy role playing system
    </td/</tr></table>

<HR>Price is accurate as of the date/time indicated. Prices and product availability are subject to change. Any price displayed on the Amazon website at the time of purchase will govern the sale of this product. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT SOME OF THE CONTENT THAT WE MAKE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH THIS APPLICATION COMES FROM AMAZON WEB SERVICES. ALL SUCH CONTENT IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS." THIS CONTENT AND YOUR USE OF IT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND/OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.<HR>

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

From the Goodman site:

There is a realm where warriors brandish their swords to thwart evil, wizards bend reality to achieve the impossible, and rogues sneak past them both to claim the treasure for themselves! Eldritch Role-Playing System takes you to this realm. A complete yet simple system, this game lets your characters become powerful heroes with straightforward rules.

With no restrictive archetypes, character concept is king: cast any spell, wield any weapon desired, evoke any power imagines. Players can create detailed characters in minutes, fulfilling their destinies in a world of dream known by sages as Áinereve. So sharpen your sword, gather your will, and summon your inner strength to prepare for a new game experience…

Created by Dan Cross and Randall Petras
    Developers: Larry Hols, Seth Clayton
    Layout: Kosala Ubayasekara
    Cover Art: Peter Bradley
    Interior Art: Eric Bergeron

GMG4360, 96 pages, $19.99
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone gotten this? From perusing the designer notes on the web, I didn't see a compelling reason to get Yet Another Fantasy Role-Playing System (YAFRPS?), but maybe there's some hidden treasure in the book I don't know about.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, going to their online site, Eldrich RPG, from what I can see of what they have online, I'm not really that interested. I'm not saying it's a bad system, but I've already got plenty of fantasy RPGs to use...so...

Maybe if I was looking for a new system, I might be interested, but as you said yourself, it's a YAFRPS!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read the reviews which were... not good, nothing that makes me remotely interested. my only question is why should I play this? there are a lot of fantasy systems out there, many on par with this that you can download for free. whats the point of putting this in print?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    whats the point of putting this in print?
    • Somebody owed somebody a favor.
    • Given the timing, maybe Goodman were trying to grab some of the hypothetical crowd so turned off by D&D 4e that they started looking for other game systems.

Otherwise, you're right, this looks like a Fantasy Folly. (Not even a "heartbreaker"; I don't know of any cool concept in Eldritch that one could salvage.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know much about it but the basic premise is encouraging. No classes to play? sounds intriguing enough to check out (besides one can never have enough games)
    Never trust a smiling GM, that's when they're dangerous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Classless fantasy game systems have been around for thirty years, that's still not much of a particularity. I just read a rpgnet review, the game seems very bland to say the least.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    Classless fantasy game systems have been around for thirty years, that's still not much of a particularity. I just read a rpgnet review, the game seems very bland to say the least.
    In fact, I find I tend to prefer them. Man, did I love RuneQuest way back in the Chaosium days.

I did hit the publisher's website for this and gave the "quick start rules" a once-over. At a glance, I didn't find much compelling there. Abilities are rated in dice you roll, the higher the roll the more successful.
    Last edited by Harwel; 05-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer classless, skill-based systems as well. Unfortunately, I've got scads of them: Basic Role-Playing and its relations, Warhammer, Traveller Classic and Mongoose, GURPS, Savage Worlds, Spirit of the Century, HeroQuest/Mythic Russia, the original Castle Falkenstein, several PDQ-based games, a few Tri-Stat-based games, new World of Darkness ... not to mention a bunch of indie games I haven't even read yet. I've sold off even more. I'm sick of new systems.

Give me something with lightweight rules (e.g. PDQ or Traveller), interesting mechanics (e.g. SotC or Don't Rest Your Head), or an interesting world (e.g. Warhammer's Old World or GURPS Transhuman Space) ... or better yet, a mix of all three (e.g. HeroQuest or the recent Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies). I didn't see any compelling mechanics or interesting "fluff" in the Eldritch Quickstart, nor in the RPGnet review.