Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: A Great Photoshop Tutorial For Map Making

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation A Great Photoshop Tutorial For Map Making

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was trolling the youtube.com videos and I came across user ZombieNirvanna who had a step-by-step tutorial in Photoshop for making maps for fantasy campaigns. I've watched them and have begun work on my own. Check them out and let me know what you think.

I see this tutorial carrying over into all genres. The techniques give you that ancient scroll look that will work in lots of situations. The other thought I had is that Photoshop files can be exported into Adobe Illustrator and can be printed on a blueprint printer to make a map suitable for miniatures. I've been using AutoCAD for that purpose but now I will change over and try to post some pics of the finished products when I have them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieNirvana

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great! Butch Curry is good guy, we should send him a note letting him know we're here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the link Digital, while I haven't looked through everything he has up, I'm sure I'll be watching them again and again!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its 17 videos all detailing the one project. I know it sounds like a lot but it goes relatively quickly.

I sent him an invitation to join us here so maybe we can get some inside information and premier video tutorials.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot to add the link to his website so here it is:
    www.zombienirvana.com

He has put out a book about making maps in Photoshop. I'm thinking of picking it up.

For those of us who like the idea of making maps in Photoshop but maybe want a horror or sci-fi feel I will put up some links in the coming days for tutorials to make a PADD like background and some other effects you can mix in with the general principles shown in the videos.
    Last edited by Digital Arcanist; 11-23-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first map took me about an hour to do while casually working. I learned a lot of great techniques and below is my first attempt.

The next project I am going to tackle will be a stone slab with some runes carved into it using the techniques I learned in the first few videos.

I am not a Photoshop master nor have I had any formal training in the program. Everything I've learned has been from online tutorials. If anyone is interested I can post from links to some of my favorite tutorials.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like his tutorials, they're fairly easy to follow and I think he does a good job explaining what he's doing! The first few I listened to without my Photoshop running, but then I backed up and listened to the first one again while I followed along in Photoshop.

Once again, great find Digital, thanks for sharing!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've found the best places to learn techniques is from forums. Being able to ask for advice on obtaining a certain effect/style is priceless in my opinion. The best forums I've found so far are those of the professional map making software like Dundjinni and the Pro Fantasy software series. Another great resource is the Cartographers Guild website and forums.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all! I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I'll be getting back into the recording studio (such as it is) in a couple of weeks, so let me know if you have any questions or requests!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very glad to hear there will be more videos to come. Keep up the outstanding work!