Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

D&D Nostalgia
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D&D Nostalgia

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

D&D Nostalgia

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Just for those of us who remember this era and the way things were.

D&D Basic Box

Basic Character Sheet - Morgan Ironwolf

Morgan Ironwolf

I'm still amazed at the simplicity of the game. Guess that's why it's called "Basic".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heh....

See that track at the bottom...Thaco? Doesn't look that complicated, does it....?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh heck no. Just roll that d20 and see what ya get. Oh, and then look at table 2:21 for initial modifiers, then search out table 8:11 for secondary modifiers. Then head over to table 3:7 for final modifiers.

Then you will have determined whether or not you hit the monster.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before I switched to 3rd edition, I could do THAC0 computations absolutely effortlessly. Once you get your mind geared for the way it is calculated, it is easy to figure out, even when you start throwing in modifiers.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gygax 6:67

And the players cried out to Him. "Deliver us from the torments"

He looked upon the wretched masses and smiled. In His voice he said "Let there be 3.0." And it was good, for he was a caring creator who gave his only d20 for our sins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amen brother Digi Arc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now you have to remember that the Book of Gygax is in the New Testament where the Dungeon Master is all palsy with the people. The Old Testament Dungeon Master was all fire and vengeance. He used to reanimate the sinners with his only d20 and send them against the other sinners as zombies and skeletons.
    Last edited by Digital Arcanist; 11-21-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    I'm still amazed at the simplicity of the game. Guess that's why it's called "Basic".
    Pff ... I'm half-tempted to start a The Fantasy Trip nostalgia thread. ST, DX, IQ, MA (movement allowance), list of talents/spells/languages, adjusted DX and MA (due to armor), wounds, fatigue, and equipment ... now that's simple.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 11-21-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot a few stats
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You want simplicity?....try LARP'ing!!! You have three stats: Ro, Sham, and Bo. If anyone questions your strength then you just lie and say you forgot your sheet at home.

That is one of a handful of reasons why I never like LARP'ing the few times I tried it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    You want simplicity?....try LARP'ing!!! You have three stats: Ro, Sham, and Bo. If anyone questions your strength then you just lie and say you forgot your sheet at home.

That is one of a handful of reasons why I never like LARP'ing the few times I tried it.
    Another is: to play pen and paper games you don't need to dress up. Note that I consider leather coats, all-black clothes, and frilly shirts to be "dressing up". If there is a LARP where blue jeans and a "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" t-shirt is acceptable attire, please enlighten me.

Yet another is: pen and paper games require only minimal movements. After a long work week I can handle rolling dice, moving miniatures and counters, and stuffing pizza in my face. Walking around a field and ACTING! is just too much effort.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread needs some theme music...

"Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!"
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never dressed up while LARP'ing. I played Mind's Eye Theatre and usually wound up wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The only time I ever really dressed up was during a Dark Ages game where I made last-minute cardboard armor for my Italian centurion character. I wore jeans and a T-shirt underneath the armor anyway.

I understand the fatigue at the end of a work week and the desire to sit on one's rump and relax.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Another is: to play pen and paper games you don't need to dress up. Note that I consider leather coats, all-black clothes, and frilly shirts to be "dressing up". If there is a LARP where blue jeans and a "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" t-shirt is acceptable attire, please enlighten me.

Yet another is: pen and paper games require only minimal movements. After a long work week I can handle rolling dice, moving miniatures and counters, and stuffing pizza in my face. Walking around a field and ACTING! is just too much effort.
    You could play a zombie apoc LARP dressed that way, at least until you went from a survivor to a zombe!

Oh and if I look at a 2nd edition rule book, I can still do thaco in my head!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to LARP a long time ago. I dressed up . . . in a 3 dollar sport jacket we found a a recycled clothes store. Ah, Remember those days, one of the lowest members in the game, yet I have more ability to influence it than anyone else, though only the game masters knew that.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Gygax 6:67

And the players cried out to Him. "Deliver us from the torments"

He looked upon the wretched masses and smiled. In His voice he said "Let there be 3.0." And it was good, for he was a caring creator who gave his only d20 for our sins.
    You BLASPHEMER!!! NEVER say that Gygax had anything to do with 3.X! He is as dead to the game as Kristy Swanson is to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And on top of it, he's a total jerk (I've even gamed with him once).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast