Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time you Gm'd/Dm'd

Downloads
    Uploads

First Time you Gm'd/Dm'd

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So this weekend i Dm//Gm for the first time it wasn't as bad as i thought i had a good group of guys who were eager to play and eager to help me as well it was fun. We decided to start a d20 modern camp.. (feel free to join if you wish) but neway this thread is for everyone to discuss the first time they tried dming or gming in particular give a pro and a con

Pro: Learned a lot from a group of patient people...

Con: Had a player quit mid game because i was "a terrible dm" i was attempting to use the fog feature in the camp and apparently they were not pleased with their viewing distance in thick forest

Downloads
    Uploads
    you will always get that as a GM. no matter what there will always be players that think that your trying to screw them over or something. Don't take any offense from it.

I remember i first time i GM.... ya... lets just say that i had alot to learn, but i had good friends who offered alot of advice over the years so that each time i took the GM spot, i got better and better..
    My only suggestion to new GM's is to watch what you would call the best gamemasters as they run games and how they do it. You can learn alot by seeing how they do pacing, tempo, suspense, balance, and drama.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first few turns were very adversarial games with older kids.

I held my own.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, players are generally a bunch of whiners and doomsayers. Always complaining about this or that. But at the end of the evening they tell you, "Great game." and mean it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    inless they are from the west coast where they whine and moan ever more

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree, "Sam/Clay" is from the west coast.... he was the biggest whiner, EVAH!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks guys you helped me get over it and try again hehehe

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first time I GM'd it was supposed to be a V:tM one shot for Halloween that I had to beg for. They loved it so much that it ended up being weekly for 2 years.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't begin to try to remember my 1st DM'ing session. Definitely some old basic D&D module though. Probably Keep on the Borderlands. Hmmm??? Anyway, I can tell you this- you'll never please everyone 100%. All you can hope for the best.
    And you'll get much better. Good DM'ing is getting into your groove. You'll know your strengths as a DM (I'm good at ad libbing when the PCs throw me a curve, and I'm a decent enough storyteller, who's famous for his combat descriptions)
    Just keep truckin' man!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, that was a long time ago. Back then I always wanted my players to win and have fun. Now I want them to have fun and enjoy themselves, but winning is a silly idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran my first game never having heard of what a roleplaying game was all about... having purchased the Basic game and the AD&D DMG at the same time...thinking them as an alternative to wargaming, and having a little spare cash at the time.

It was the last day of the summer holidays and I started college the next day.

I don't think the shopkeeper knew what he was selling either..

My greatest mistake was confusing HD for hit points.... those 8hp Orcs are a bit hard when they attack as 8HD monsters!!!

Anyway, I visited a friend later the same afternoon and ran the first part of "Caves of Chaos" as a solo game. A lot of his characters died. But he had fun and is still Roleplaying with me 25 years later...

Anyway, I never did get round to reading the "What is roleplaying bit."

The following day, as I hadn't read them comepletely I took the rules to college.. where coinciendtley the person in front of me in class also played. From there I got introduced to a group that played at lunchtimes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    finding your strengths is a strange creature some times.. like i, as a player, hate long dungeons.. i know what i'm there for and just head straight for the end to get the item. I think that they slow the plot down some what. But one of my strengths is my ability to build well thought out dungeons. i don't even put the goal at the end.. mi mean if your a bad guy and had the option would you hide your secret lab at the end of a dangerous dungeon or just hide it at the begining of one behind a secret passage or something like that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first time I tried to DM was in the switch between Expert and Advanced. Our DM had returned to college, leaving us youngsters to our own devices. It was very much by the seat of my pants cooperative storytelling with little knowledge of the rules. It was great for a few weeks. Everyone loved my wild visions of a new world. I learned that DMing isn't adversarial. I also discovered the joy of creation and writing for my audience. My older brother, who knew most of the rules, eventually started his own more concrete game which we played. While it was better in many ways, we lost a lot of freedom by paying attention to the rules.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnen Baeritt View Post
    My greatest mistake was confusing HD for hit points.... those 8hp Orcs are a bit hard when they attack as 8HD monsters!!!
    I had a DM do the same thing. I think we went through about 100 characters trying to beat Bone Hill before his error was discovered.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i ran my seonc game today a d20 modern game this time i actually prepared instead of winging it.. it went much better the pc's enjoyed themselves everyone had a good time i would say 10000% improvement so much so they decided to make it a weekly game thanks for advice friends

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast