Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Newcomer

Downloads
    Uploads

Newcomer

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I sure hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place.

I just recently found this group and everything sounds very exciting. I must admit, I've been dying to get back into the gaming scene, and I had no clue that there'd be a meeting place so close by.

I'm going to go ahead and copy the schedule, but I was hoping someone could help me with any additional information I might need to know, i.e. what campaigns people are running, if there's actually any room for a newcomer, and if so what kind-of characters are needed or desired.

I'll go ahead and thank you all preemptively for your time.

Catch me if you can.

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My apologies for not piping up earlier, but is anyone running a game at Half Price Books?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like the Dallas group is a bit inactive, then... it's a shame, but considering how all the other groups nearby (that I've found) have all been dead for years, it doesn't come as much of a surprise. Seems like I'll have to continue the hunt for a while longer.

Thank you for your time, Mr. Pyatt

Catch me if you can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many local gaming forums always seem to be inactive. Plus other Dallas boards are opening up, which spreads a small number of people even further.

I hope the Dallas group is still meeting at half price. Life's been insane so I've been a no-show, but still wishing well on that. There's board gamers apparently meeting there (and others) so the spirit lives in a way, but still...

There's a few meetups with people active on those. I met a wonderful group on a day I was actually available. Mostly.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Too bad they don't all consolidate here. Cause we're the best

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's like herding cats! Not impossible, and very taxing, but really can be fun and worth it. Persistence helps. (Maybe use a sheep dog? Yes, some sort of herding assistance animal might help.)

Dallas has such a wide variety of players and just as many styles of play (not counting the desired number of games that want to be played and allergies that crop up) that one of the things that happens is many players will be uninterested in the current events/topics/games at the meets. If it's their first time then they may become discouraged. If they're coming back for more then they may get disillusioned. You would be surprised at how many don't like the gamer crowd. They've called and told me as much.

Originally, the meetings were setup to talk about gaming and allow players to form groups to play on their own. This worked out great for most of the gamers that showed up. A problem arose with the consumption of players by the groups they formed. No one was left in the parent group to form new groups. When new players would come, they found the pickings bare.

There were times that I would be the only one at the meet. Then there were times we had 20+ gamers show up.

The 20+ explosion of gamers would dwindle in the following meets, and it did this yo-yo of RSVP constantly for the years the I had been attending/organizing the groups.

I've been too busy to get out there lately, and I don't see myself attending any game for the next several months.

One of the original Meetup organizers, Chris Murphy, used to put out a newsletter with a email list that we collected from the gamers that worked a lot like what we have here at Pen and Paper Games, the Player Registry. Only it was manually typed and we got the names spelled wrong a lot. He always said that this was a lot like a dating service. In many ways it was true, but we were not just matching up two people; we're matching up multiples.

All we need now is an available and motivated organizer (or two, or more) to herd some cool cats, fighters, mages, technopaths, psions, zombies, Jedi, and space rangers!

Also, assisting those satellite groups that form on their own helps to keep the gaming community alive. If they won't join us, we'll help them in any way we can. Whether they like it or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Meetup

I was once "President" of our college Roleplaying/Board Games Club, most of the time was a one man job, which when you are motivated and have free time, it will flourish and be rewarding, but sometimes was frustrating not getting all the help you need.

In those days we arranged with the Local Convention to organize the Game Tables (the President was appointed Coordinator). That worked for 4 years or so.

Maybe we should schedule our Big meetings at "CONs" (4-5 times a year) to start with.

I have now a new Baby Girl, but I am pretty sure Mama won't get that mad for a 1 day event
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only issue I would have with 'big meetings at CON's would be that you have to pay to play.

There was a convention in Arlington this past weekend (I didn't go, but I priced it out). From what I could tell, you could get in for 20 bucks (for a day). However, if you wanted to do anything other than stand in a hallway looking at vendors, you had to pay additional monies. 10 bucks to get in to play a game. 50 bucks to see Laura Vanderpoort (Supergirl on Smallville). 10 bucks to go to the toilet. 20 bucks to get into the Anime room. And on top of it all, 10 bucks to park your car.

Needless to say, I was totally turned off. (not that I've been to a CON in the past 18 years anyway)

Ergo, my point, suddenly gaming is pay-to-play if you want to hold a game at a CON. And I can sit home and play my WoW for 15 bucks a month.

Downloads
    Uploads
    50 cold ones to see some chick from Smallville? I'm not sure which one's the bigger turn-off, the cost or their idea of a celebrity. :P

At the risk of sounding like a hippie, it's not difficult to recognize the sad fact that even the tabletop gaming world has learned the fascinating tactic known as milking something for all it's worth. Right now there's a whole community mourning the coming death of the Greyhawk campaign, which Wizards of the Coast has deemed worth getting rid of inorder to avoid having to pay Gary Gygax any royalties.

But that's just me being cynical.

Catch me if you can.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To be honest, that is nothing new. People had the same complaints about TSR being a money grubbing company. Heck, there was a common play on their acronym: T$R. If Wizards (or any other gaming company) doesn't approach table-top games as a business, then the product line overall will fail. The sad fact is that roleplaying games is an extremely niche market. With so limited an audience, gaming companies must rely on revisions and supplements to keep the revenue stream incoming.

If this means that Wizards puts out 10 tons of garbage a year and from that I get a few gems, I'm okay with that, because I'd rather get to be choosy than have no choices at all.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Touche, Farcaster, Touche.

Catch me if you can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Meetup!

Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    Needless to say, I was totally turned off. (not that I've been to a CON in the past 18 years anyway).
    Perhaps the CON idea was not that good. One thing that I had in my mind is what dallasgames.com (boardgames) are trying to do: every 3-4 months they'll do a Weekend-Marathon, and charge only $10 USD (all 3 days) which includes snacks, of course someone volunteers the "locale", but doesn't seem as something impossible to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    If this means that Wizards puts out 10 tons of garbage a year and from that I get a few gems, I'm okay with that, because I'd rather get to be choosy than have no choices at all.
    I don't mind the business approach of WotC, although I really thought the Internet will prove a bigger challenge to the publishers, being the independents able to cast a wider net, but now that I think about it, by creating D20, somehow WotC set a standard, a standard they control (sounds like Windows).
    Saluti
    Carlos