Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-Apocalypse on the East Coast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Post-Apocalypse on the East Coast

hey i am fairly new to the Post Apocalypse game setting, though i love the genre, my gaming players also like to play "local" games since we know the area, and the game seems more relevent when we have a gun fight at Florida Field (go Gators) then say at LAX. Would Florida have survived an apocalyptic event? whats your take?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quite a bit depends on what the apocalypse was...

If it was due to a meteor hitting the center of the Pacific, most of the land of Florida would be there, but the tidal wave that hit after the impact has been theorized at pretty much erasing everything else, including all of the vegetation from coast to coast. We don't have high enough land to stop it at any point as it travels across the state.

If it was due to some kind of nuclear war, I'm pretty sure portions of the state would survive because we don't have any active fault lines in the state, so we wouldn't have to worry about such things as volcanoes or massive land destroying earthquakes.

Oh yeah, and while we have the occasional military base and massive population center, they’re pretty isolated, so you’d still have major parts of the state around.

If it was due to some kind of biological plague, well, those kinds of plagues only destroy animal life or plant life, so the land would still be here.

If it was due to some kind of major flood, we’ll we’re kinda back to the meteor strike, except that you wouldn’t have any land above sea if the seas rose too much! You might have the occasional high rise poking through the flood waters, which could make for some really interesting gaming scenarios. Once again, it depends on how much water is added to the seas.

If you really want to make sure you’ve got Florida still around after the apocalypse, just use which ever scenario you want and modify it so that Florida survives. If your players really want to play in their local area, they should be ok if you take some artist license when writing up the game background.

Personally, I’ve run apocalypse scenarios in Florida, from zombies to aliens and each time, the PCs have been able to play in our local area and we’ve had lots of fun!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Quite a bit depends on what the apocalypse was...

If it was due to a meteor hitting the center of the Pacific, most of the land of Florida would be there, but the tidal wave that hit after the impact has been theorized at pretty much erasing everything else, including all of the vegetation from coast to coast. We don't have high enough land to stop it at any point as it travels across the state.
    Did you mean Atlantic? The tidal wave resulting from a meteor impact in the center of the Pacific would not wash over the Sierras leaving the center of the country relatively safe as well as the Eastern Seaboard. A meteor on the size that would create such a tidal wave to wash over the country would be on the scale needed to wipe out all life on the planet. Within 6 months all vegetation would be dead as well as the onslaught of an early ice age.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Did you mean Atlantic? The tidal wave resulting from a meteor impact in the center of the Pacific would not wash over the Sierras leaving the center of the country relatively safe as well as the Eastern Seaboard. A meteor on the size that would create such a tidal wave to wash over the country would be on the scale needed to wipe out all life on the planet. Within 6 months all vegetation would be dead as well as the onslaught of an early ice age.

but its fiction as such physics is ignored.. he dreams therefore he is

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Did you mean Atlantic?
    It seemed a mistype to me also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the help, im thinking the aftermath of a second amrican civil war

Vulture the Great

Downloads
    Uploads

2nd American Civil War

Yankees trying to free the Illegal Aliens? Just kidding ...

Well, with Globalization, you gotta find a way to isolate US from the rest of the world, or does the US take everybody down with it?

A documentary says a Solar Storm can take out almost 100% of our Electricity, we will be able to recover it in 8 years, if we survive the Chaos, Hunger and Wars
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Consider that Planet of the Apes (the original one with Charlton Heston) is a post-apocalyptic 2nd American Civil War movie.

Also I would suggest you consider the range of post-apocalyptic games out there. There's everything from Rifts to Paranoia even to The End, and they're pretty much all worth looking at for at least one reason or another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    Well, with Globalization, you gotta find a way to isolate US from the rest of the world, or does the US take everybody down with it?
    Even if you isolate us from the rest of the world, there's a good chance for collapse of the global economy anyways. The US consumes so much of the world's resources, if we collapsed, quite a few other countries would follow suit. Not saying everyone would just because we collapse, but it could start such a domino effect that the entire world economy might go along with us in that same hand basket!

How much it affected the other countries would depend on how self-sufficient they could become!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Even if you isolate us from the rest of the world, there's a good chance for collapse of the global economy anyways. The US consumes so much of the world's resources, if we collapsed, quite a few other countries would follow suit. Not saying everyone would just because we collapse, but it could start such a domino effect that the entire world economy might go along with us in that same hand basket!
    Found this while looking at past "Posts".
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    hey i am fairly new to the Post Apocalypse game setting, though i love the genre, my gaming players also like to play "local" games since we know the area, and the game seems more relevent when we have a gun fight at Florida Field (go Gators) then say at LAX. Would Florida have survived an apocalyptic event? whats your take?
    too bad my Seminole war band cant come and whoop all your butts j.k the Seminole gaming community is DEAD or at best in hiding

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol i'll take that challenge

Vulture the Great

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol i think u missed the gist of my messege there is no gaming war band they are all dead or in hiding wish i did have one itd be awesome to conduct a massive pvp FSU vs UF hehehe

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsuphilosophy09 View Post
    lol i think u missed the gist of my messege there is no gaming war band they are all dead or in hiding wish i did have one itd be awesome to conduct a massive pvp FSU vs UF hehehe
    So what you need to do is start wandering around the city and find new warriors! Recruit my fellow Floridian, find those young braves and take them through the rights of passage and form a new war band!

Seriously, I can't believe in a college town, there aren't any gamers! I'd go around the the different comic/gaming stores and see if you can post info to find gamers. Any store that I've ever been in has allowed it and if the owner doesn't want you to, don't do business with them!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed good idea... that would be a good course of action that i have considered but have been somewhat afraid of.. I will do it though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast