Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Which do you like best and why?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer and why?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basic

0 0%
  • Beginner

1 2.78%
  • Expert

0 0%
  • Advanced

2 5.56%
  • v2.0

4 11.11%
  • v3.0

0 0%
  • v3.5

24 66.67%
  • v4.0 (or what you suspect it will be like)

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which do you like best and why?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which do you like best and why?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Of the above list, pick which you favor and please list why you do.

I personally like the mechanics of 3.5, but I truly miss the books of the Beginner set. I had the Basic set, but back then, it wasn't really all that. When the Beginner, then Expert Sets came out, I was really getting into the game and fell right into the concept. The books were easy to read and had some 'fun' pictures/maps. Also, it was a time of innocence, and when I look back upon those years, I always wish to recapture the games I ran and make them better in the present.
    Last edited by Moritz; 10-19-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Missing option

Something not D&D.

Since I had to pick one, I chose 3.5. At least it has a unifying mechanic, and it's still OGL. Previous versions seemed to be random mechanics glued together.

4.0 might be better, might be worse. We'll have to wait and see.

As far as nostalgia goes, as I've mentioned before, I fondly remember The Fantasy Trip and RuneQuest. D&D was just ... there.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say 3.5 at this time, because it is the game system I have had the LEAST trouble getting groups together with to play. My longest running live game has been in 3.5.

I personally have strong nostalgia for the Basic/expert/Companion/Master version (I'll leave out the infamous Immortal Gold box and follwing "correcting "Wrath of the Immortals". I skipped AD&D 1 & most of 2 staying with that series. only got involved with 2nd ed because a friend had the books (which I later bought on my own).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its really no contest. Although I sometimes wax nostalgia for the feel of 2nd edition, the problem was that it was a deeply broken system in the higher levels. Challenges didn't scale well and character advancement started to crawl all around 12-13th level. Not to mention that the (optional) proficiency system was way too closely tied to attributes. 3rd edition did a spectacular job of fixing these problems. So, my vote is with 3.5.

I have no idea of how 4th edition will be. From what I have read, I am excited to give it a try, but a little nervous that they have made it even MORE complicated in their efforts to "streamline" it. I'm also concerned that a lot of what Wizards is doing sounds like they are redesigning the system to be more like how you would expect a MMPOG to be designed, which is not what I want in my table-top roleplaying experience.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit I like the structure of the 3.5 series, and the fact that any race can be any class. The old AD&D limited the classes by race and stats. I never got to be an old time paladin because I never could roll high enough for the stats. We used to follow the old 3d6 rule for stats.
    Though I have one worry. The acceptance of D&D players is higher than ever but many game shops are shutting down. Hopefully, this doesn't portend to people locking themselves in and playing on-line only. I still like the live game groups the best.

Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having played all of them (except Beginner...?) I'd have to plump with 2nd simply because, as a Dm, I felt comfortable with it. It had a better skills system than AD&D 1st ed.. and was a quicker system and less complicated system than 3rd or 3.5 ultimately became. Yes, it had quirks, but quite simply, as a DM I like to be able to make adjudications based on MY knowledge of the situation rather than the players knowledge of the rules...

(If 4.0 goes the way of Saga SW then I suspect my opinon may change once again with respect to skills only..)...

Of all them I've played 1st and 2nd about equally. And have found that the combat was handled a LOT faster in the early editions.

I'm afraid I'm not too au fait with "matching encounters" since I'm not a great fan of players apparently only ever meeting things that they can handle (because they are a certain level..).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I chose 3.5. For the most part the rules and mechanics flow very well so as not to detract too much from the role playing aspect. Plus there are so many race, class, and prestige class combinations that the mechanical aspect will never get old.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Version 3.5 is a love-hate relationship for me. It is the best written and most sound version of the game ever produced.

As a DM, I see that the 'rule for everything' attitude of 3.5 has become somewhat cumbersome. The system seems to lend itself toward the rules lawyers and power gamers to an alarming extent.

As a player, my fondest memories are the earliest. Many unforgettable moments from expert and advanced immediately spring to my mind. Most of my favorite characters came from second edition, though. Looking back through the veil of the years, it almost seems unreal. It is like looking back at my early memories of my father and seeing the disconnect between the language that was spoken. A language that I no longer think in, that has become faded and almost alien.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can I pick none?

A few years ago, I got into a small game of Basic, and while it was ok, it didn't enthrall me anymore.

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I suspect the 4.0 will lend itself to players being about to play characters that make sense to them. The biggest change I can see people flocking to 4.0 is with the "no-dead-levels" that has plagued the previous versions.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What's a 'no-dead-level' ?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    What's a 'no-dead-level' ?
    "Dead Levels" are the levels where you don't get any feats, spells, or special class abilities, just increases to BAB and saves (if that).
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thats tough, I like when elves were elves and dwarves were dwarves (basic). I like AD&D 2e from a GMs perspective (no minis required) and I like 3.5 as a player (hurray skills) and 4e fixes a pet peve I have had since the beginning (spells per day)...

I guess I have to say 3.5 because I can still play it like AD&D 2e its just got gobs of flexibility (just might take more time than 2e). However I hate feeling forced to use minis. Thanks to the OGL theres some really good non WOTC/TSR stuff out there to. Oh and I can convert things from 3.5 to BRP fairly easy to.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 10-22-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as a class based game system, I just like 3.5 better than all of the rest. I like the fact that the system has changed to roll greater than for every aspect of the game. It's fairly easy to determine what a difficulty rating will be for any task and then have the players roll it.

Plus, the players can get a general idea of what roll they'll need to make for success by how hard the task is.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to go with 3.5, mainly because it was the one I started on. I did go back and play 2nd for2 or 3 games, but I couldn't get into it and I felt limited in my options. I am a play who likes a lot of choices, be it feats, classes, races or anything else. And when I DM, I enjoy the way the system flows. I would say that the only problem with it is the same thing I love, the amount of options can overwhelm players and its sometimes hard for me to get them to just make characters because the spend all day looking up feats trying to find the perfect combination for their character. This doesn't just mean the most powerful either, my GF once spent days looking for the right feats just because she wanted them to fit the character's story.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast