Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What's Diceless? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's Diceless?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The best way i ever ran a diceless game wherein everyone thought i was fair and felt like they made a difference (its too easy to appear as if you are just telling a story and everyone is along for the ride) was to set aside three types of "uses" (tailored to the setting - it can be what you need it to be) that each character had a certain amount of (different characters can impact different things). Then, i went with best stats and story effect combo unless a character wanted to step in and play one of the "use" actions that would ensure success in an activity.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    pieces of paper in a hat
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Whats the point

I guess it would all depend on why you are moving to diceless. If its to sped things up and focus on story, then my previous answer applies. If you just don't want to use dice, then you are just substituting some other form of random checking and i have to ask whats the point? If its just to change things up, great... but systems are designed around averages and math behind dice and if you are using what you think is just some other manifestation of dice, it may be the math behind your method is different. I've never actually tried to do that... i've only gone diceless in order to speed up resolutions and focus more on story... of course i prefer checks (using dice or appropriate resolution means).

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    look at ....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What everyone has failed to mention is the dice less RP we used to do as little kids before we discovered dice and random results. In the way old days we played without dice and it was fun. Actually, it still is fun as long as we don't have to play with the kid who never died in army man or cowboys and Indians. It's all about the people we play with.

Once, while making that four or five hour drive to Gen Con we did dice less. The five of us played the same game we had played for years even though our dice were all packed in the trunk. Was one of the best sessions we had ever had.

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be trying out an Amber Diceless game next weekend. So far, all the players rave about how good it is.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The quality of Amber is highly dependent on the quality of the GM. Nuff said.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OMG! - We began diceless RPG'ing on long car drives. It really makes you think. One GM I had (a very good one) would sometimes say, "No dice figure it out yourselves." I adopt that philosophy many times when I GM. Once players have enough clues, I figure there's several of them and one of me. They should be able to outthink me. That's a player's job.

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    The quality of Amber is highly dependent on the quality of the GM. Nuff said.
    That could be said about a great many RPG's. What was your experience playing Amber diceless?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    That could be said about a great many RPG's. What was your experience playing Amber diceless?
    Agreed, the quality of GM is important regardless. However some times it is more important.

Full Disclosure. My friend's experience with Amber. He was an advid Amber player what,fifteen-twenty years ago. And would speak at length on how the GM made or broke the game. With equal over all gaming expeiacne to my own and having played the game often.I'll take his word on that. I will also add that Ron can tend toward the negative. I am taking that into account here. It's not a knock on the Amber system. He had a lot of fun with it. He was a regular Ambercon attendee for several years running. He stopped going when Eric Wujcik left Michigan for Sierra Studios. With Eric no longer with us it's highly unlikley he will return to it.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12