Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Campaign NPC's

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Campaign NPC's

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I just got finished creating a 100 page book of NPC's for any campaign and thought I might take the time to share the process I went through. I used an NPC generator that I got from the internet, Jamis Buck 3.5 NPC Generator. I used Open Office Writer. I generated approximately 220 pages worth of NPC's of various classes, races, alignments and levels. Copying and pasting them 40 at a time until I had the desired amount of pages at 10pt font size. Exported the final doc as a PDF file to my flash drive. Went to the Office Depot web site, print services and uploaded it to them. Selected 20lb recycled paper, B&W dbl sided, wire bound, hard back and a couple of other basic options, and in about an hour from now I'll be picking up the book. Cost around $22.00 tax and all. I'm fairly certain I have between 200 to 250 NPC's in stat block format with motivations and background. I have added below a single example of what one looks like. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hemil, male elf Rog2: CR 2; Size M (4 ft., 10 in. tall); HD 2d6+2; hp 9; Init +4 (+4 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 14 (+4 Dex); Attack +1 (+1 Base) melee, or +5 (+1 Base, +4 Dex) ranged; SV Fort +1 (+0 Base, +1 Con), Ref +7 (+3 Base, +4 Dex), Will +2 (+0 Base, +2 Wis); AL LE; Str 11 (+0), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 14 (+2).

Languages Spoken: Common, Elven, Gnoll, Gnome.

Skill points: Rog 50

Skills and feats: Bluff +7 (+5 Rank, +2 Cha), Climb +5 (+5 Rank), Decipher Script +7 (+5 Rank, +2 Int), Gather Information +4 (+2 Rank, +2 Cha), Hide +9 (+5 Rank, +4 Dex), Jump +5 (+5 Rank), Listen +4 (+2 Wis, +2 Racial), Move Silently +8 (+4 Rank, +4 Dex), Open Lock +9 (+5 Rank, +4 Dex), Search +4 (+2 Int, +2 Racial), Sense Motive +6 (+4 Rank, +2 Wis), Sleight of Hand +11 (+5 Rank, +4 Dex, +2 Deft Hands), Spot +4 (+2 Wis, +2 Racial), Use Magic Device +7 (+5 Rank, +2 Cha); Deft Hands, [Evasion].

Possessions: 2,000 gp in gear.
    Primary motivation: Revenge against the Church of Moradin. The character feels an overwhelming need to exact revenge.
    Secondary motivation: Divine. The character is compelled to act according to their religious beliefs. Recent Past: The character had a recent encounter with one or more rats.
    Check for traps always. Move silently all the time and know when to run regardless of what the rest of the party is doing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's cool. Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it once you have the hardcopy in your hands.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished Product

The finished product is worth its weight in gold pieces. Looks like something you would buy from a bookstore, albiet a little random for my taste as a first run. I have refined the prototype a little now and broken everythin down by Race, any non evil alignment, and NPC Class first, then PC Classes, Multiclasses, and so on. Will be sending to print next week. total time invested, 3 hours. $22.00 tax included. first run had over 300 NPC's, just not laid out well, but room to make notes in margin about campaign location, last name or any changes.
    Check for traps always. Move silently all the time and know when to run regardless of what the rest of the party is doing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds cool. Are you interested in sharing a PDF copy of your work?
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Sounds cool. Are you interested in sharing a PDF copy of your work?
    Heck yeah! Just email me. Check for a PM. The file came out around 1 meg in PDF. There are no multiclass NPC's at this time, Im working on that. I have a second volume that I haven't converted to PDF yet, but would be happy to share that too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Posted

The PDF is posted in the User Pages, Resources, Fantasy for all to view and hopefully find useful. I am in the process of revising it once again, attempting to do a very detailed break down including multiclasses of both NPC classes and PC classes up to mid level. The Table of Contents is a little off so only use it as a reference of whats included.