Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Pulp-fiction hero creation

Downloads
    Uploads

Pulp-fiction hero creation

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am starting a new weekly campaign in the Champions setting and it is set in the days of pulp heroes. Right now I am trying to figure out what type of character I would like to play. I appreciate any ideas you might have. From what I can gather (I was informed not long ago today we were playing a new genre) that it will be 350 point characters with technology limited to the genre, so no laser gadgets or microchips.

I'm trying to decide if I should play a star-spangled super patriotic hero or something dark and broody like the Green Hornet or the Shadow.

Let me hear your ideas!! I have until this Saturday evening to create a hero!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing that concerns me is 350 points limited to gadgets. In a pulp game, I could write up a GOD with 350 point multipower or VPP.

To me, Pulp may be around 125, if that high.

But, since you're a player, let's talk.

Gadget Multipower (Utility Harness) (OIF, Breakable, Replaceable, Charges/Battery (50 or 3 days), (200pts active)
    -Desolidification
    -RKA Pistol - affects solid - AP - NND
    -Ability Modifiers
    -Flight
    -Force Field vs Everything
    -Teleportation
    -and every other power in the book.

Remember, you can have 3 powers active at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We aren't limited to gadgets...just no technology past the genre so no microchips or fusion engines.

Once you see the villains the GM usually throws at us you will see why 350 points may not be enough....in the last campaign we fought a Nazis Alien Deity....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh sweet, then make a VPP with Molecular Rearrangement in mind. You will be a god.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Or, you could just do a "Tom Strong" / "Doc Savage" approach and make a character that cannot be stopped, invincible, super strong, etc. A 275 point EP - Always On. Shunting points into characteristics, or you may not even need that angle. Just drop it a few points and give your characteristics such a bump that you'd be a god.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was watching some old Batman cartoons and Babylon 5 re-runs and I was a little inspired. I'm thinking urban technomage/ninja where I use technology and theatrics to augment my low-level powers and create a persona of someone much more powerful. My other thought was a Jason Blood type character where I am a fit, healthy man bound with the soul of an angel instead of the demon. That way I could justify all the limitations I would want to take.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's too much concept for my brain to wrap around. But go with a MP and you'll have every power in the book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But alas, its the power not in the book I want. :P

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hang on there. What power do you want? Champions/Hero is so generic you're able to simulate just about everything.

Unless it's a 32d6 GM Control

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have that power Mo. If she crosses me I withhold the lovin'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Limited to the genre"?? Hmmm... how about the streatchy guy who has to drink his formula to go do his thing. And it only last an hour, aproximatly. Or the gadget guy who can fly, but the helicopter is quite noisy and requires total concentration because of its natrual instability. And then there is the Mage, but he only has three or four spells, and he is not REALLY sure that one actually activates that earth golem he just built. What about the shape shifter that every one is convinced is actually a werewolf, and they are trying like h#*@#, er ... heck to see if he is allergic to silver.

I've got others if yer interested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The game started a few weeks back. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

I'm playing a billionaire playboy who flunked out of ninja school for cavorting with the teacher's daughter. I used my money to build a power suit that gives me ninja-like abilities and I pretend to be some powerful wizard using technology to simulate spells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    We aren't limited to gadgets...just no technology past the genre so no microchips or fusion engines.

Once you see the villains the GM usually throws at us you will see why 350 points may not be enough....in the last campaign we fought a Nazis Alien Deity....
    Of course you did. Every game is better when you are fighting Nazis.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    I am starting a new weekly campaign in the Champions setting and it is set in the days of pulp heroes. Right now I am trying to figure out what type of character I would like to play. I appreciate any ideas you might have. From what I can gather (I was informed not long ago today we were playing a new genre) that it will be 350 point characters with technology limited to the genre, so no laser gadgets or microchips.

I'm trying to decide if I should play a star-spangled super patriotic hero or something dark and broody like the Green Hornet or the Shadow.

Let me hear your ideas!! I have until this Saturday evening to create a hero!
    Is this a Pulp Hero game or a Golden-Age Champions game?